joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Hello, you all!
This is my first post so i would like you to welcome me heatedly, with an enthusiastic and fervourous clapping & bowing! Thank you.
(Well, i'm portuguese; never mind.)

Here's what: i've been trying to install the latest win update, KB890830, concerning a patch for malicious software & blá, blá, blá, from microsoft.
It constantly blocks my system, right before installation begins. I've tried to dl it to disk & running from there; same thing.
Also turned off any firewalls & spam blockers, although updates usually install without issues.

Sounds familiar? Anyone?!

Would appreciate any help from you. Thanks in advance.

My system:
- ASUS P4P800 (non-deluxe);
- P4 Northwood 2.8 GHz;
- ASUS V9999/TD 6800;
- 6*HDD;
- 4*512MB Kingston value RAM;
- Lian-Li PC-60;
- WinXP Pro SP2;
- McAfee Internet Security Suite.

No overclocking: this is for work, not for gaming.

«Always try to look farther ahead... but mind your step.» by myself.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Have YOU turned off your Firewall? If not, it sure wasn't the patch that did it.

If your firewall is off (and you didn't do it); and the patch is not installing, you probably have the malicious "thing" already on your machine. You will have to eliminate it; unfortunately the free spyware, adware, malware programs don't always do a good job AFTER you've been infected with a Mr Malicious. The only app I know that will help you for sure is "Pest Patrol" from Computer Associates ($$). You could try the free AdAware & Spybot first to see if they help.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Sorry! I'm new at this...

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I did turn off the firewall. I'm not sure what this Mr. Malicious does but, until now - and IF it's running on my system - that's the only issue i'm aware of (stopping windows updates). Haven't used Pest Patrol yet (only MS AntiSpyware beta 1, which detected... nothing at all.) I'll try Pest Patrol when i have it; meanwhile, do you have any other suggestions?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Put your Firewall back up right away, and forget about installing that patch.

With the McAfee always on (automatically updating) and protecting, and you running Pest Patrol once a day, JUST BEFORE YOU SHUT DOWN being the best scenario; you'll be fine.

Enable "Automatic Updates", but don't do Express. For now, do Custom and refuse that malicious patch until Pest Patrol clears your machine.

I strongly suggest you put in a second hard drive, "Slaved" to your original which becomes a Master. Check the tops of the drives to see how to jumper properly. This new hd plugs into the middle connection. On this second drive (which will be "D" on your system), move over the swap file (pagefile) to it; and set up folders for all your dynamic data, documents, music, downloads, etc. Also, move your email storefolder here. This way, IF anything happens to your boot drive,"C", you won't lose your "stuff". Just keep XP and your apps there.

DeFrag regularly.

BUY a good Registry cleaning, compacting program (I swear by Registry Fix) and run it once a week. The free ones are weak.

BUY a backup program that offers a Disaster Recovery. If you ever have to redo your "C" drive (again, the boot drive), it's a piece of cake with this. Stomp markets a good one. A D/R is a tremendous time saver by not having to manually re-install everything (including all patches & updates for the OS and all the apps), which is very tedious (on one customer of mine, it took six and a half hours to get him back to where he was). On your unit, a recovery would take under an hour.

That's enough for now, I could post a 10 minute piece if I don't stop myself. If some of this is a mystery to you - do some research, Google, use help files within the programs, get more experienced friends to help you with that new hd, if that terrifies you. Having a great experience on your computer requires a lot of work and constant maintenance. While things are going smoothly, you will appreciate your efforts.

Good luck!!!!!!!

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Well, i wasn't expecting such an overwhelming answer and i can't thank you enough!

Anyway, thanks a lot. You've been more than helpful.