  • Connection
  • Internet
  • Windows XP
March 31, 2005 8:23:02 PM

I recently had to create a new connection to the internet. Since then, I
have to wait for over 1 minute before I can connect to the internet or to
open "network connections" in control panel. I contacted my ISP and was told
that the setting is a Windows XP setting, not one in my ISP settings. I have
looked through all settings, including those that might be related, such as
"power options", "network connections", "phone and modem options",
"administrative tools, "internet options" and cannot find a check box/setting
that can be changed so that I can again connect to the internet upon booting
up my computer. Would someone tell me where this option is located? Thanks.

More about : setting connecting internet

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:54:44 PM

It's been awhile since I've had a dial-up connection but I do recall this
issue. I'm not positive but I believe this is the setting you need to
check. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, select Internet Options, go to
the Connections tab, with your dial-up ISP connection selected (I assume you
were referring to a dial-up connection), click settings and make sure there
is no check next to "Automatically detect settings." If it is checked, then
maybe it's the other way around, remove the check and click ok, then, reboot
the system and test the connection...sometimes these things don't "take"
unless you reboot!:-)

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had to create a new connection to the internet. Since then, I
> have to wait for over 1 minute before I can connect to the internet or to
> open "network connections" in control panel. I contacted my ISP and was
> told
> that the setting is a Windows XP setting, not one in my ISP settings. I
> have
> looked through all settings, including those that might be related, such
> as
> "power options", "network connections", "phone and modem options",
> "administrative tools, "internet options" and cannot find a check
> box/setting
> that can be changed so that I can again connect to the internet upon
> booting
> up my computer. Would someone tell me where this option is located?
> Thanks.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:03:02 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for replying. Even though I have SBC Yahoo DSL, I changed the
settings as you suggested, rebooted my computer but I still had the same
problem of having to wait over a minute to connect and to get into Netword
Connections in Control Panel. Hopefully a different setting change will
help. Any more ideas?

Denise

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It's been awhile since I've had a dial-up connection but I do recall this
> issue. I'm not positive but I believe this is the setting you need to
> check. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, select Internet Options, go to
> the Connections tab, with your dial-up ISP connection selected (I assume you
> were referring to a dial-up connection), click settings and make sure there
> is no check next to "Automatically detect settings." If it is checked, then
> maybe it's the other way around, remove the check and click ok, then, reboot
> the system and test the connection...sometimes these things don't "take"
> unless you reboot!:-)
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently had to create a new connection to the internet. Since then, I
> > have to wait for over 1 minute before I can connect to the internet or to
> > open "network connections" in control panel. I contacted my ISP and was
> > told
> > that the setting is a Windows XP setting, not one in my ISP settings. I
> > have
> > looked through all settings, including those that might be related, such
> > as
> > "power options", "network connections", "phone and modem options",
> > "administrative tools, "internet options" and cannot find a check
> > box/setting
> > that can be changed so that I can again connect to the internet upon
> > booting
> > up my computer. Would someone tell me where this option is located?
> > Thanks.

April 1, 2005 5:20:24 AM

Ah, my instructions only apply to dial-up. See Jim Macklin's post in the
thread and see if that helps.

Also, as I recall from DSL, you have to click to connect. However, if you
connect through a router, I don't think that's the case that might resolve
the issue. For both DSL and Cable, you are actually always connected but
with DSL, if you don't connect through a router, their setup usually
requires you to go through a sort of gateway and click a connection icon.

Something else that might cause the problem, check your firewall logs as the
firewall may have a rule set that might be causing the pause.

--

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for replying. Even though I have SBC Yahoo DSL, I changed the
> settings as you suggested, rebooted my computer but I still had the same
> problem of having to wait over a minute to connect and to get into Netword
> Connections in Control Panel. Hopefully a different setting change will
> help. Any more ideas?
>
> Denise
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It's been awhile since I've had a dial-up connection but I do recall this
>> issue. I'm not positive but I believe this is the setting you need to
>> check. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, select Internet Options, go
>> the Connections tab, with your dial-up ISP connection selected (I assume
>> you
>> were referring to a dial-up connection), click settings and make sure
>> there
>> is no check next to "Automatically detect settings." If it is checked,
>> then
>> maybe it's the other way around, remove the check and click ok, then,
>> reboot
>> the system and test the connection...sometimes these things don't "take"
>> unless you reboot!:-)
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently had to create a new connection to the internet. Since then,
>> > have to wait for over 1 minute before I can connect to the internet or
>> > open "network connections" in control panel. I contacted my ISP and
>> > was
>> > told
>> > that the setting is a Windows XP setting, not one in my ISP settings.
>> > have
>> > looked through all settings, including those that might be related,
>> > such
>> > as
>> > "power options", "network connections", "phone and modem options",
>> > "administrative tools, "internet options" and cannot find a check
>> > box/setting
>> > that can be changed so that I can again connect to the internet upon
>> > booting
>> > up my computer. Would someone tell me where this option is located?
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:55:03 AM

Hi again Michael,

I've had SBC Yahoo for about 2 years now and I've always had to either
double click on the SBC Yahoo icon on my desktop or right click/connect. The
problem is is that when I first boot up, I can't get on the internet right
away as I was always able to do before SBC and I created a new connection.
About 6 - 8 weeks ago, I had my computer reformatted and I had to create a
new connection to SBC and I ran into the same problem. I just can't remember
which box I was told to either check or uncheck in order to be able to
connect immediately. It was just one simple setting change/one click of my
mouse. SBC is now trying to tell me that a minute wait is the norm when I
know it's not.

I also checked my firewall settings. I first unchecked the local area
connection and rebooted but I had to wait the minute in order to connect.
The next time, I re-checked the local area connection and unchecked the SBC
DSL connection and rebooted but I still had to wait the minute in order to
connect. The third time, I unchecked both of them, with the same results. I
then went into Internet Options and checked/unchecked boxes to see if doing
that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I added Internet Exeplorer and
MSN Explorer to my list of exceptions in order to "allow communications with
a program," but that didn't work either.

If anybody has other thoughts, I'd sure like to hear them.

Thanks again Michael . . . I appreciate you help . . . Denise

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Ah, my instructions only apply to dial-up. See Jim Macklin's post in the
> thread and see if that helps.
>
> Also, as I recall from DSL, you have to click to connect. However, if you
> connect through a router, I don't think that's the case that might resolve
> the issue. For both DSL and Cable, you are actually always connected but
> with DSL, if you don't connect through a router, their setup usually
> requires you to go through a sort of gateway and click a connection icon.
>
> Something else that might cause the problem, check your firewall logs as the
> firewall may have a rule set that might be causing the pause.
>

> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Thanks for replying. Even though I have SBC Yahoo DSL, I changed the
> > settings as you suggested, rebooted my computer but I still had the same
> > problem of having to wait over a minute to connect and to get into Netword
> > Connections in Control Panel. Hopefully a different setting change will
> > help. Any more ideas?
> >
> > Denise
> >
> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> It's been awhile since I've had a dial-up connection but I do recall this
> >> issue. I'm not positive but I believe this is the setting you need to
> >> check. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, select Internet Options, go
> >> the Connections tab, with your dial-up ISP connection selected (I assume
> >> you
> >> were referring to a dial-up connection), click settings and make sure
> >> there
> >> is no check next to "Automatically detect settings." If it is checked,
> >> then
> >> maybe it's the other way around, remove the check and click ok, then,
> >> reboot
> >> the system and test the connection...sometimes these things don't "take"
> >> unless you reboot!:-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
> >>
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>

> >> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:01:54 AM

Does your DSL modem connect with a USB cable or does it use
an Ethernet cable? ( The Ethernet cable uses a connector
that looks like a big telephone plug, USB uses the
rectangular metal plug).

In the Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections
page, you should have "never dial a connection" selected and
have the LAN settings set to use the DSL and automatically
detect settings.

Leave your DSL modem powered on all the time, even if you
turn your computer OFF.

wrote in message
| Hi Michael,
|
| Thanks for replying. Even though I have SBC Yahoo DSL, I
changed the
| settings as you suggested, rebooted my computer but I
still had the same
| problem of having to wait over a minute to connect and to
get into Netword
| Connections in Control Panel. Hopefully a different
setting change will
| help. Any more ideas?
|
| Denise
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:09:28 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:55:03 -0800, denisedenise wrote:

> SBC is now trying to tell me that a minute wait is the norm when I
> know it's not.

No answer just some random thoughts on the problem:

1) I had SBC in the past. Although your connection is "always on," there is
a required logon before the connection is active. It's currently spring
break in many areas. There may be enough daytime traffic that their
authentication servers are slower than normal.

2) A setting in connection properties that might help is the one related to
logging off after x minutes of idle time. Change the setting so that there
is never a log off.

3) If using the SBC software (I never used that), does it supersede and
manage log off as well as log on? If yes, may need to check the software
for a similar setting.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I do seem to recall such an issue with broadband and it may be related to
one of the following settings.

Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, select Internet Options, go to the
Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section. As I recall, it was related
to one or possibly more of the certificate checks. You will note there are
three such options in the list, Check for publisher's Certificate
revocation, Check for server certificate revocation and Warn about invalid
site certificates.

Currently, on my setup, the server certificate revocation is unchecked. If
it is unchecked on yours as well, you might test some of the others, one at
a time and see if they make a difference. Only one requires a reboot but
I'd reboot after each one to make sure the system actually picked up the
change.

I have a vague recollection of the problem being related to one of the
certificate checks. As I'm using a ghosted image that I've restored several
times, I likely made the change a long time ago when I had the issue. It's
been about 3 years since I had DSL, hence, I'm not sure of the specific
selection but I think this may be the setting you are seeking.

--

> [...]
>> the
>> firewall may have a rule set that might be causing the pause.
>>

>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Michael,
>> >
>> > Thanks for replying. Even though I have SBC Yahoo DSL, I changed the
>> > settings as you suggested, rebooted my computer but I still had the
>> > same
>> > problem of having to wait over a minute to connect and to get into
>> > Netword
>> > Connections in Control Panel. Hopefully a different setting change

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:17:02 PM

Hi Sharon, Thanks for your input.

I've had SBC Yahoo DSL for about 3 years now. My son used to reformat and
add new programs to my computer and whatever checkbox he used always allowed
me to connect to the internet immediately upon start-up. I never had to wait
more than the time it took for me to move the mouse to the icon and double
click on it, no matter the time of day or year. It was always instantly
available.

Recently, my son's friend reformatted my computer and I noticed that there
was a waiting period. When I asked him about it, he directed to me a setting
and I had to either check or uncheck a box. Upon doing so, I again was able
to connect to the internet within a second or two after my computer started
up.

Unfortunately, my computer was crashing and freezing up on an almost
constant basis and my son's friend is now long available to guide me to the
settings since he's moved and I don't know to get in touch with him again. I
brought my computer to a tech and he determined, after reformatting my
computer again, that my RAM was no good. He installed new RAM and my
computer has worked like a charm ever since . . . no crahes or freeze-ups,
but he doesn't know anything about the setting that can be changed so that I
can connect to the internet instantly, as I was able to do previously.

I've contacted SBC Yahoo DSL tech support and we've deleted the connection
and created a new connection several time but it hasn't solved the problem.
My computer tech says that it's a SBC Yahoo DSL setting and SBC Yahoo says
that it's a Windows setting. So I'm caught in the middle. I'm not a newbie
with computers as I've been using them since the DOS Shell and my son taught
me a lot about them (he had completed tech high school with a major in
computer tech and was in his second year of college toward the goal of
becoming a computer/technical engineer), so I can do more than the average
computer user. But this one setting is eluding me and I remember that it was
very simple. . . just open a window, click on a tab, then click a check box
either on or off.

It seems that no one else knows about this check box and I wish that I had
committed it to memory but, at the time, I didn't think that I'd have to use
it again, and I just followed his directions and forgot them just as fast.

This setting does exist because I've unknowingly and knowingly used it for 3
years. The questions is, where is it located!?!

Sharon, thanks again. . . Denise

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:55:03 -0800, denisedenise wrote:
>
> > SBC is now trying to tell me that a minute wait is the norm when I
> > know it's not.
>
> No answer just some random thoughts on the problem:
>
> 1) I had SBC in the past. Although your connection is "always on," there is
> a required logon before the connection is active. It's currently spring
> break in many areas. There may be enough daytime traffic that their
> authentication servers are slower than normal.
>
> 2) A setting in connection properties that might help is the one related to
> logging off after x minutes of idle time. Change the setting so that there
> is never a log off.
>
> 3) If using the SBC software (I never used that), does it supersede and
> manage log off as well as log on? If yes, may need to check the software
> for a similar setting.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:31:02 PM

Michael, thank you so much again for your response. "Check for server
certificate revocation" was already unchecked. I then unchecked both "Check
for publishers certificate revocation" and "Warn about invalid site
certificates." I rebooted my computer but it didn't help. I still had to
wait in order to connect to the internet. About an hour ago, I uninstalled
and reinstalled McAfee virus scan/center and it didn't change anything
either. This has me very baffled. I know the check box is there and I know
that it was very easy, and I can't believe that I forgot it just as easily.
I considered knocking my head against the wall a few times to see if it would
jar my memory but I decided that it would be a bad idea because my neighbor
would probably call the management company and complain about the noise. :)

I'm commited, one way or the other, to finding this setting . . . it's now
become a challenge and it's probably sitting there, out in the open, but it
can't be seen like the forest for the trees.

Any other thoughts or ideas are gladly welcome.

> [...]

> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Ah, my instructions only apply to dial-up. See Jim Macklin's post in the
> >> thread and see if that helps.
> >>
> >> Also, as I recall from DSL, you have to click to connect. However, if
> >> you
> >> connect through a router, I don't think that's the case that might
> >> resolve
> >> the issue. For both DSL and Cable, you are actually always connected but
> >> with DSL, if you don't connect through a router, their setup usually
> >> requires you to go through a sort of gateway and click a connection icon.
> >>
> >> Something else that might cause the problem, check your firewall logs as
> >> the
> >> firewall may have a rule set that might be causing the pause.
> >>

> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:53:16 PM

Denise, if I think of anything else, I'll post back. If you finally find
the settings, please do the same, I'd certainly like to know what's causing
this.

--

> [...]
>> > connection and rebooted but I had to wait the minute in order to
>> > connect.
>> > The next time, I re-checked the local area connection and unchecked the
>> > SBC
>> > DSL connection and rebooted but I still had to wait the minute in order
>> > connect. The third time, I unchecked both of them, with the same
>> > results.
>> > then went into Internet Options and checked/unchecked boxes to see if
>> > doing
>> > that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I added Internet Exeplorer
>> > and
>> > MSN Explorer to my list of exceptions in order to "allow communications
>> > with
>> > a program," but that didn't work either.
>> >
>> > If anybody has other thoughts, I'd sure like to hear them.
>> >
>> > Thanks again Michael . . . I appreciate you help . . . Denise

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:31:04 PM

I'll let you know. It seems like many people have this problem but I haven't
had it until just recently.

Thanks again everybody and if you think of anything else worth trying, just
let me know.

> [...]

> >> If
> >> it is unchecked on yours as well, you might test some of the others, one
> >> at
> >> a time and see if they make a difference. Only one requires a reboot but
> >> I'd reboot after each one to make sure the system actually picked up the
> >> change.
> >>
> >> I have a vague recollection of the problem being related to one of the
> >> certificate checks. As I'm using a ghosted image that I've restored
> >> several
> >> times, I likely made the change a long time ago when I had the issue.
> >> It's
> >> been about 3 years since I had DSL, hence, I'm not sure of the specific
> >> selection but I think this may be the setting you are seeking.
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:56:29 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:17:02 -0800, denisedenise wrote:

> I never had to wait
> more than the time it took for me to move the mouse to the icon and double
> click on it, no matter the time of day or year. It was always instantly
> available.

When I had DSL, I lived close to a local college and every night at 5PM
they would transfer huge amounts of data (backups?) over their DSL
connections. It tied up the local bandwidth enough that getting connected
was slow until about 7PM. I brought this up just in case similar
circumstances (but on a seasonal basis) were common to your area and it
might ring a bell for you. Sorry it was off of the mark.

I wish I knew what setting your friend's son changed to. I have had cable
for about a year now so my memory of DSL tweaks has grown hazy. Like
Michael, I would be interested in knowing what it is if you ever track it
down again.

One more suggestion for you: You might try the SBC forums over at
www.broadband.net. There's some knowledgeable folks that hang out there and
they may be able to help you find the elusive setting again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User