Does Pentium D Series Really Suck?

babybash21

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I read the CPU buying guide and it mentioned there to avoid the Pentium D except for the 805 model. Where I live they don't sell 805's anymore and due to budget restrictions I can only afford a Pentium D 915. Is this processor not really worth the money? What other processor can I purchase on the same price range as the 915? I'd appreciate your help guys. Thanks. :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I read the CPU buying guide and it mentioned there to avoid the Pentium D except for the 805 model. Where I live they don't sell 805's anymore and due to budget restrictions I can only afford a Pentium D 915. Is this processor not really worth the money? What other processor can I purchase on the same price range as the 915? I'd appreciate your help guys. Thanks. :D
If you're willing to overclock them... they can perform well in some apps... but games aren't their forte'... even when highly overclocked. I just bought a D915 2 weeks ago....til i get my Core2Duo. :wink:

babybash21

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
oh i see. thanks for the info. so do you guys have any other processors in mind that you would recommend? Just please bear in mind I'm on a tight budget. hehe :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
oh i see. thanks for the info. so do you guys have any other processors in mind that you would recommend? Just please bear in mind I'm on a tight budget. hehe :D
The x2 3600+ is an exceptional value, if/when overclocked... and still a great value if not. GL :)

phil178821

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
i wouldn't sell out on the d series.. they have some solid oc's but high temps.. but if you are choosing, go for a low end eXXXX series cause they oc like crazy

babybash21

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
thanks guys. you've all been of great help. if it weren't for you guys i would have bought the crappy 915. hehe. thanks again

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Maybe it would be better to ask 'what do you currently have' before answering that question. So I ask.

The probable answer is 'yes, they suck...', but without the above it will be hard to tell you what's better.

phil178821

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
i currently have an e6600 running at 2.9 ghz without breaking a sweat. the new c2d are beautiful.. great processors that intel honestly lowered the clock rate on for some odd reason. you oc them like crazy.. i can run my computer at 3.1 with ease. on stock air. orthos stabl for 20 minutes... not much time but whatever.. they oc like crazy... i have the gigabyte GA-965P-S3.. its a beauty for low cost ocing

the d series are great processors.. they just run at unBELIEVEable high temps when u get to high frequencies.. if your are buying.. go with the e series... cant beat it.. amd wont have an answer for 4-6 months..

yeah.. if you have the money.. get the e6600, or better.. if you can go for the quad cores,, that stuff is nutts and will hold up in time. there really arnt any programs to take advantage of them. i just built the new system with the e6600 and its awesome.. has great ocing.. but the e6300 is great as well.. with no time, and a great mobo of course, you can have the e6300 running at the quad speeds.. go with the new intels for now.. amd has nothing comparable at the moment..

phil178821

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
yeah.. jack hit what i was saying with ALOT more beautiful words.. good stuff. go for the e series.. you WILL NOT be disapointed....

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Hmmm... Wasn't all that long ago that I read many posts bragging on the P D's clockability etc... It was the 'bee's knees' about 18 mos. ago. How time flies.

Any one want to 'fess up? Or do I have to go back through a whole bunch of posts...

(joking, I can't be bothered....)

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Theres no reason why they would suck.
They offer extremely solid performance for the money (of course not when compared to C2D but hey) and - simply - enough performance for everyone.
Theres a huge number of mainbords and chipsets for them.
They overclock sky-high so that they can even compete with some C2D models.
And in the end, inventories are full of em => low price.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at my posts from back then, I was telling people the 805 was junk from the start. People were buying it to try and get 4GHz, but the 915 was hitting EE965 speeds at much lower temperatures and voltage levels, using the stock EE965 bus speed with superior performance compared to overclocked 805's. And even though the 915 at EE965 speed was fast, I was still pushing AMD for its superior efficiency.

G

well man i have pentium D 930 and i am happy with it. for the price i paid and the performence. it does get hot if your using 100% cpu my temp goes to 61 degree. i have never overclocked it. so if your going to overclock it a bit or not at all. your good. you be happy

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It doesn't suck that bad. I used the 840 and the only bad I can say about it is that it is very hot. 840 and the EE are the hottest chip there is, good for heating the room as well. Works great and all but if you don't like hot cpu then avoid the Pentium D 800 series. The 805 is indeed a very good chip for overclocking.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You don't tell us what your current motherboard/RAM/Video Card/PSU are. If you are really tight for money, have a motherboard that supports Pentium D's, but not Core2Duo, and have a decent PSU....and really can't wait and save more money for a better setup, then a D915-D945 will probably do the job. Not much more we can say...Totally depends on the person's(your) situation, and it may be good for you, but not a good option for most other people. GL :)

phil178821

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
everyones pretty much saying the same thing now.. lol.. they arent that bad of procs.. they oc high but heat up like woah. also.. dont expect them to be a core2duo, the architecture just isnt there.. so in reality, if you get the d series, you will have some nice performance (given you buy other quality parts), but if you can, save up and get a low end exxxx c2d cause they oc like more woah.

phil178821

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
wo wo wo.. stop right there. DO NOT BUY FROM TIGER DIRECT. just go to the better business bureaus website and thats more than enough reasons.. it is an awful company that has a track record of selling used/refurbished/damaged parts. and also for ignoring customer emails and phone calls.

i once heard a story of a customer going directly to pick up an item from the warehouse and watching an employee accidentally dump a soda into a barebone box and then do nothing about it. go with newegg.. soo much better.. great service and support. and prices and quality as well..