Swiftech Storm or Apogee GT?

BigRollTide

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Want to O/C an E6600 to 3.4+. Will be Northbridge water cooling to on the same lines, possibly also GPU, not positive.

Do I need to water cool the Southbridge?

If Storm, will the 655 be good enough or should I go for something more?

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I did my homework on water blocks and I found that the Storm and the Apogee GT performed the same, but the Apogee is less expensive.

The southbridge does not get very hot.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Storm is a very good water block as I am using it in my cooling rig right now. I'm very satisfied of that piece of copper. As for south bridge it does not need to be water cooled as long as it has a small heatsink on it, it should be good to go. If you're going to extreme overclocking then you need to make your system as stable as possible and this include actively cooling the north bridge. If you have some space, then get a better heatsink fan on the north bridge. Thermalright HR series north bridge heatsink fan is the best out there. Cons is that this thing is very huge. Granted your'e getting a very good liquid cooler you might as well include the north bridge to the cooling loop.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I think GT is less restrictive than Storm....

And this dude wants to cool NB and mabye GPU with one pump... I would probably recomend an Apogie GT...

Aivas47a

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I am using the Apogee GT and am quite happy with the performance. As a prior poster noted, I believe the Apogee will give better flow rates especially in an extended daisy chain (chipset, GPU).

Northbridge cooling is important for achieving high FSB. A good heatsink with a 40mm fan screwed on will generally do the trick but of course water is even better. Swiftech makes nice chipset blocks, I am using one on my Northbridge too.

I would not worry about water cooling the Southbridge, just make sure you have a decent heatsink and air flow.

I would also note that, processor permitting, you should be able to support an E6600 at 3.4Ghz (or close to it) on good air cooling too.

Good luck!

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
If you can run an E6400 at 3.6GHz on air (RobsX) then you can definately run an E6600 well over 3.4 on air.

It really depends on the chip. You are right some will hit 3.6 on air and some barely hit 3. I had a E4300 that didn't want to play nice over 350*9 (granted that isn't a 6400), but I have seen E4300's taken to 9*520.

As for the OP

Don't even try to WC those 3 things in one loop. The CPU will probably end up putting out 150w with all the voltage increases and speed increases. Northbridge still puts out a good bit of heat, maybe 40w (i am totally guessing at that figure) and if you add a GPU that is adding another 150w+ (depending on the card). Can your rad handle 350w+? Only rads that can dissipate that are twin 2x120's or select 3x120's from the Thermochill PA series (i think).

The NB problem can be solved with an aftermarket heatsink and the GPU should really be on a separate loop if you want to get the most overclocking out of your CPU/GPU. For example the HR-05 which I just ordered with a 5v 70mm fan. It will accomplish the same end result and not add heat to your cooling loop.