Problem with 160gb hard drive

icEDragon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001

Hi
Have new pc with 160gb Maxtor hd. 137gb recogised. Old version of xp pre
sp1, have sp1 and 2 installed now. Also installed Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.
In computer management recognises one drive of 152.66gb divided into 128gb
ntfs - healthy (system) and 24.67gb unallocated. Right clicking on
unallocated portion allows menu with “new partition� then decide between
primary or extended partition.
Does anyone know the procedure from here on in, considering that the rest of
the drive is already populated with programs and I don’t want to reformat?

Cheers
Icedragon

Hi,

How you proceed depends on the result you desire. You can simply create an
additional volume with free space (using the right-click option from the
disk manager), then format it and begin storing files. If you want to expand
the existing "C" drive into the free space, you will need a third party
partitioning utility like BootIT NG or Partition Magic.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone