Sign in with
Your question

Anyone have a Dell 2407 LCD?

Tags:
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 24, 2007 1:47:19 AM

The a04 version is shipping now and I here it's an improvement over earlier renditions.

I have Viewsonic vp201b 20" now and ilke it but would like larger/wider.

Need general opinions and have one specific question not found on Dells was website specs.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

The Specs say it compresses down to 15.3 inches in height which will fit under the 16.5" Shelf over my desk.
But how far off the desk will the monitor itself, not legs, be... or equivalently, what is the height of the monitor/the whole frame, without the stand?

thanks,
marc

More about : dell 2407 lcd

March 24, 2007 4:40:27 AM

i am too inebriated to do research tonight but man am i jealous. when i get home from college around may i am buying a widescreen 22".. but man thats a nice monitor.. so many options with it. anyways.. sry this post isnt helpful but tomorrow i will do some research and see what i come up with.

by how far off the desk, do you mean height between bottom of the monitor and table top?
March 24, 2007 5:50:59 AM

I just messured mine 17" with screen not tilted.
Related resources
March 24, 2007 6:42:27 AM

Thanks JoeWho... but the Specs (see link above) say the Unit WITH stand telescopes down to 15.3" ... so how can the frame alone be 17" high?
Does dell have it wrong?

Phil it's down to $629 at Dell store for a 24"- pretty good- tho you can get the 22" wides like acer for Under $300. Big difference I guess.
Never was an ACER fan but saw the 22" in the store the other day and it's very nice looking; text especially.

ASUS A8v DeluxeMB
AMD 3500+ just upgraded to 4400 x2
160 GB WD
Geforce 5700LE 256MB-- looking for slight upgrade
1 GB Corsair VS just upgraded to 2GB OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
430W Thermaltake PS
Raidmax Virgo w 120mm and 80mm
Viewsonic vp201b 20" 1600x1200
March 24, 2007 6:52:23 AM

honestly.. an extra 2 inches is not worth 300 dollars...! when i get home i am going to costco ( i live in the us) and i am going to buy a really nice hdcp 22" widescreen for sub 300. dell and hp make GLORIOUS monitors. and apple.. but i would NEVER spend that money on them..

right now i am at college with just my mac book pro 15" widescreen.. but at home i have my e6600 and a dual 15 inch lcd.. when iget home i will get a 22" wide.. which will be so nice.. but i wouldnt pay100usd more for a 24 inch.. just check the aspect ratio and contrast ratio. for contrast.. i might get a 700:1.. but i would liek atleast 1000:1.. not sure if i would notice a difference though.. my two 15 inches are like 200$ monitors from like 2002-2003
March 24, 2007 6:58:45 AM

Phil I have 400:1 Contrast on my 20" vp201b and I have to Adjust it down to about 60% of that. It's blinding unless you're working in Daylight.

Again tho $-wise I agree and the 22" ACER which I saw in Circit City for 300+ is down to 250+ at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
March 24, 2007 7:00:10 AM

im not going to lie.. i really like the viewsonic 22" widescreen.. the VG2230wm.. its only 700:1 contrast but its got great reviews... i dont.. my first build. which was my last computer was garbage.. the p4, which is the netburst design and GARGAGE.. ill update my signature with my new computer..

in my opinion.. go to a store like costco if u have one nearby.. because yea sometimes they sell JUNK!!!.. but they have the best return policy.. no reason necessary.. its great.. so if that happens.. then just buy from newegg.. another great store. a little annoying for monitor returns.. since its online. but nonetheless, a great website for buying...

where are you from?
March 24, 2007 7:01:21 AM

well what computer are you running? quad core? what vga? cause if you went all out i wouldnt stop on the monitor cause they are key!
March 24, 2007 7:04:53 AM

oh and NEVER BUY FROM THE DELL STORE!!!!.. that goes for HP and APPLE and all of them.. can i say over charge out the anus? seriously..

let me know what you are thinking..
March 24, 2007 7:06:14 AM

Quote:

in my opinion.. go to a store like costco if u have one nearby.. because yea sometimes they sell JUNK!!!.. but they have the best return policy.. no reason necessary.. its great.. so if that happens.. then just buy from newegg.. another great store. a little annoying for monitor returns.. since its online. but nonetheless, a great website for buying...

where are you from?
Same in Circuit City and almost same in CompUSA on No-question returns.

On Monitors especially this is good news as Newegg's policy on dead pixels is they won't take return unless there's more than EIGHT dead ones.. when even One in the middle is annoying. Four of five a nightmare.
So on Monitors alone you might, as you say, be better off in a store.
March 24, 2007 7:11:20 AM

I have a 2405, frame to frame it is 30.65 H.. (roughly 14.5 inches, if my conversion is correct...)

That must be one short stand.
March 24, 2007 7:11:53 AM

yeah marc.. monitors are one of those questionable purchases when it comes to where.. i honestly doubt newegg would give you garbage for 5 versus 8 pixel.. or even one really bad versus 8.. they are such a great company that they will think more for the customer than there wallets.. but i may be wrong.. but i would go for the sub 300 monitors.. beyond that... just go buy yourself a projector/60"+monitor and hook your comp up. lol
March 24, 2007 7:16:17 AM

yeah im new to this forum.. but why isnt my sig showing up?
March 24, 2007 7:20:27 AM

Quote:
I have a 2405, frame to frame it is 30.65 H.. (roughly 14.5 inches, if my conversion is correct...)

That must be one short stand.

Thanks Croc.. you're right and it doesn't look look that compressed in the pic but it says:
Quote:
Dimensions (WxDxH)
Extended/Portrait: 22" x 7.7" x 23"
Compressed: 22" x 7.7" x 15.3"

My current 20" viewsonic has great adjustability which is why I have it- and it's good visually too.
Monitor alone 13.6" and telescopes down to 15.6" with stand
I have 16.25" clearance under my Desk Shelf so it was the only 20" I could get.. in fact I can get there 21" vp211b (because they aren't wide format they are deeper) and still put it in- but like the dell 24" wide it will be tight.

So the Dell must just telecope down right on on top of it's feet if it's 14.5" and it goes down to 15.3 Total...
Leaving .8" (13/16 of an inch).. pretty tight.

How low/short can your make your 2405 stand+mointor total overall height?

March 24, 2007 7:29:07 AM

yeah that question isnt for me lol.. since i dont have that monitor.. just my macbook pro.. but.. dont go for the dell.. in my opinion.. to buy a monitor you really need to see it.. because yeah they all can say hey im 20" or im 22".. but when you look at them.. they vary in dimension.. like I personally dont want a monitor that is sooooo short but soooo long.. you know ? i want a solid height/length ratio..
March 24, 2007 7:30:10 AM

CORRECTION. (Good News for me)

Croc.. 30.65 cm is only 12 1/16"... there is plenty of room (3.2 inches off the ground and total heght of 15.3 inches) if that's the case and the monitor won't be dragging on the desk bottom and even behind the 2" high keyboard.

That is if 30.65 is Correct height of monitor frame.

And that would make the picture they show look proportionately pretty accurate as the compressed mode

March 24, 2007 7:35:22 AM

yea, that only comes to just over 12 inches. i honestly wouldnt spend major bank on a 12 inch tall monitor, ya know? if im paying for 22" or 20" widescreen i want a solid 14 inch tall monitor.. like if you look at them side by side you will b e disgusted.. lol.. well thats an exaggeration but you know what i mean.
March 24, 2007 7:41:56 AM

Quote:
yea, that only comes to just over 12 inches. i honestly wouldnt spend major bank on a 12 inch tall monitor, ya know? if im paying for 22" or 20" widescreen i want a solid 14 inch tall monitor.. like if you look at them side by side you will b e disgusted.. lol.. well thats an exaggeration but you know what i mean.

I spend a tremendous amount of my day online phil. like 10+ hours doing stocks, art and other stuff.
So if I can make it easier to read for the next 3 years (and 10,000 hours) it's well worth the few hundred to me. I use reading glasses and these big screens are great for natural easy readibility.

It does sound like alot though... I have almost as many pixels on my 20" .
The same vertically 1200 and mine is 1.5 inches longer.. but I get 320 more (1920) and 4.5" Width wise. Lower pixel density/res but not significantly .. and because of my shelf/height limitation the Wider-shorter format is Ideal for me.
Shortening 1.5" but widening to 4.5" more Usable/Viewable space.
March 24, 2007 7:46:29 AM

that makes sense.. are you not going to be gaming at all? if you are sticking strictly to the web surfing and normal pc usage.. then yeah, dont worry about the height/length ratio.. i love watching movies and playing games ( im in college lol) so the ratio is important to me.

like whats the ultimate price and whats your main usage?
March 24, 2007 7:54:39 AM

When I first saw the dimensions, my primary worry was usability. Personally I prefer my monitor to center about 66% below my line of sight. With my desktop height this wasn't too hard to achieve with the 2405 stand on it lowest setting.

On a pretty average height desk, with a comfortable chair, the monitor is 40.5 cm above the desktop at the top...

That's a shade above 17.5 inches for you non-metric Yankers.... :wink:

I thought abought the mod-ability of te stand to get lower if need be, and that is (at least with my stand) quite easiy do-able, but in my instance not necessary.
March 24, 2007 7:57:24 AM

I don't game at all but I am always running streaming stock quotes during weekdays all day-- and then surfing on top.
I buy and sell antique rugs and other stuff and frequent auctions sites...
Like loading a page with 50 thumbnails, and going back and forth between those and the Full size renditions. .5 mb pics

And.. I'm planning a small TV-in box to watch CNBC on the computer..
My current card 5700LE is adequte most of the time.. But I think within a year alot of people are going to need much better cards who don't game.
Streaming video downloads and TV-thru-net are coming so I was just going to upgrade to 6600/6800 Card which was Plenty ./. but Check this out ..
a 7600 AGP card for $99 after rebate and free shipping.. that's only $10 more than a 66 or 6800 card.. or the same

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA 256-A8-N542-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

$119.99
($99.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Free 3 Business Day Shipping"

Don't I HAVE to buy it and use my 5700 as a spare now?

March 24, 2007 8:13:26 AM

when it comes down to vga.. whats your total pc specs? what mobo, proc, ram are you running? as for monitor. i doubt a 700:1 versus 1200:1 contrast ratio would make a difference for you.. only real like photo editing and intense gaming, an d maybe dvd/vid watching will notice. for monitor i would go to personal preference for dimensions.. but i really would spend for than 350$, unless u decide on 24" plus size.

im gunna do some research on your card right now.. but for normal streaming/surfing... and tv tuner i dont think all that would be all that necessary.
March 24, 2007 8:16:48 AM

Right now a 7600 is definitely Overkill for me.
But we're talking $12 more than a 6800 on newegg bottom line.. and resalability in 16 months or so. (however small AGP mkt will be)

ASUS A8v DeluxeMB
160 GB WD
1 GB Corsair VS just upgraded to 2GB OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 DDR 400
430W Thermaltake PS (two months ago very happy, very QUIET, $39)
Raidmax Virgo w 120mm and 80mm (and room for another 120 intake)
Viewsonic vp201b 20" 1600x1200

EDIT/PS..
any Video Cards come with Tuner Card (Radeon all-in-ones ?)
March 24, 2007 8:28:57 AM

so you are looking for an agp8x vid card with tuner? do you do a dual display at all, or will u want to at some future point? also.. are you contemplating upgrading your system at all beyond monitor/vga?
March 24, 2007 8:41:03 AM

I listed all the upgrades I just made and don't plan any more except the card.

I think This system will last at least 16 months, probably 20 months til the end of 2008. I want to get my moneys worth and enjoy the big improvements I've made on this one.

I've tried dual (19") displays on my 5700LE and they work fine.. I just don't like the look (tho I could alos try one verticall, Above my 16;3"shelf. Perhaps I should try again as you gains lots of real estate and I could put my stocks on one, and everything else on another But I just like the look of single screen.

By the end of 08 I plan some new system (God knows by then what they'll have).

But I would like to have this sys powerful enough to hook to my as yet unpurchased 40" LCD TV and drive/interact with it.

Sun will be up soon here on East Coatsd.. 20 mins more for me.

thx so far
March 24, 2007 9:38:58 AM

I looking at a 24" LCD myself and have been considering the BenQ FP241WZ and the Dell 2407. After doing considerable research, I have decided that I prefer the BenQ even though it is sell for about $780. The older FP241W is selling for $730 with free shipping.

Below is a thread from Hardforum that compares these two monitors along with the LG L246WP.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1166980

The actual comparision review:

http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm

Considering the fact that I am contemplating spending $780 for a new monitor I am also looking at the Planar PX2611w; a 26 incher widescreen with a MSRP of $999.

My current monitor is a 4 year old 19" PX191 and I am very pleased with it even though it did cost me $650 back then. I just gotta find out from Planar if it uses a P-MVA or S-PVA LCD panel. It would be great if it uses a S-IPS panel, but I doubt it since the various types of IPS LCD panels carries a huge premium.
March 24, 2007 5:09:12 PM

yup im in maryland.. but i am going to looking around for a card and monitor right now.
March 24, 2007 5:39:06 PM

ASUS A8v DeluxeMB
160 GB WD
1 GB Corsair VS just upgraded to 2GB OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
430W Thermaltake PS
Raidmax Virgo w 120mm and 80mm
Viewsonic vp201b 20" 1600x1200[/quote]

man with a gefroce 5700le i wish u luck running games at 1900 x 1200 unless you play diablo 2 or something.
March 24, 2007 5:45:02 PM

thx but read my posts..

as I said I Don't play Games and the 7600 is Overkill for me now-- just it doesn't cost but $10 more than the 6 series, and for that and potential other streaming aps and resale- the 7600 seems wiser.
March 24, 2007 6:11:30 PM

whats your vga price range marc?
March 24, 2007 6:30:41 PM

Since this is a last upgrade/extension .. at/under $100.. and any new 6 series card is still selling for at least $85 with shipping- so why not get the 7600 which will return the $15 in increased cost in resale alone.
March 24, 2007 7:13:55 PM

Quote:

EDIT/PS..
any Video Cards come with Tuner Card (Radeon all-in-ones ?)

I don't think you'd be happy with an All-In-Wonder for watching TV. I had much better results with a dedicated tuner card Hauppauge PVR-150. I've also got an ATI Theater 650, but that one has really bad software and it's generally a pain.
March 25, 2007 4:06:46 AM

you are definitely going to want to upgrade the vga if u plan on getting vista, the ugly resource hog of a machine.. i think its a garbage os and will hold off until its necessary..

but yea.. i dont think a solid vga/tuner in one really exists.. i would recommend a card like

or

ive been pretty busy today andi gotta run right now so i havent had a chance to really look into thosse cards.. but initially they seem pretty solid..
March 30, 2007 5:24:07 AM

Hi Marc. Quite a coincidence but I had a Viewsonic Vp201b and just upgraded to a Dell 2407wfp A04 revision on Tueday!

I guess that puts me in a prime position to give firsthand advice so I registered to tell you my thoughts, hope they help you make a decision!

First off, I loved my Viewsonic and if they had done the same model in 24 in widescreen I would have gone with them regardless of price, but they don't so I chose the Dell as it had the best reviews in relation to price. I bought it in the UK via a guy on eBay for £450 which was some £150 cheaper than I could find it's rivals i.e BenQ and Samsung.

Overall I'm very happy with this new monitor. Mine had 1 dead pixel but its over on the far right handside of the screen and I only notice it very occasional when the screen is black. Doesn't bother me at all, my Viewsonic had 3.

First impressions it's WAAYYY brighter than the Viewsonic. In fact compared to my VP201b it practically blinded me!

On this default level of brightness and contrast although it looked fantastic when static, scrolling web pages created a horrible shimmering effect where for example black text on a grey backround scrolled down would shimmer green. It was horrible and defintely not present at all on my viewsonic.

However after adjusting the brightness down to 40 from the default 50 and the 3 colours to 85 each from 100 this shimmering effect disappeared completely and I can no longer notice it at all.

Interestingly even at this lower brightness setting it's still WAY brighter than my old viewsonic!

Other things I noticed or rather didn't. The banding of which so much fuss was made in the earlier revisions is all but gone now, certainly no worse than my Viewsonic model.

The A04 DOES support 1080p in 1:1 mapping mode as well so if watching high def movies or playing xbox 360 games is your thing then it will work well.

The only downsides I noticed compared to my old monitor are that when watching films the blacks are not nearly as black. They still look good but the viewsonic probably as a result of a much lower brightness setting looked incredibly good in dark scenes. I guess I could turn the brightness down further on this model if I wanted.

Finally and this is the only real area I would say it's worse than my old viewsonic, the viewing angle is slightly noticable. You can definitely notice the screen brighten or darken slightly depending on your head height for example.

It's not really noticable, and certainly not bad but compared to the viewsonic which in my experience has the best viewing angle of any model I've ever seen it's a slight disapointment. This doesn't affect web browsing whatsoever though, just films and games, and it's only slight, certainly not a deal breaker.

One last thing the screen itself seems a lot more flimsy than the viewsonic. My viewsonic screen was so robust I would actually run a hoover over it (the dusting attachment not the main hoover head lol) to clean it, and would give it a real hard wipe with a wet cloth every now and again.

This new dell creaks to the touch and the slightest rub will leave a trail of 'tiger claws' wherever you wipe. I guess it's just becuase the screen is bigger though.

Anyway, thats the grumbles out of the way onto the positives!

One, the resolution and image quality is beautiful. The viewsonic had a very noticable screendoor effect which many users didn't like, I've not noticed it anywhere near as bad on my Dell 2407wfp.

The backlight is so much brighter that web browsing is awesome, the white looks pristine, rather than the whitish yellow of my old VP201b.

Finally the extra screen space really does make a difference. Watching movies on here is superb. I have a 36 in television in my lounge but from now on all my films will be watched in bed on this screen!

Web browsing, which I always found a pleasure on my viewsonic is even better now, providing you turn the brightness and colour down to remove the shimmering effect.

Overall I'm really pleased with my new screen. At £450 I would say this is an absolute bargain. My viewsonic set me back £702 3 years ago!

If you do go for this model though I'd recommend checking out eBay sellers. I got mine from a guy called pcbuyit although he's a UK seller only but it was a 24 hour delivery, it comes with a 4 YEAR EXCHANGE warranty and he offered to replace in the event of a single dead pixel!

If you can find someone in the states who offers a comparable service I'd save yourself money and buy on eBay via paypal. Plus paypal offers the best protection around for buyers so I always buy everything I want on eBay anyway. If an item qualifies for paypal protection you are more covered than just buying online via credit card.

Anyway hope that little lot helped you. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
March 30, 2007 6:09:48 AM

Thanks much for all the Info

The viewsonic 20" was just an upgrade from their 19" (191b) which I also liked but the 20" gives you 50% more pixels in just 1" more diagonally. That's alot more real estate. (1600x1200 vs 1280x1000)

I had originally got the 19" because I wanted larger fonts/text and objects, an over-correction from my too instense and small sgi 1600sw- 17.1". A fabulous early entrant of 8 years ago and still it's .23 dot pitch and always-on colors are amazing.
The only computer peripheral I'm aware of that's not only still usable but still high-end !!!

Back to the 2407

The 201b is app 17.5Wide x 13.5 inches High without the stand but easily squeezes down under my 16.4" shelf on stand in compressed mode; why I got it beside quality.

The wider (22") dell is Much less tall (12.1" Correct? Please check) and would give me more usable-in-my-space width (4.5") and trim 1.5" off the bottom of the height which is harder to use/see anyway.

1. Is the total compressed mode height with stand the stated 15.5"? (of which 12" is monitor and 3.5 is clearance)

2. Some people have mentioned a slight green cast on the 2407.
(tho you're right about the 201b's yellow-- or other colors depending on any power variation)

3. I was considering another 201b/dual instead (2x 1600x1200 is hugely more area) than a single 1920x1200 which is another 20% pixels/viewing area.. or even adding another 191b to my spare.
But I think I want to have a new toy.

As far as brightness, Unless I'm working in daylight- I turn the 201b down to 65-70% as it's too bright. I even have some gray backgrounds on windows outlook and IE to cut down on glare and contrast.
So something that's even more bright would probably give me snow blindness but would be dazzling no doubt.

BTW Dellstore (USA) sells them for $629 on sale now.

Thanks so much for your very relevant input.

March 30, 2007 6:49:00 AM

Hey Marc,

I couldn't tell you the exact measurements as I havn't measured it or have a tape measure to do it. The stand is more flexible than viewsonic, it can raise higher, twist more forwards and back and lower almost to ground level. I'd say the bottom of the screen is an inch and a half off the screen when as low as it can go, not quite as low as the viewsonic if I remember correctly.

I should say so that the 2407 is 24" wide NOT 22".

Height wise it is as tall as the viewsonic I would imagine as it's 1920 x 1200 rather than the viewsonic's 1600 x 1200.

Size wise if you can picture your current monitor with an extra 1.5 inches either side whilst keeping the same height I'd say that would be about accurate.

If that isn't too big I'd really adivse going for 24" over 22".

The 22" screens have a lower resolution so you would actually be LOSING space compared to your 20.5" viewsonic.

a 22" widescreen is basically a 19" 4:3 screen with wider sides.

A 24" is basically a 21" with wider sides.

I can honestly say I'm really happy with my new Dell. I wouldn't say the build quality feels quite so good as my old viewsonic but then the VP201b was the absolute top of the line best in its class when it came out, whilst the Dell 24" significantly undercuts the cost of many other 24" monitors.

It may be that a bigger screen will feel less solid anyway which I suspect is also true.

Regardless, unless you have small children who like to poke and prod your screen it shouldn't make any difference anyhow.

Personally I'm really glad I made the switch, although my interest lies in widescreen gaming and films. This new size makes a massive difference in that regard.

For web browsing you can definitely now fit two complete web pages side by side so if you need a lot of windows open at once then this is great.

I like to bet on the greyhounds online and for that I need the William Hill site open, the Racing Post site, a sports calculatar and my betting software all on screen at once. I used to be able to do that with my viewsonic anyhow but I expect now I could probably add another page as well.

If you need to open loads of windows at once then the extra 320 pixel width will doubtless serve you well!
March 30, 2007 7:20:28 AM

Hello,

17" FROM BOTTOM OF DESK TO TOP OF LCD. I tried to lower the thing more and could not. I have a older version?
March 30, 2007 10:58:02 PM

17" high in compressed mode?

I hope someone else/OtherS with the 2407 will kick in and settle this.
I can't buy anything over 16.3" without doing some serious carpentry.

thx
March 30, 2007 11:16:46 PM

I've the 2405, and thought that the stand would be an issue for me as well... I had it all planned to shorten the upright, a simple hack saw job. Turns out I didn't need to, but I could've easily.
April 4, 2007 5:26:15 AM

The Specs say 15.3" in compressed Mode
Are You sure your 2407 is that far off? 17" is about the stated spec height of the 2707/27" NOT the 2407.
April 4, 2007 6:18:31 AM

Quote:
The a04 version is shipping now and I here it's an improvement over earlier renditions.

I have Viewsonic vp201b 20" now and ilke it but would like larger/wider.

Need general opinions and have one specific question not found on Dells was website specs.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

The Specs say it compresses down to 15.3 inches in height which will fit under the 16.5" Shelf over my desk.
But how far off the desk will the monitor itself, not legs, be... or equivalently, what is the height of the monitor/the whole frame, without the stand?

thanks,
marc

I have a pair of Dell 2407WFP's and yes they will barely fit under a 16.5 inch shelf fully compressed. - Think the 15.3 quoted is wrong unless there is some way to compress the stand further I have missed.

I have REV 03s BTW, so I can't comment on the Rev 04

Compared to the 22 inch units, the Dells just really kill them.

Firstly there is resolution - 1920 x 1200 versus 1680 x 1050

Put another way, 2.304 million pixels versus 1.764 - a difference of about 30%

Next the Dell is an IPS (In-plane switching) panel versus a TN (Twisted nematic ) panel, huge difference in viewing angle, contrast etc.

To my knowledge, there are currently no IPS 22 inch units on the market?

Are there better 24 inch units than the Dell.. certainly, but none even close to the $579 each I paid :) 

the Dell's use the Samsung panel, as does the gateway and the HP, so absooute differences are pretty small. The Iyama is killer unit, but it's double+ the price...

Just my 2 cents worth :) 
April 4, 2007 6:42:10 AM

Thanks..
Actually I have about 16.2" in the middle and 16.4" outwards as the shelf goes to edges wehere it hasn't sagged.
So just how close is important.

I have a 20.1" vp201b which has 1600x1200. (and compreses to about 15") So I'm only gaining about 20% in pixels but I'm getting it where I can use it-width-wise.
So it will feel like more I think.

Unfortunate they put 15.3" as the compressed mode when NO one has really reported that as the actual msrt. I mean 1/8 inch would be an acceptable error on 16" not 1".. that's pretty/Way off unless, as you say, the a04 revised an inch shorter.
Which I doubt.
April 5, 2007 1:06:33 AM

I called up Dell again today and finally got the definitive and measured answer. Took about 20 minutes with a good guy who went and found a tape measure.

the a04 compresses a bit more than previous versions and is 15¾" tall compressed, of which all but ½" or so is monitor-and-bezel.
Somewhat different than the 15.3" stated which is actually the monitor-without-stand msrt.

Thanks to all who participated and I hope this helps some other looking at it.
April 5, 2007 2:18:14 AM

Can anyone verify if the Dell is actually an IPS panel instead of an S-PVA panel?
!