Finally, AMD made a good choice; FX-76 Cancelled

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=270&Itemid=1

OK

Well, thats good? I guess having it all end at 3ghz is a nice round number. I wonder if it would overclock AT ALL if they did make it. Maybe a few mhz lol

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Very smart of them. Last thing they need are more 90 nm processors floating around when they are already overstocked on 90 nm.

I'm looking forward to barcelona..Atm I'm on a icky p4 prescott....Going to build a new rig within a year. If barcelona takes the crown from the c2d going to nab one for my rig ^_^...

RichPLS

Champion
True Dat!!! For AMD to release a chip, the stock speed must be stable for 24/7 use, and to do this a margin below the actual max operating speed is held, and it seems to be in the 15 to 20% range, whereas Intel has been more liberal with their margins in the past, as a result they overclock higher percentage wise...

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Very smart of them. Last thing they need are more 90 nm processors floating around when they are already overstocked on 90 nm.

I'm looking forward to barcelona..Atm I'm on a icky p4 prescott....Going to build a new rig within a year. If barcelona takes the crown from the c2d going to nab one for my rig ^_^...

The last thing they can do is get 3.0 GHz out of 90 nm.... they cancelled because they can't do it.

8O jack i'm surprised... isn't the x2 6000+ 3.0ghz. :?: .. iirc i read in a pc something magazine that the 6000+ is th fx 7? for am2... but i could be wrong... x2 6000+

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006

The last thing they can do is get 3.0 GHz out of 90 nm.... they cancelled because they can't do it.

8O jack i'm surprised... isn't the x2 6000+ 3.0ghz. :?: .. iirc i read in a pc something magazine that the 6000+ is th fx 7? for am2... but i could be wrong... x2 6000+

That is why I posted 3.0 GHz is the last that could do, the next bin is unreachable.

My suspicioun is they are also getting this last top bin out with an aggressive poly line width tweak, which means yields are likely depressed.

This is typically how both AMD and Intel push a top bin, Extreme or FX edition CPU and why they cost so darn much.... (and consequently, why Intel still charges > 900 bucks for 965EE).

ok sorry been a long day my brain interpreted your post incorrectly. i read they could not do 3ghz, not, 3ghz is the best they can do with 90nm.
my bad.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Was the FX-76 ever on AMD's official roadmap? I've only seen it speculated about.

Just wondering since the same author who announced the FX-76 to the world (Link) is the same one saying it's been cancelled.

Not that I don't trust the Inq or it's staff.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

That is why I posted 3.0 GHz is the last that could do, the next bin is unreachable.

My suspicioun is they are also getting this last top bin out with an aggressive poly line width tweak, which means yields are likely depressed.

This is typically how both AMD and Intel push a top bin, Extreme or FX edition CPU and why they cost so darn much.... (and consequently, why Intel still charges > 900 bucks for 965EE).Baron will chime in that it's Intels fault for causing this price-war, and that's why they cancelled it. He's gotta pass-the-buck, whenever he can. :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
nothing unusual, kinda like the 4ghz P4 being canned - with a new core around the corner, no point in embarrassing them selves like intel did with the 1.13ghz Coppermine P3.
The difference being, that Intel could have released a 4GHz P4...no problems...not so for AMD's FX-76.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
nothing unusual, kinda like the 4ghz P4 being canned - with a new core around the corner, no point in embarrassing them selves like intel did with the 1.13ghz Coppermine P3.
The difference being, that Intel could have released a 4GHz P4...no problems...not so for AMD's FX-76.
Not that 4ghz meant much on p4.

Good one.@ Vern & JJ: Do you couple'a cowboys want me to get all huffy now, like the Baron? :D :D

Bite Me!! :(

Both your comments are beside the point that i was trying to make.... Hmmmm. :wink:

they could have released an 8ghz but the fire retardant case would have cost more then the cpu, and i dont think intel could find any material that could survive 12,000+ *c either 8O

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Do you couple'a cowboys want me to get all huffy now, like the Baron?

Stay off my jock little girl, unless you have something you need to get off your chest... in which case BedStuy is where you need to be not anonymously talking crap on a Forum.
:twisted:

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
This is great news, it shows that AMD is starting to make some better decisions instead of launching new processors on the outdated line they have. Although you have to give it to them that the althlon processor lasted so long. How long have they been running on the same/similar architecture?? its been a while. That just proves that AMD knows what its doing in the long run.

They seem pretty confident that they will come back so hopefully AMD's confidence along with some great price drops :) :) :) :) can boost everyone's confidence.

The only thing they need to do with their older lineup is to stop making processors of every variation. Sure if they still have stock then they should continue to sell them but this whole thing about 2.2ghz 512kb and 2.2ghz 1mb is stupid. Get rid of the 1mb variants in the low end to make the low end cheaper and keep the mid-high end just 1mb. I bet that would save money

Its just like video card lineups when they become outdated. Manufacturers stop making certain models and keep making the best sellers.