USB keyboard and mouse stop working at windows 7 login

G

i just bought a new mouse and i wanted to install it. i couldnt remember which usb cable was my mouse and which was my keyboard so i unplugged one, wiggled the mouse, unplugged the other, the mousewasnt moving so i plugged it into that one. After that i noticed the new mouse worked but the keyboard stopped working. I restarted the computer and the problem im having now is that the keyboard works in BIOS etc but once windows 7 loads to the login, it stops working as does the mouse. HELP!

Gemini365i

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hello,

I just wanted to let u know, I had this same issue for about 2 weeks. Basically what happened was a bad install of my AMD Chipset drivers. When I attempted to upgrade, the install didn't go all the way through.
I then restarted my system, and BAM! No Mouse or Keyboard functionality thru USB.

Even when I went into SAFE MODE the Mouse and Keyboard were not functional. The only time they worked was when the computer first attempted to start, BEFORE windows loaded.
So, this means that your issue is a software problem.

I thought it was some other software that I installed, and ran a restore session, but that wasn't the issue. Still no functionality.

I even tried removing my CMOS battery, to reset it, since some people said that had solved their problems...Still nothing.

I then read other forums around the web using my Android phone to try and find a solution, only those solutions were no help.

I was also advised to run: MSCONFIG and Hide all Windows programs and then stop every other driver, source from loading (of course if my mouse and kb worked, I would have tried that).

I had even read that because I was using USB, that I should try using a PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard connection.

It took me 2 weeks to get the correct PS2 adapter that worked, which would essentially allow me access to my system again...

I Purchased a USB A Female to PS2 (MDIN6) Male Adapter (for Mouse) from SFCable.com

This my friends, was a lifesaver. I only have one PS2 port on my system, so I used my mouse to try every option I had previously read about. Of course you cannot type because the keyboard doesn't work, so you need to know the location of the folder where the programs you are trying to run are.

So, a little after I got back into my system, and I closed down all programs, the warning screen came up that ALL of my USB Ports failed and could not be updated. I even Uninstalled every last USB port from the System Properties and restarted, and still that didn't work.

I had forgotten that during the time when this problem arose, there was a failed install of my AMD chipset drivers, so luckily I had not deleted the source file and I tried to reinstall, and VIOLA! I'm back up and running and my USB ports are restored and everything is working!

I hope this solution is able to help other people out there.

Thanks,
JE - Gemini365@GMAIL.COM

Esinem

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
Make sure you use the black USB 2 ports.

I had exactly this on my Asus z97. Mouse & kbd in BIOS but lights went out when Windows starts to load. It seems USB3 is default on my Z97 but Win 7 has no native USB3 drivers so it has no idea that they are there. It seems you need to disable xHCI, whatever that is when it's at home

uglysquid

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
While this thread is old, the problem still exists, so for anyone searching, here is the solution that worked for me.

After trying everything mentioned here, the only thing that worked for me was, in the bios, disabled keyboard error reporting. On startup, the keyboard and mouse now worked. Rebooted and entered the bios again, enabled keyboard error reporting, and it still worked.

Drayak

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

I have the same problem, upgraded my CPU and mobo to FX-8350 and ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, everything was like charm until I installed the drivers for the mobo using the CD provided by ASUS. The mouse and keyboard works until some point before the login screen, they turn off at the same time and never come back on.

I use windows restore to the point previous the chipset upgrade and it works fine, but windows automatically updates the drivers and back to the problem.

Any Ideas how to solve this?? I tried installing the latest drivers from ASUS and the problem is the same!

Thanks

UPDATE.
found this solution:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-usb-drive-this-device-cannot-start-code/3021c2c3-f595-4a9d-afc6-bbc6d9b69bc9

After deleting both registry keys (LowerFilters and UpperFilters) which BTW were not blank. Everything worked correctly.

Lizzie_1

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

Lizzie_1

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Hi. All this has been interesting to read but I don't feel confident enough to do any thing suggested. The problem is that I installed windows 10 today but I have two icons on the logon screen one me and the other grandchildren. When install finished it had only imported grandchildren and not me! No email etc etc! So I restored back to windows 7. Apparently it has loaded correctly but once it get to the logon screen where both icons now appear the mouse and keyboard don't work so I can't get into my screen. Help please. In simple language tell me what to do.

kk____

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I think by this time everyone knows the solution, however providing it for one more time :)
If you notice this issue after AMD Graphics Driver installation then download supported drivers from
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

fill the steps in "Manually Select your driver" section, which gives you supported drivers then select "Optional downloads" to include
such like Chipset Drivers, AHCI Driver, USB 3.0 Driver, etc...
which will resolve your Mouse and Keyboard problem