Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hello. I'm running an E6600 on an ASUS P5B-E mb. I've been having lots of intermittent problems with this new system. I noticed today when I had asus probe ii up that the vcore voltage was fluxuating from 1.28v to 1.14 and at the point it went to 1.14 the asus probe would come up with a warning about the vcore voltage.

What could be the most likely cause of this? The power suppy? The CPU or the MB? I've noticed sometimes I'll run memory tester software and I'll get like 500 errors and sometimes i can run it for hours with no errors also.

Also something i'm confused about is my cpu speed is reported as 1600mhz unless i'm doing something, and I have SpeedStep turned off.

Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'm using an ASUS P5B-E MOBO with an OCZ GameXstream power supply (700W). If i do remember correctly it seemed like when the system was first together I would push the power button and it wouldn't come on unless i hit it a few times or something weird like that, maybe I didn't have something connected correctly but that issue seems to have stoppped. I hooked it up to one of those cheap power supply tester and it passed that, though I know those aren't fully accurate as they don't test it under a full load.

Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
:lol: . o O (man... is speed step that much of a pain for people?)

Yes it is. Intel should just drop it now and save everyone the headache.

Are you guys being serious or just making fun of my noobness? Do other people have these speedstep issues?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Sorry.. I'm just in a complaining mood. I've seen this question or symptom perhaps too many times.

Speed step is design to help your system save power if in idle state. The Asus software may need to be tuned or configured for the fluctuation that speed step may cause for power changes.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I wouldn't jump on the PSU so quickly. I know it is a vital part, but the guy is only talking about with the system up and running, and perhaps not even doing anything.

My knowledge isn't that great with PSU's, but if he gets another, and sees the same thing happen...

I think there are going to be faces with colors... :oops:

Edit:

Say you wouldn't know this other guy with this thread, would ya?

CPU-Z reports multiplier switching from 6 to 9

In CPU-Z, it fluctuates back and forth between Core Speed 1600 MHz and Multiplier 6, and Core Speed 2400 MHz and Multiplier 9.

I have an E6600 CPU and an Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard.

Why is it doing this? Is is normal?

Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
My origional idea was to get a 700w thermaltake toughpower but I read reviews on this one and it was cheaper but am starting to regret it now. I had a thermaltake in my other pc and it worked like a dream, I'm really considering ordering a thermaltake PS and trying it in the system and if it stops sending the ocz back for a refund since i still can. What spec sheet are you refering to, and does anyone know anyone with these speedstep isusues?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Only suggestion I have, is to run something like Prime95, and watch your vcore, as well as temp. Its a good program to see if your stock settings are stable. CPU-Z should also show the stock speed, when the CPU is under load.

Also, this is the only way I know of how to totally disable speedstep:

7 Q: Turning off SpeedStep in the BIOS seems to have no effect whatsoever upon the machine's ability to change the CPU rate. How do you disable SpeedStep. I am using WinXP.

A: You must have it turned off in the BIOS and in WinXP. If you go into the Power Applet in Control Panel and select the Always On option it will disable Speed Step. Right click your desktop > Click properties > Click Screen Saver > Power button > Change the Power Scheme to always on.

The 2 parts that I was trying to remember, I thought it was in the bios. Apparently, its in the bios and within windows.

Other then that, it could be possible that you may have some kind of issue with the PSU.

Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
ahh I see what the other fellow said about the other setting in Bios. Yeah, I've been running Prime 95 (the 64 bit version) and I guess i've ran it twice now for an extended period of time. It seems to be the only program I can consitantly get to error out. One time it ran for an hour and gave an error and the other time it ran for 4 min, but didn't really indicate what the error was besides that it was just going to stop.

Only suggestion I have, is to run something like Prime95, and watch your vcore, as well as temp. Its a good program to see if your stock settings are stable. CPU-Z should also show the stock speed, when the CPU is under load.

Also, this is the only way I know of how to totally disable speedstep:

7 Q: Turning off SpeedStep in the BIOS seems to have no effect whatsoever upon the machine's ability to change the CPU rate. How do you disable SpeedStep. I am using WinXP.

A: You must have it turned off in the BIOS and in WinXP. If you go into the Power Applet in Control Panel and select the Always On option it will disable Speed Step. Right click your desktop > Click properties > Click Screen Saver > Power button > Change the Power Scheme to always on.

The 2 parts that I was trying to remember, I thought it was in the bios. Apparently, its in the bios and within windows.

Other then that, it could be possible that you may have some kind of issue with the PSU.

Zaekeon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
ONe thing i've noticed is when cpu usage is high I can hear some high pitch static in my headphones, it's very weird.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
There is a second power saving function of the Core 2 Duo, C1E, SpeedStep manages multiplier, C1E manages speed and voltage, make sure C1E is disable too. This may be the what you are observing.

Is it possible to run stable while o/c'ing AND keeping both speedstep and C1E enabled? I'm building a q6600/p5b deluxe based system and want to run @ 9x333 but would like to keep both of them both enabled for power savings/temp reasons.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I think the answer is no.

You really can't have something adjusting the FSB/vcore/multiplier while the CPU is out of spec, since you want to run it faster.

You raise the vcore to get the system stable at higher levels. The unfortunate draw back in OC'ing will be more heat, on any system.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
You can try, but the result will most likely be instability. Not only do these things lower your voltages and core speeds, they also place a burden on NB resources. It's not really going to hurt anything to try to keep them enabled when OC'ing, but you'll probably get more crashes than if you disabled them.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
It is possible to run speedstep while overclocking, but it is likely that it will be unstable. Also, you can't adjust the voltage if speedstep is enabled. It is possible to do, however. For example, I run my Opty at 2.7ghz at 1.35v with C&Q enabled, which clocks the chip down to 1.5ghz at 1.1v.

Good Luck

First off, SpeedStep is doing its thing. its normal. Dont worry about it.

Next, If the OCZ 700 watts is bad then so is the FSP. THEY ARE THE SAME DAMN PSU. OCZ only got downed to tear 3 for its poor ass label(as far as i know).
imageviewyz5.jpg

fsp_fx700_%20epsilon_internal.jpg

Anything look familiar?

Last thing. you CAN overclock with speedstep on, you just will not be able to add voltage. This means you will hit your limit(you cant go as far on stock voltage) earlier.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
...also the Asus P5B boards suffer dreadful Vcore droop under load so you might wanna up it a notch or two from stock, my p5b dlx will droop .02V under load...there is a mobo mod if you can be bothered.

The high pitched whine in yer phones is another problem with the board (presuming you're using onboard audio)..its the crappy soundmax drivers and/or chip - get a cheapo soundcard if its a real pain.

oh yeh..."I would push the power button and it wouldn't come on unless i hit it a few times or something weird like" that's also an intermittent "feature" of the p5b. Look in the asus mobo forum on here, you'll see many posts with similar problems, if you tinker about you can get it to work no probs, don't by a new PSU just yet m8.