Problem with 160gb hard drive

Hi
Have new pc with 160gb Maxtor hd. 137gb recogised. Old version of xp pre
sp1, have sp1 and 2 installed now. Also installed Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.
In computer management recognises one drive of 152.66gb divided into 128gb
ntfs - healthy (system) and 24.67gb unallocated. Right clicking on
unallocated portion allows menu with “new partition� then decide between
primary or extended partition.
Does anyone know the procedure from here on in, considering that the rest of
the drive is already populated with programs and I don’t want to reformat?

Cheers
Icedragon
1 answer Last reply
More about problem 160gb hard drive

    Hi,

    How you proceed depends on the result you desire. You can simply create an
    additional volume with free space (using the right-click option from the
    disk manager), then format it and begin storing files. If you want to expand
    the existing "C" drive into the free space, you will need a third party
    partitioning utility like BootIT NG or Partition Magic.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Icedragon" <Icedragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Have new pc with 160gb Maxtor hd. 137gb recogised. Old version of xp pre
    > sp1, have sp1 and 2 installed now. Also installed Maxtor Big Drive
    > Enabler.
    > In computer management recognises one drive of 152.66gb divided into 128gb
    > ntfs - healthy (system) and 24.67gb unallocated. Right clicking on
    > unallocated portion allows menu with “new partition� then decide
    > between
    > primary or extended partition.
    > Does anyone know the procedure from here on in, considering that the rest
    > of
    > the drive is already populated with programs and I don’t want to
    > reformat?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Icedragon

Hard Drives Windows XP