Required Reading for New/Future Core 2 Duo Owners

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I was reading the article on Xeon vs. C2D and thought, "Hm... are the Xeon's ALL Conroe still? Are there no Allendale's? LE GASP!"

So, are the E6300 and E6400 equivalents in the Xeon (3040 and such) still Conroe?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Now that just ain't nice... :lol:

Im in a mood most foul. My driver never showed up this evening, and I waited for over an hour until one of our sister organizations drivers showed up and offered me a ride.

Besides, it is the truth :wink:

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Yes, they are still Conroe. People wrongfully assumed them to be Allendale's. True Allendale's have a 800MHz FSB.

@Turpit
Eh. No Comment

What about the semi-true Allendale's? They are the new batches of E6300 and E6400 coming out with the L2 stepping. They have 2 MB of cache with none disabled rather than the original 4MB of cache with 2MB disabled. They run cooler but OC poorer.

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Allendale Core 2 Duos run at 800HMz. The Conroes, crippled, dwarf or full, all run at the 1066MHz strap.

Alright.

So, will the Xeon equivalents of the E6300/E6400 overclock like the L2 or B2 steppings? B2 being the earlier one that overclocked like a madman. L2 being the newer one that doesn't OC as well.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I don't understand why Arctic Silver say not to use citrus based solvents, but Akasa make a citrus based solvent for removing silver based thermal compound. :? I know who I'd trust though. I think.

Citrus based cleaners leave too much oily residue on the IHS after cleaning. Oily residue + 65C concentrated heat = I really don't want to find out what happens. Just stick with 90% or higher non scented isopropyl alcohol and a good lintless cloth and plastic knife.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Citrus based cleaners leave too much oily residue on the IHS after cleaning. Oily residue + 65C concentrated heat = I really don't want to find out what happens. Just stick with 90% or higher non scented isopropyl alcohol and a good lintless cloth and plastic knife.

Ive found the best way to remove thermal paste seems to be:

herc1sparks.jpg

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Ive found the best way to remove thermal paste seems to be:

herc1sparks.jpg
That's one h3ll of a big IHS. :wink: :D :D

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Just stick with 90% or higher non scented isopropyl alcohol and a good lintless cloth and plastic knife.
I am a hardcore dude, but 90% alcohol is too strong for me....I stick with <65%. Its good for my stomach and effective for my brain.
About the clothes, I have no problems with lints.
And I am not carrying a knife since I was 17. Gun is a better option, more effective and can be used remotely.

Lyom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007

I've always used CRC Industries Lectra-Motive electric parts cleaner. This stuff works like a charm for thermal compound removal. I guess I'm looking for any other thoughts or comments on useing that type of solvent?

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Just stick with 90% or higher non scented isopropyl alcohol and a good lintless cloth and plastic knife.
I am a hardcore dude, but 90% alcohol is too strong for me....I stick with <65%. Its good for my stomach and effective for my brain.
About the clothes, I have no problems with lints.
And I am not carrying a knife since I was 17. Gun is a better option, more effective and can be used remotely.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
When I watercooled my s754 build I had no rubbing alcohol, but being in college at the time I did have some everclear in the kitchen. Works like a charm. :tongue:

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Ninja-

Damn you. I needed all those "My multiplyier is changing on its own" and " My voltage isn't stable " threads.

I was just getting ready to start telling people that their stuff doesn't work because they destroyed it from OCing it and that I would, out of the kindness of my heart, buy their defective parts at reduced cost. :x

Now I guess I shouldn't have given my boss that "take this job and shove it note" because I won't be able to get rich from working at home. :cry: