question about emerald

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2005 10:35:40 PM

Does anyone else notice a slight pause when you enter a pokemon center,
and the screen stays dark for about a second?

More about : question emerald

May 2, 2005 2:56:10 AM

>On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:35:40 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
>Does anyone else notice a slight pause when you enter a pokemon center,
>and the screen stays dark for about a second?

I've not noticed that but if you're playing with the rom on Visual Boy
Advance, some slowness is to be expected.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:56:11 AM

James wrote:
>>On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:35:40 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Does anyone else notice a slight pause when you enter a pokemon center,
>>and the screen stays dark for about a second?
>

> I've not noticed that but if you're playing with the rom on Visual Boy
> Advance, some slowness is to be expected.

Uh, I'm playing Emerald on a DS. Can you check next time and see if you
get it too?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:27:10 AM

Hildr Katze wrote:
> johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com (John Salerno) asked;
>

>>Does anyone else notice a slight pause when
>>you enter a pokemon center, and the screen
>>stays dark for about a second?
>

> Yes, I see the same thing on my DS... also, FR/LG & R/S have the same
> pause when played on the DS. IMHO, it's a DS 'thing.'

Actually, I tried it out on my GBA just to be sure, and it does it there
too. But since I'm not the only one, I'm guessing it has something to do
with the way the new games are programmed...perhaps something to do with
the wireless adapter (since it's only Pokemon Centers that do this).
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:33:06 PM

In article <3-adnZw6p7u-5-jfRVn-pQ@rcn.net>,
John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>James wrote:
>>>On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:35:40 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Does anyone else notice a slight pause when you enter a pokemon center,
>>>and the screen stays dark for about a second?
>>
>> I've not noticed that but if you're playing with the rom on Visual Boy
>> Advance, some slowness is to be expected.
>
>Uh, I'm playing Emerald on a DS. Can you check next time and see if you
>get it too?

I tried it on my DS (I think the battery on my Advance SP is wearing
out), and when I entered a Pokemon center (not any other sort of
building) I always got a moment of near-darkness. I could see things,
but they were very dim. Then the lights came on, and everything was
normal.

I like the display on the DS, but it doesn't fit into my pocket as
well, and I'm always worried that I'll accidentally hit the power
button while playing. I've done it before.

BTW, Emerald can't seem to use the DS wireless adapter, so I guess
it isn't a software issue. Also, the Coliseum Bonus disk won't
download a Jirachi onto it. They seem to mean it about putting
Jirachi on Ruby and Sapphire cartridges only.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
May 3, 2005 10:09:05 PM

David Thornley wrote:

> I tried it on my DS (I think the battery on my Advance SP is wearing
> out), and when I entered a Pokemon center (not any other sort of
> building) I always got a moment of near-darkness. I could see things,
> but they were very dim. Then the lights came on, and everything was
> normal.

Yeah, this seems to be normal then, which I guess is better than it just
being me! :)

> I like the display on the DS, but it doesn't fit into my pocket as
> well, and I'm always worried that I'll accidentally hit the power
> button while playing. I've done it before.

I can't believe how much of an improvement the DS screen is over the SP.
The SP is so dark compared to it. The only down-side, it seems, is that
because it's so much brighter, some of the pastels have a tendency to
look a little washed out (maybe I think this because on the SP, it's
just so dark), but the text is really sharp and everything looks great.

> BTW, Emerald can't seem to use the DS wireless adapter, so I guess
> it isn't a software issue. Also, the Coliseum Bonus disk won't
> download a Jirachi onto it. They seem to mean it about putting
> Jirachi on Ruby and Sapphire cartridges only.

That's true, you can't even use the link cable with the DS to trade either.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:13:01 AM

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Hildr Katze wrote:
>> johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com (John Salerno) asked;
>>

>>>Does anyone else notice a slight pause when
>>>you enter a pokemon center, and the screen
>>>stays dark for about a second?
>>

>> Yes, I see the same thing on my DS... also, FR/LG & R/S have the same
>> pause when played on the DS. IMHO, it's a DS 'thing.'
>
> Actually, I tried it out on my GBA just to be sure, and it does it there
> too. But since I'm not the only one, I'm guessing it has something to do
> with the way the new games are programmed...perhaps something to do with
> the wireless adapter (since it's only Pokemon Centers that do this).

It most definitely pauses on both but otherwise seems fine.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:13:02 AM

Raph wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hildr Katze wrote:
>>
>>>johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com (John Salerno) asked;

>>>Yes, I see the same thing on my DS... also, FR/LG & R/S have the same
>>>pause when played on the DS. IMHO, it's a DS 'thing.'
>>
>>Actually, I tried it out on my GBA just to be sure, and it does it there
>>too. But since I'm not the only one, I'm guessing it has something to do
>>with the way the new games are programmed...perhaps something to do with
>>the wireless adapter (since it's only Pokemon Centers that do this).
>

> It most definitely pauses on both but otherwise seems fine.

Thanks for confirming! I keep feeling better about it, instead of having
that feeling that I got the one bad cart! :)
!