My Computer Properties Shows Different Speed!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I have a big problem with what my computer shows. Whenever I have my multiplier in 9x, it will show everything correctly. But if I change the multiplier (to get higher OC) and I go to My computer properties, it will show as if I were using 9x multiplier. Orthos will do the samething, will show like I have 520mhz FSB and 6 multiplier or sometimes 7 but thats not my real speed and I think thats what makes orthos fail.

Ok ok, so if you got confused, here is what I mean

tomspc0.jpg

kwalker told me that by reinstalling windows would help, but see, I reinstalled windows with 7 multiplier and it stills shows 333x9 which makes it 3.0ghz (supposedly) but Im really at 2.33Ghz

Is there a way I can solve this? I would really appreciate. Thanks!

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Did you remember to turn off speedstep when you did your overclock? Windows I believe will only show what your cpu runs at full speed where as cpu-z will show the fluctuations in speed when speedstep or cool n quiet kick in and out.

I have an AMD with Cool 'n Quiet (obviously) and sometimes Windows ("System Properties", "General" tab) will show my speed with the CPU partially throttled up (9X multiplier instead of full 10X) but not all the way usually. Mainly depends how much load that puts on the CPU before it reads your speed. Just something to consider.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Your overclock is fine, unless you manually set the multiplier to 7.
Otherwise it is just a power saving feature. If you do something that will increase CPU usage, CPUZ should show the 3GHz you are looking for.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
No no no!

I have everything disabled in BIOS including all spectrums and speedstep C1E, xD etc

My current multiplier is 7 ( I manully put it) , but windows shows as if my CPU were running at 9x multiplier.

you see, my current FSB is 333mhz and multiplier 7 and my current speed is 2.33Ghz. Now when I go to system properties, windows shows as if the FSB were mutliplied by 9x (thats why it shows 3.0ghz cause 333x9 is 2999.9)

How can I solve this? I want windows to show my real speed not other speed with a totally different multiplier.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Im planning on downloading the last NVIDIA drivers (I have an striker-extreme with last BIOS)

Current nForce is 9.1 and lastest is 9.53 so that might fix it.

Will come back with results.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
No no no!

I have everything disabled in BIOS including all spectrums and speedstep C1E, xD etc

My current multiplier is 7 ( I manully put it) , but windows shows as if my CPU were running at 9x multiplier.

you see, my current FSB is 333mhz and multiplier 7 and my current speed is 2.33Ghz. Now when I go to system properties, windows shows as if the FSB were mutliplied by 9x (thats why it shows 3.0ghz cause 333x9 is 2999.9)

How can I solve this? I want windows to show my real speed not other speed with a totally different multiplier.

:? Hmm...
Good question. I have no idea. If you figure it out, I doubt it will affect anything other than changing the text that is displayed. Personally, I don't think I would worry about it, but that is just me.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well, I didnt think it was a problem until things started to get complicated...

Take a look at this Orthos screen

problwmwz7.jpg

And thats what I think is making me FAIL the test! Even thought I should be able to get what 8 hours at least? my voltage is 1.39v so I dont think thats the problem.

But what is the problem is that Orthos thinks I have 512mhz FSB x7! and Im pretty sure thats what is making me fail the test (It wont run for more than 3 mins)

Help please! :cry:

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Got a few questions for you:

What motherboard do you have?
What RAM do you have?
What is your memory speed when your test fails?
What are your memory timings?
What is you memory voltage?
Are there any other voltages that you have control over besides CPU and memory?
Does the test fail even when you were running 2.33GHz with 333fsb?

Many of these questions could be answered by showing the memory and SPD tabs of CPU-Z. I'm not familiar with Orthos and how it works, but there are many things that can make a system less that stable or reliable. The motherboard/chipset and the RAM are also factors.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Got a few questions for you:

What motherboard do you have?
What RAM do you have?
What is your memory speed when your test fails?
What are your memory timings?
What is you memory voltage?
Are there any other voltages that you have control over besides CPU and memory?
Does the test fail even when you were running 2.33GHz with 333fsb?

Many of these questions could be answered by showing the memory and SPD tabs of CPU-Z. I'm not familiar with Orthos and how it works, but there are many things that can make a system less that stable or reliable. The motherboard/chipset and the RAM are also factors.

Striker Extreme
Corsair TWIN2X1024C4 1GB DDR800 4-4-4-12 2T 2.1v
Is always 800mhz whenever at 333mhz or 400mhz FSB
4-4-4-12 2T manually
2.1v
CPU VTT is in 1.25v, 1.2V HT is 1.25v, NB is 1.40v, SB is 1.50v.
When I was in 333mhz, It ran for 10 mins, but then I closed it cause I wanted to increase the FSB more. But at 400mhz is when the problem begins, the computer would freeze after 3 mins of orthos and I would have to reset.

However, I have played Cod 2 for like 1 hour and it didnt freeze or crashed or nothing (at 400mhz FSB).

I increased the voltage for the vcore but that doesnt seem to fix or at least make orthos run longer, in fact, it makes it run less time.

Cant test if the voltage is right because Im almost sure that that error in orthis (showing wrong FSB and multiplier) is what makes it fail.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Striker Extreme
Corsair TWIN2X1024C4 1GB DDR800 4-4-4-12 2T 2.1v
Is always 800mhz whenever at 333mhz or 400mhz FSB
4-4-4-12 2T manually
2.1v
CPU VTT is in 1.25v, 1.2V HT is 1.25v, NB is 1.40v, SB is 1.50v.
When I was in 333mhz, It ran for 10 mins, but then I closed it cause I wanted to increase the FSB more. But at 400mhz is when the problem begins, the computer would freeze after 3 mins of orthos and I would have to reset.

However, I have played Cod 2 for like 1 hour and it didnt freeze or crashed or nothing (at 400mhz FSB).

I increased the voltage for the vcore but that doesnt seem to fix or at least make orthos run longer, in fact, it makes it run less time.

Cant test if the voltage is right because Im almost sure that that error in orthis (showing wrong FSB and multiplier) is what makes it fail.

I would be very surprised if your problem were in the software. Those kinds of problems haven't existed for a long time as far as I'm aware. Instability issues while overclocking are generally always hardware related. If you'll notice, it says "est" next to the speed. That stands for estimated. Another way of being sure would be to try Prime95.

I'm wondering how you know that your memory is always running at 800MHz? With a 333fsb, it is impossible to run exactly 800MHz unless your board has abilities that I've never heard of before. The memory speed is based on your fsb. Typical ratios are 1:1, 4:5, 3:4, 2:3, 1:2. CPU-z will tell you which ratio and the actual speed of your RAm under the memory tab.

I don't have a Core 2 so I don't know all the ins and outs of the details of settings, so I would suggest you look at this thread: Core2Duo Overclocking Guide
You don't have to follow everything he says, but looking at it might give you some ideas. I would suspect insufficient voltage or faulty memory settings.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Because whenever I run at 333mhz FSB x7, I open CPU Z to check everything and it says memory running at 400mhz.

Im downloading nForce 9.53 since almost 2 hours ago since ASUS servers are so freakin slow. Is in 65% And once is done I will upgrade my system. Maybe that is the problem.

I also noticed Nvidia Monitor shows the same error as orthos. It shows FSB as 512mhz (when it really is 400mhz FSB right now)