Active Sync works, WLAN works, iPaq 4150 does everything BUT

June 19, 2005 5:29:33 PM

My iPaq works. It does ActiveSync with no problems. WiFi works to my
LinkSys router. Internet access works. Amazingly, everything works
just like I want it to.

Was playing around yesterday wondering if I could establish a
peer-2-peer network. HP makes reference to it on their web site as an
"ad-hoc" network but does not explain how to establish it.

From both my wired PC and my WiFi'd laptop I can ping the iPaq but
when browsing the network the iPaq doesn't show up. Is it possible to
establish a peer-2-peer connection between the iPaq and another PC
using WiFi? Has anyone tried this?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:28:28 AM

I believe you don't understand the terminology correctly. An "ad-hoc network
would be a direct connection between your PC and the iPAQ without the
LinkSys router. It would be useful if you took say a notebook PC and the
iPAQ and went to a motel. You could pug the notebook in to the LAN at the
motel, and use the iPAQ to surf the Internet from anywhere in the room.

PocketPCs do not appear in Network Neighborhood by design, this is a
security feature. You can get additional software and run it on your
PocketPC to make it show as a web page or as an FTP server. But I'm not
aware of anything that will do exactly what you want.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

<tripped@tennis.net> wrote in message
> My iPaq works. It does ActiveSync with no problems. WiFi works to my
> LinkSys router. Internet access works. Amazingly, everything works
> just like I want it to.
>
> Was playing around yesterday wondering if I could establish a
> peer-2-peer network. HP makes reference to it on their web site as an
> "ad-hoc" network but does not explain how to establish it.
>
> From both my wired PC and my WiFi'd laptop I can ping the iPaq but
> when browsing the network the iPaq doesn't show up. Is it possible to
> establish a peer-2-peer connection between the iPaq and another PC
> using WiFi? Has anyone tried this?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:59:32 AM

I do understand the terminology. After reading my previous post, my
rambling description was confusing. I am trying to establish a
peer-2-peer (ad-hoc) network for file sharing. Can this be done; if
so, how.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:28:28 -0400, "David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile
Devices" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote:

>I believe you don't understand the terminology correctly. An "ad-hoc network
>would be a direct connection between your PC and the iPAQ without the
>LinkSys router. It would be useful if you took say a notebook PC and the
>iPAQ and went to a motel. You could pug the notebook in to the LAN at the
>motel, and use the iPAQ to surf the Internet from anywhere in the room.
>
>PocketPCs do not appear in Network Neighborhood by design, this is a
>security feature. You can get additional software and run it on your
>PocketPC to make it show as a web page or as an FTP server. But I'm not
>aware of anything that will do exactly what you want.
June 24, 2005 12:29:01 PM

tripped@tennis.net wrote:
> I do understand the terminology. After reading my previous post, my
> rambling description was confusing. I am trying to establish a
> peer-2-peer (ad-hoc) network for file sharing. Can this be done; if
> so, how.

Not easily.

To browse files on a PC from a Pocket PC use Pocket Lan.

To browse files on a pocket PC using a PC use active sync over wifi,
webserver software or FTP software.

--
rmg.
Anonymous

There's two totally unrelated things there - establishing an ad-hoc network,
and sharing files. Since you already have an infrastructure mode network set
up and working, establishing an ad-hoc network should be as simple as
checking the "This is a device-to-computer (ad-hoc) connection" checkbox in
the wireless settings of your PPC network interface, and finding the
equivalent setting on your PC and laptop. If your router currently acts as
your DHCP server, you'll also have to configure static ip addresses or set
up your PC to be a DHCP server.

As to the file sharing, whatever solution you use will work exactly the same
whether in ad-hoc or infrastructure mode. Programs such as Resco Explorer
will let you browse your PC/laptop network shares from the PPC. As mentioned
in another reply, FTP works well in the other direction, you need a Pocket
PC FTP server for that - Cambridge Software sell one
(http://www.cam.com/vxftpsrv.html), there are others around.

Tony

!