Storage Memory Filling up Puzzle

June 19, 2005 7:12:15 PM

Puzzle- Memory says I'm filling up "Storage" (27MB used of 34MB
allocated) and "Program" (13MB used of 29MB allocated) on my 64MB RAM
Mio 168 (NAVMAN PIN 100). When I use File Explorer, however, to look
at the actual files it sees in the PDA main memory, I only count about
6.5MB of stuff (including 5.4MB in Program Files).
Does anyone have any idea why the system is telling me 27MB are
used when File Explorer only shows about 6.5MB? (I don't know what to
delete to free up space).
Thanks very much.
R/Jeff
June 20, 2005 1:01:30 AM

Rene-
Thank you. That did the trick:
Internet Explorer Delete Files lowered the In Use Storage from 26.6MB
to 14.4MB !! In Use Program memory also went down from 12.7MB to
8.7MB (didn't expect that).
Beverly-
Thanks but I had tried Find Large Files from the memory display page.
It didn't find the culprit files above, but just one big 1MB file that
I knew about but couldn't delete.
R/Jeff
June 20, 2005 1:06:40 AM

Beverly-
Is there a way to get Internet Explorer to put those files on the
STORAGE CARD? I have plenty of space there and it wouldn't impact
performance as what was happening to me above.
THanks,
R/Jeff
Related resources
June 20, 2005 2:39:32 AM

Jeff <Jeffrey.Weiss@sri.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea why the system is telling me 27MB are
> used when File Explorer only shows about 6.5MB?

Check Internet Explorer. (Tools, Options, Memory, Clear History and
Delete Files).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 20, 2005 2:39:51 AM

another problem that causes this situation are accidental sound
recordings... when on the memory display page, run "find large files"

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 20, 2005 3:25:57 AM

think there may be a registry poke, but (imho) the better solution is to
simply clear the cache every week or so.

In my observation the cache doesn't seem to help load times much if at
all, it simply allows previously viewed pages to be accessed when not
connected to the internet.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 20, 2005 3:25:58 AM

message news:uu5moAVdFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> think there may be a registry poke, but (imho) the better solution is to
> simply clear the cache every week or so.

Here's the registry poke, courtesy of a user on this
NG. I have mine set to 2048, it works.

Using your well trusted Registry Editor, you will have to go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Content

you will have to change the DWORD Data from 19456 (decimal value) to
any value of your preference from 512 up to 19456. I amusing these
values basing it on the Microsoft default value of 512 and the amount
set by default in my iPAQ h2210 being 19456. These values reflect the
size in KB.

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 19456
Base Decimal

In this example, the value was changed from 19456KB to 2048KB:

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 2048
Base Decimal

This then limits the size of the cache to 2MB which leaves the rest of
the RAM free for other applications to use.

--
ppcsurfr
ppcsurfr's Profile:

> In my observation the cache doesn't seem to help load times much if at
> all, it simply allows previously viewed pages to be accessed when not
> connected to the internet.

a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 20, 2005 9:34:01 PM

Jeff,

In the future you may want to try "TreeSize" It is a freeware application
that shows where all you memory is being used.

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/treesize.shtml

Dave

!