Anti Virus for PPC

June 20, 2005 3:01:32 PM

From what I am reading, there is no virus that specially build to attack PPC
(correct me if I am not right) but Viruses still remain dangerous to any
devices that can connect to internet / other devices.
Therefore I would like to know is there any anti virus that you guys find
that good enough for PPC? or any anti-virus freeware?

More about : anti virus ppc

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:01:33 PM

imho, there is _currently_ no good reason to run antivirus software on
the ppc.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:26:20 PM

Y ???

message news:eDN4onUdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> imho, there is _currently_ no good reason to run antivirus software on the
> ppc.

June 20, 2005 5:26:21 PM

"Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>Y ???
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:eDN4onUdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> imho, there is _currently_ no good reason to run antivirus software on
>> the ppc.
>>
>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

A PPC can be a vector for the transmission of viruses that do not affect the
PPC, but affect the host computers. Suppose you travel with your PPC, and
use it to connect to mobile hot spots.
You can get nasties on your PPC, and when you synch or transfer files from
the PPC to the host, your computer "trusts" the PPC, yet gets infectected.
The purpose of Antivirus on the PPC is not the low threat of PPC viruses
(although there are a few), but the PPC as vector. Even more critically
important if you use infected or have a PPC Phone Edition machine.

Bobby
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:26:22 PM

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
[...]
> A PPC can be a vector for the transmission of viruses that do not
> affect the PPC, but affect the host computers. Suppose you travel
> with your PPC, and use it to connect to mobile hot spots.
> You can get nasties on your PPC, and when you synch or transfer files
> from the PPC to the host, your computer "trusts" the PPC, yet gets
> infectected. The purpose of Antivirus on the PPC is not the low
> threat of PPC viruses (although there are a few), but the PPC as
> vector. Even more critically important if you use infected or have a
> PPC Phone Edition machine.
No. The on demand scanner of your Windows anti-virus should deal with that.
What you're suggesting is that the PPC anti-virus solution should have
better detection of Windows viruses than your Windows av solution, which is
just silly. PPC anti-virus solutions should deal with PPC viruses, Windows
av should deal with Windows viruses, whatever the source.

Tony
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:26:23 PM

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> [...]
>> A PPC can be a vector for the transmission of viruses that do not
>> affect the PPC, but affect the host computers. Suppose you travel
>> with your PPC, and use it to connect to mobile hot spots.
>> You can get nasties on your PPC, and when you synch or transfer files
>> from the PPC to the host, your computer "trusts" the PPC, yet gets
>> infectected. The purpose of Antivirus on the PPC is not the low
>> threat of PPC viruses (although there are a few), but the PPC as
>> vector. Even more critically important if you use infected or have a
>> PPC Phone Edition machine.
> No. The on demand scanner of your Windows anti-virus should deal with
> that. What you're suggesting is that the PPC anti-virus solution should
> have better detection of Windows viruses than your Windows av solution,
> which is just silly. PPC anti-virus solutions should deal with PPC
> viruses, Windows av should deal with Windows viruses, whatever the source.
>
> Tony

If you read my post, you will see that in many instances, the PPC is a
"trusted" member of the home network (through activesync), and therefore
will not be scanned by the AV program at home. Not all AV programs will
scan files imported from a PPC. Please read what I posted again. If one
routinely connects to other networks on the PPC, through wi-fi or Bluetooth,
and then connect to your home or work network, then the AV on the PPC is a
valid extra layer of protection. I did not "suggest" that PPC AV was
better. I stated that it was a tool to be used in conjunction with the AV
of choice on the host computer/network.

Bobby
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:37:51 PM

Currently there are no specific virus or worms targeting the Windows Mobile
platform, although a couple of proof of concept were shown.

The problem is that to have these installed most of the times it is needed
user intervention. However, with more and more users browsing the Internet
from a wireless access point or from a GPRS/CDMA connection the potential to
download a malware and install is getting bigger.

I've put together a page offering some software from Airscanner
www.safepda.com that targets this threat.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp

"Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>Y ???
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:eDN4onUdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> imho, there is _currently_ no good reason to run antivirus software on
>> the ppc.
>>
>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:37:52 PM

Fair enough, thanks MVP... you cool !
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:01:00 AM

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
[...]
> If you read my post, you will see that in many instances, the PPC is a
> "trusted" member of the home network (through activesync), and
> therefore will not be scanned by the AV program at home. Not all AV
> programs will scan files imported from a PPC. Please read what I
> posted again. If one routinely connects to other networks on the
> PPC, through wi-fi or Bluetooth, and then connect to your home or
> work network, then the AV on the PPC is a valid extra layer of
> protection. I did not "suggest" that PPC AV was better. I stated
> that it was a tool to be used in conjunction with the AV of choice on
> the host computer/network.
I did read your post, and I take your point about the PPC's role as a virus
vector for desktop machines being of more concern than direct infection at
the moment. What I disagree with is that running a PPC av program is a
sensible way to combat this. Any decent Windows av program will scan files
when copying them to or from the protected machine, or when opening them,
from any source, including the PPC. AVG certainly prevents infected files
from being transfered from the PPC either by manual copy or file sync, and
AVG is free, I would expect pay-for av programs to do at least as well. I
don't know the circumstances you're referring to with the PPC being a
"trusted" member of the network, but if your av doesn't scan files coming
from your PPC, you should change it. This is at least as important as
scanning removable media, after all.

Hence what I said, a PPC av program would be a waste of precious memory and
cpu, unless it had significant detection advantages over the desktop av
program (unlikely), or of course if viruses that actually infect the PPC
itself become more common (likely in the future).

Tony
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:01:01 AM

also worth considering... just how would the PPC would carry and transfer an
infected file. with almost no support for running scripts, no support for
HTML email, and no support for 32-bit executable programs, it would be very
hard to un-knowingly have your PPC act as a "carrier"

| NoNoBadDog! wrote:
| [...]
| > If you read my post, you will see that in many instances, the PPC is a
| > "trusted" member of the home network (through activesync), and
| > therefore will not be scanned by the AV program at home. Not all AV
| > programs will scan files imported from a PPC. Please read what I
| > posted again. If one routinely connects to other networks on the
| > PPC, through wi-fi or Bluetooth, and then connect to your home or
| > work network, then the AV on the PPC is a valid extra layer of
| > protection. I did not "suggest" that PPC AV was better. I stated
| > that it was a tool to be used in conjunction with the AV of choice on
| > the host computer/network.
| I did read your post, and I take your point about the PPC's role as a
virus
| vector for desktop machines being of more concern than direct infection at
| the moment. What I disagree with is that running a PPC av program is a
| sensible way to combat this. Any decent Windows av program will scan files
| when copying them to or from the protected machine, or when opening them,
| from any source, including the PPC. AVG certainly prevents infected files
| from being transfered from the PPC either by manual copy or file sync, and
| AVG is free, I would expect pay-for av programs to do at least as well. I
| don't know the circumstances you're referring to with the PPC being a
| "trusted" member of the network, but if your av doesn't scan files coming
| from your PPC, you should change it. This is at least as important as
| scanning removable media, after all.
|
| Hence what I said, a PPC av program would be a waste of precious memory
and
| cpu, unless it had significant detection advantages over the desktop av
| program (unlikely), or of course if viruses that actually infect the PPC
| itself become more common (likely in the future).
|
| Tony

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:01:02 AM

Your PPC does not have to run the file. That is the whole point. The file
can be uploaded to the PPC. It is not meant to run on the PPC. On the next
synch, the file is transferred to the host computer. If the host has a real
time scanner, then all is well. But if the host does not have a real time
scanner, or it is not updated, the file is transferred to the host computer
and then executes from there (whether a timebomb or a incidence switch).
You must understand that the PPC can carry and transmit an infection without
being affected or even being aware of the infection. My point is that there
are scenarios where PPC AV is a desirable thing...granted *YOU* may not
think so, but there is a valid reason for it in some circumstances.

Bobby

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> also worth considering... just how would the PPC would carry and transfer
> an
> infected file. with almost no support for running scripts, no support for
> HTML email, and no support for 32-bit executable programs, it would be
> very
> hard to un-knowingly have your PPC act as a "carrier"
>
> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> | NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> | [...]
> | > If you read my post, you will see that in many instances, the PPC is a
> | > "trusted" member of the home network (through activesync), and
> | > therefore will not be scanned by the AV program at home. Not all AV
> | > programs will scan files imported from a PPC. Please read what I
> | > posted again. If one routinely connects to other networks on the
> | > PPC, through wi-fi or Bluetooth, and then connect to your home or
> | > work network, then the AV on the PPC is a valid extra layer of
> | > protection. I did not "suggest" that PPC AV was better. I stated
> | > that it was a tool to be used in conjunction with the AV of choice on
> | > the host computer/network.
> | I did read your post, and I take your point about the PPC's role as a
> virus
> | vector for desktop machines being of more concern than direct infection
> at
> | the moment. What I disagree with is that running a PPC av program is a
> | sensible way to combat this. Any decent Windows av program will scan
> files
> | when copying them to or from the protected machine, or when opening
> them,
> | from any source, including the PPC. AVG certainly prevents infected
> files
> | from being transfered from the PPC either by manual copy or file sync,
> and
> | AVG is free, I would expect pay-for av programs to do at least as well.
> | don't know the circumstances you're referring to with the PPC being a
> | "trusted" member of the network, but if your av doesn't scan files
> coming
> | from your PPC, you should change it. This is at least as important as
> | scanning removable media, after all.
> |
> | Hence what I said, a PPC av program would be a waste of precious memory
> and
> | cpu, unless it had significant detection advantages over the desktop av
> | program (unlikely), or of course if viruses that actually infect the PPC
> | itself become more common (likely in the future).
> |
> | Tony

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:49:32 PM

> Your PPC does not have to run the file. That is the whole point. The
> file can be uploaded to the PPC. It is not meant to run on the PPC. On
> the next synch, the file is transferred to the host computer. If the host
> has a real time scanner, then all is well. But if the host does not have
> a real time scanner, or it is not updated, the file is transferred to the
> host computer and then executes from there (whether a timebomb or a
> incidence switch). You must understand that the PPC can carry and transmit
> an infection without being affected or even being aware of the infection.
> My point is that there are scenarios where PPC AV is a desirable
> thing...granted *YOU* may not think so, but there is a valid reason for it
> in some circumstances.
>
> Bobby

Most people do not bother to download a non-compatible executable to a PPC
with the sole intent of transferring it to a PC. If that is the case, then
I doubt that virus protection is going to adequately safeguard you from a
plethora of possible problems, since such "clever" creativity is rarely
protectable by a standard package. Virii not withstanding.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:13:09 PM

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in news:#iJAejcdFHA.1448
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> If you read my post, you will see that in many instances, the PPC is a
> "trusted" member of the home network (through activesync), and therefore
> will not be scanned by the AV program at home

Any of the common AV programs scan every file coming across, regardless of
where they came from. AV programs couldn't care less whether the source is
"trusted" or not. In fact, AV programs don't even know the status of the
source.

Scott
June 21, 2005 7:00:45 PM

xTenn wrote:
> Most people do not bother to download a non-compatible executable to a PPC
> with the sole intent of transferring it to a PC. If that is the case, then
> I doubt that virus protection is going to adequately safeguard you from a
> plethora of possible problems, since such "clever" creativity is rarely
> protectable by a standard package. Virii not withstanding.

The secnerio is:

The PocketPC happens to have a bluetooth bug that allows someone to
place an Intel 486+ Windows EXE file on your PPC. When you sync it, it
gets copied to your My Documents Folder. Curious user double-clicks it
(maybe it has the same icon as a folder to confuse people) and hey
presto it's been executed.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message

> The secnerio is:
>
> The PocketPC happens to have a bluetooth bug that allows someone to place
> an Intel 486+ Windows EXE file on your PPC. When you sync it, it gets
> copied to your My Documents Folder. Curious user double-clicks it (maybe
> it has the same icon as a folder to confuse people) and hey presto it's
> been executed.

Sounds like a modern PC virus software would work fine in this scenerio...
Although anyone that runs mystery executables in a documents folder on a PC
will probably click "run anyways" from the antivirus prompt to start with,
so really I doubt that there is any protection from "clever" behavior,
especially considering that an antivirus program is only as good as its
last virus source update. On top of that there are plenty of malicous code
examples that do not qualify as viruses and would not be picked up by such
methods, yet would have less than happy results if executed.

In the case you mention above I would suspect a manual attack (which
increases the likelyhood of custom malicous code ) moreso than a typical
virus attack, although there will always be exceptions. After all, virus
writers can be "clever" too. :)
June 22, 2005 6:07:18 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> I've put together a page offering some software from Airscanner
> www.safepda.com that targets this threat.

Wasn't this app free? or just my imagination....

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln

Anyone have ever encountered any serious threats to PPC??
If not then I find there is no need to have anti virus installed to PPC yet
since it eats limited ROM that PPC has.

"Me" <spamsome1@else.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>

>> I've put together a page offering some software from Airscanner
>> www.safepda.com that targets this threat.
>
> Wasn't this app free? or just my imagination....
>
> --
> "..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
> be...." A. Lincoln
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:17:48 PM

Once again, the threat is not to the PPC alone, but the PPC as a vector for
carrying infections to other computers. Please review the thread.

Bobby

> Anyone have ever encountered any serious threats to PPC??
> If not then I find there is no need to have anti virus installed to PPC
> yet since it eats limited ROM that PPC has.
>

> "Me" <spamsome1@else.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>>

>>> I've put together a page offering some software from Airscanner
>>> www.safepda.com that targets this threat.
>>
>> Wasn't this app free? or just my imagination....
>>
>> --
>> "..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds
>> be...." A. Lincoln

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:03:07 PM

Can I say no anti virus needed for vector?
(As long as computers are shield with updated anti virus solution)

news:o bMJeKtdFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Once again, the threat is not to the PPC alone, but the PPC as a vector
> for carrying infections to other computers. Please review the thread.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone have ever encountered any serious threats to PPC??
>> If not then I find there is no need to have anti virus installed to PPC
>> yet since it eats limited ROM that PPC has.
>>

>> "Me" <spamsome1@else.net> wrote in message

>>> Wasn't this app free? or just my imagination....
>>>
>>> --
>>> "..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds
>>> be...." A. Lincoln

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:03:08 PM

Many computers on open networks that have access for PPC are not properly
protected.
Many "Hot Spots" depend upon the service provider for protection across
their servers but the local machines can be infected. In addition, if the
PPC has Bluetooth, having protection on a computer is immaterial. Again, I
invite you to review the entire thread, and look at the whole picture
instead of relating it to specific examples.

Bobby

> Can I say no anti virus needed for vector?
> (As long as computers are shield with updated anti virus solution)
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:o bMJeKtdFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Once again, the threat is not to the PPC alone, but the PPC as a vector
>> for carrying infections to other computers. Please review the thread.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone have ever encountered any serious threats to PPC??
>>> If not then I find there is no need to have anti virus installed to PPC
>>> yet since it eats limited ROM that PPC has.
>>>

>>> "Me" <spamsome1@else.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:58:46 PM

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in
news:o CYzp9tdFHA.4060@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> Many computers on open networks that have access for PPC are not
> properly protected.

Yeah, the many computers that run no or outdated virus checkers. I have no
idea where you picked up the idea that virus checkers don't check files
from trusted computers, but its not accurate.

Scott
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:58:47 PM

There are several "levels" with respect to having a PPC infect a PC, and
most will still require the user to interact with the infection to
activate it.

For infected emails, outlook is going to have to be pretty old or badly
configured to execute the infection, and, if it is, if it's being used
for PC email, the PPC problem is mut.

The "transport" question does point to a small possibility of files
getting to the PC's hard drive, but any files that are synced to the PC
or reside on memory cards will be passive until they are executed...
which is not likely to happen by any automatic process unless the PC is
already infected by a virus looking for other executables or updates.

Even then, most, if not all, current AV packages monitor executables
that are presented for opening.

There's always a possibility, but it's currently not worth the grey hair.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:18:36 PM

"Me" <spamsome1@else.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>

>> I've put together a page offering some software from Airscanner
>> www.safepda.com that targets this threat.
>
> Wasn't this app free? or just my imagination....

Yes, it was free, but Airscanner is moving to a full licence scenario
though.

The application is now priced (I have managed to get a 20% discount for a
month or so to get www.safepda.com running), and there's a bundle package
available.

The software is fully licensed, so there's no registration key, etc. You get
an e-mail with a downlod link, as soon as the payment is completed, .

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
June 23, 2005 7:14:02 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:18:36 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

>> "Me" <spamsome1@else.net> wrote in message
> >Wasn't this app free? or just my imagination....
>

> Yes, it was free, but Airscanner is moving to a full licence scenario
> though.
>
> The application is now priced (I have managed to get a 20% discount for a
> month or so to get www.safepda.com running), and there's a bundle package
> available.
>
> The software is fully licensed, so there's no registration key, etc. You get
> an e-mail with a downlod link, as soon as the payment is completed, .

Finally after 6 replies! the answer I was looling for thanks Mauricio!

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:04:13 PM

I am wondering is there any virus that detected / quarantined by Airscanner
you use so far??
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:46:24 PM

You could also try http://www.bullguard.com/mobile/

Thanks
Nitish

"Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o MePeRUdFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> From what I am reading, there is no virus that specially build to attack
> PPC (correct me if I am not right) but Viruses still remain dangerous to
> any devices that can connect to internet / other devices.
> Therefore I would like to know is there any anti virus that you guys find
> that good enough for PPC? or any anti-virus freeware?

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:46:25 PM

I am using Norton Antivirus for Handhelds. It does not slow the PPC, and
integrates with activesync to update automatically.

Bobby

"Nitish Khadiya[MSFT]" <nitishk@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o MzY$T%23dFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You could also try http://www.bullguard.com/mobile/
>
> Thanks
> Nitish

> rights.
>

> "Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o MePeRUdFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> From what I am reading, there is no virus that specially build to attack
>> PPC (correct me if I am not right) but Viruses still remain dangerous to
>> any devices that can connect to internet / other devices.
>> Therefore I would like to know is there any anti virus that you guys find
>> that good enough for PPC? or any anti-virus freeware?

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:29:48 PM

I have NAV too, but I found that it was corrupting my SD card every week...

>I am using Norton Antivirus for Handhelds. It does not slow the PPC, and
>integrates with activesync to update automatically.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Nitish Khadiya[MSFT]" <nitishk@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o MzY$T%23dFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You could also try http://www.bullguard.com/mobile/
>>
>> Thanks
>> Nitish
>>
>> --

>> rights.
>>

>> "Hastan" <h.hastan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o MePeRUdFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> From what I am reading, there is no virus that specially build to attack
>>> PPC (correct me if I am not right) but Viruses still remain dangerous to
>>> any devices that can connect to internet / other devices.
>>> Therefore I would like to know is there any anti virus that you guys
>>> find that good enough for PPC? or any anti-virus freeware?

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:29:49 PM

I am running it on both an iPAQ 3850 (upgraded to WM2003) and a Dell Axim
x50v; I use both SD and CF cards in each; never had any corruption
problems.

Bobby

news:o 5MCytEeFHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!