My Windows XP Backup Utility doesnt work. Need help.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I have two hard drives. Using the second hard drive exclusively for page file and backing up data. I have windoes XP pro w/ SP2 and have all updates installed. I used XP's backup wizard thingy to create a once a month, every month, backup in the task manager. Howerer, when the times comes for it to run, it doesnt run. It never has run.

I get this error in the log:

"Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 3/22/2007 10:22:18 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed; therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account information existed for the task.
The specific error is:
0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler security database for the task indicated.

I have no clue why this isnt working and I would like to figure out how to get XP "to be ABLE to find account information in the Task Scheduler security databas for the task indicated" so that it will run.

I have googled this and have gotten nothing that is a fix.

If I use the wizard to have the backup do "RUN NOW" whatever...it worked fine. I am logged on as an administrator. "A little help..."

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
You need to open up the backup scheduled task (in control panel) and make sure a username and password is assigned to the task. The username and password assigned should probably have administrative privileges on the machine.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
OK I figured it out and you are correct about the "task" needing a password. But, that wasnt my problem. My problem was that even though I have admin on my home computer obviously. I was using a blank password for my admin acct so that is boots directly to the desktop. Yea I know, terrible security. Anyways, I set up my admin logon acct to use a password then I recreated the backup tasks (with a name and password for the task) and it ran fine. I then reverted back to no password for my logon so that i totally skip the logon screen and boot directly to the desktop and the task still runs.

So to sum up, it appears that you cannot logon using a blank password and then set up tasks to run. Once logged on with an admin password, and set up tasks, you CAN then go back to a blank logon password and the tasks will still run.