Hi! Just a quick PSU/7800 GT OC question!

Havlo22

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I've read the PSU guide and all, but I still have a couple of questions. Well, just one really.

This PSU: HIPRO

Will it run the 7800 GT OC?

I can't afford a top-notch PSU right now. I'm just looking for one to tide me over.

The thing is i'm a bit confused. On Newegg it says it has two twelve volt rails with enough amps (just barely) to run the card, but when I go to HIPRO's main site the PSU isn't even listed. What the Hell? I've had a few bad experiences with Tigerdirect where they misprinted the specs of a PSU, just wondering if this PSU actually has the power to run the card/system.

I have an old Dell 4700, no other mods besides the new card and PSU(once I get them in).

**EDIT**

The Dell 4700 is a mini-tower. It really isn't that much smaller then a "full tower". Will this PSU fit? Are they all one standard size?

Thanks!

Havlo22

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
My Nvidia 7800 GT OC requirest 26A on the 12V rails, hence why I bought the one in my orignial post. It (the PSU) has a total of 27A which is more then enough for everything (right?).

This is going to be my basic gaming rig. I left my big gaming rig behind during the move. I just need this PSU to tide me over for a bit, 5-6 months maybe. It seems to have good reviews, that's why I got it.

It seriously wont blow, will it?

Havlo22

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I have a total of $41 to spend on a PSU, that includes shipping and all that.

What about these: Number One Number Two Number Three Number Four, the one I like and have heard good things about Number Five

Will any of those do?

I did read the PSU 101 and I guess I misunderstood it. I thought you added up the two +12v rails then that was the "total" ampage for the "entire" +12V. I take it that method is wrong?

I'm sorta not good at math, heh. :eek:

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make the right decision for this computer and i'm (as you know) on a super tight budget. Everything I know about PSU's i've learned in the last sixteen hours. o_O

Thanks!

Havlo22

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
So three it is? It *should* work?

Thank you for your help man. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty. I owe you a cookie or something. :p

But seriously, thanks.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I was exactly the same as you; tried to cram the psu in at the very end. Believe me, these guys know what their saying-whichever PSU they reccomend will easily cover your system. There is a tier-chart showing the best brands and their best psus somewhere around here; mpilchfamily will probably cover that for you. Those Fornton Source PSUs are some of the best, i have no idea about those hipros, but anyway, you'll find something somewhere! :D BTW I spent ~$37 on a FSP to power my C2D w/ 7600GT and there is plenty of room to grow, unless I want an 8800... :cry:

Havlo22

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I just bought and shipped number three on my links above this post.

My only questions now is if it'll actually fit inside my "mini-tower". For more information, please read in the above posts.

Yay? Nay?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I just bought and shipped number three on my links above this post.

My only questions now is if it'll actually fit inside my "mini-tower". For more information, please read in the above posts.

Yay? Nay?

Well I think most if not all current PSUs are the same sizes, and even if they are different it should still fit. Basically, if the psu came out around the same time as the case they should have the same standard. That is my perspective at least, don't know if it's right, but I haven't ever seen anyone with the problem. What I'm trying to say is you will probably not have to worry. If you are still anxious just measure the dell psu's dimensions and compare to what's listed on newegg.

BTW that looks like a decent psu you chose. GL :)

Havlo22

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Thanks! It's free! Tell your friends!

This forum has helped me so much. I'm getting all my other PCs PSU's upgraded as it explains a lot of the problems i've had with my computers after upgrading.

You guys have saved me thousands in parts. LOL