Learning moves and evolution

Hi there.

I'm playing Pokemon R/S and have a question:

Say Pokemon ABC learns cool move#1 at level 26, but normally evolves
into a higher form - XYX - at level 20. Evolved form XYZ learns cool
move#2 at level 22.

If I halt the evolution of ABC to obtain cool move#1, will I lose my
chance to have XYZ learn cool move#2, because it's now past level 22
when ABC evolves? Do I have to pick, or will I still be able to get both
(so long as I wait for move#1, of course)?

How does this work?

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm playing Pokemon R/S and have a question:
>
> Say Pokemon ABC learns cool move#1 at level 26, but normally evolves
> into a higher form - XYX - at level 20. Evolved form XYZ learns cool
> move#2 at level 22.
>
> If I halt the evolution of ABC to obtain cool move#1, will I lose my
> chance to have XYZ learn cool move#2, because it's now past level 22
> when ABC evolves? Do I have to pick, or will I still be able to get both
> (so long as I wait for move#1, of course)?
>
> How does this work?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

These are the tricky decisions. You'll have to decide between the two
moves. I don't believe the Move Tutor can teach moves that are not
learned as result of this type of evolution. The main reason not to
evolve is to learn moves earlier than you would otherwise, but sometimes
it's necessary to evolve if a certain higher evolution learns a move
that the first evolution does not (usually as a result of the
second/third evolution gaining an additional type).

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I'm playing Pokemon R/S and have a question:
> >
> > Say Pokemon ABC learns cool move#1 at level 26, but normally evolves
> > into a higher form - XYX - at level 20. Evolved form XYZ learns cool
> > move#2 at level 22.
> >
> > If I halt the evolution of ABC to obtain cool move#1, will I lose my
> > chance to have XYZ learn cool move#2, because it's now past level 22
> > when ABC evolves? Do I have to pick, or will I still be able to get both
> > (so long as I wait for move#1, of course)?
> >
> > How does this work?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet
>
> These are the tricky decisions. You'll have to decide between the two
> moves. I don't believe the Move Tutor can teach moves that are not
> learned as result of this type of evolution. The main reason not to
> evolve is to learn moves earlier than you would otherwise, but sometimes
> it's necessary to evolve if a certain higher evolution learns a move
> that the first evolution does not (usually as a result of the
> second/third evolution gaining an additional type).

Thanks for replying so fast, John :)

So what you're saying is if I wait to level 26 (to get move#1) with ABC
before evolving into XYZ, then I've lost my chance to ever get move#2 -
normally learnt at level 22 for XYZ?

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there.
>>>
>>>I'm playing Pokemon R/S and have a question:
>>>
>>>Say Pokemon ABC learns cool move#1 at level 26, but normally evolves
>>>into a higher form - XYX - at level 20. Evolved form XYZ learns cool
>>>move#2 at level 22.
>>>
>>>If I halt the evolution of ABC to obtain cool move#1, will I lose my
>>>chance to have XYZ learn cool move#2, because it's now past level 22
>>>when ABC evolves? Do I have to pick, or will I still be able to get both
>>>(so long as I wait for move#1, of course)?
>>>
>>>How does this work?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>> Jamie Kahn Genet
>>
>>These are the tricky decisions. You'll have to decide between the two
>>moves. I don't believe the Move Tutor can teach moves that are not
>>learned as result of this type of evolution. The main reason not to
>>evolve is to learn moves earlier than you would otherwise, but sometimes
>>it's necessary to evolve if a certain higher evolution learns a move
>>that the first evolution does not (usually as a result of the
>>second/third evolution gaining an additional type).
>

> Thanks for replying so fast, John :)
>
> So what you're saying is if I wait to level 26 (to get move#1) with ABC
> before evolving into XYZ, then I've lost my chance to ever get move#2 -
> normally learnt at level 22 for XYZ?

Yes, unless you can teach it later with a TM/HM. I'm almost positive
that the Move Tutor can only teach moves that you had the chance to
learn but said "No" to.

daramark wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

>>>Thanks for replying so fast, John :)
>>>
>>>So what you're saying is if I wait to level 26 (to get move#1) with ABC
>>>before evolving into XYZ, then I've lost my chance to ever get move#2 -
>>>normally learnt at level 22 for XYZ?
>>
>>Yes, unless you can teach it later with a TM/HM. I'm almost positive that
>>the Move Tutor can only teach moves that you had the chance to learn but
>>said "No" to.
>

> I haven't tried it, but there are moves that some pokes don't learn that the
> move tutor teaches. Meditite and Medichamp come to mind. You can have the
> move tutor teach Medichamp the elemental punches, but not Meditite.

I wish I can get my Alakazam to learn the punches before the Battle
Frontier, so I can use him more effectively. His SpA and Spd increase by
3 or 4 each level, but the only attack he has right now is Psychic. I
wish he could learned more SpA moves.

> I wish I can get my Alakazam to learn the punches before the Battle
> Frontier, so I can use him more effectively. His SpA and Spd increase by 3
> or 4 each level, but the only attack he has right now is Psychic. I wish he
> could learned more SpA moves.

Hell yeah! I taught my Kadabra Shock Wave just for the variety, but it just
doesn't pack the same 'PUNch'! (Ooh! Double!)
--
fluxxdog
www.bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/fluxxdog

On Tue, 10 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
> I wish I can get my Alakazam to learn the punches before the Battle
> Frontier, so I can use him more effectively. His SpA and Spd increase by
> 3 or 4 each level, but the only attack he has right now is Psychic. I
> wish he could learned more SpA moves.

Don't have a Ru/Sa you can trade a Puncher (either a Medicham or an
already properly bred Kadabra/Alakazam) from? Poor fellow. :p [Probably
trading the Medicham'd be the better way to go if it's still early on
(pre-Fortree gym) in your Emerald game]

On Tue, 10 May 2005, fluxxdog wrote:
> Hell yeah! I taught my Kadabra Shock Wave just for the variety, but it
> just doesn't pack the same 'PUNch'! (Ooh! Double!)

If I couldn't trade a Medicham up to Emerald, I'd stick with a
Thunderbolting Gardevoir rather than an Alakazam...

Joseph William Dixon wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, fluxxdog wrote:
>
>>Hell yeah! I taught my Kadabra Shock Wave just for the variety, but it
>>just doesn't pack the same 'PUNch'! (Ooh! Double!)
>

> If I couldn't trade a Medicham up to Emerald, I'd stick with a
> Thunderbolting Gardevoir rather than an Alakazam...

I tried a Ralts in Sapphire, but it evolved so slowly, and I didn't
think the benefits were worth that pain. :)

Joseph William Dixon wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
>
>>I wish I can get my Alakazam to learn the punches before the Battle
>>Frontier, so I can use him more effectively. His SpA and Spd increase by
>>3 or 4 each level, but the only attack he has right now is Psychic. I
>>wish he could learned more SpA moves.
>

> Don't have a Ru/Sa you can trade a Puncher (either a Medicham or an
> already properly bred Kadabra/Alakazam) from? Poor fellow. :p [Probably
> trading the Medicham'd be the better way to go if it's still early on
> (pre-Fortree gym) in your Emerald game]

Well, I do have a completed Sapphire, but I'm raising my Abra from
scratch. I've already traded over Blaziken and Absol (I like him), so I
figure I should do the rest myself.

Besides, I'm convinced my Alakazam has some good DVs, the way his stats
go up every level! I need to figure it out eventually.

On Tue, 10 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
> >>Hell yeah! I taught my Kadabra Shock Wave just for the variety, but it
> >>just doesn't pack the same 'PUNch'! (Ooh! Double!)
> >
> > If I couldn't trade a Medicham up to Emerald, I'd stick with a
> > Thunderbolting Gardevoir rather than an Alakazam...
>
> I tried a Ralts in Sapphire, but it evolved so slowly, and I didn't
> think the benefits were worth that pain. :)

Meh. Once you hit level 6 and get an attack (Confusion), Ralts evolves as
fast as any...

Joseph William Dixon wrote:

>>> If I couldn't trade a Medicham up to Emerald, I'd stick with a
>>>Thunderbolting Gardevoir rather than an Alakazam...
>>
>>I tried a Ralts in Sapphire, but it evolved so slowly, and I didn't
>>think the benefits were worth that pain. :)
>

> Meh. Once you hit level 6 and get an attack (Confusion), Ralts evolves as
> fast as any...

I think it falls into one of the slower level-up categories.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>On Wed, 04 May 2005 22:56:33 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
>Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> I'm playing Pokemon R/S and have a question:
>>
>> Say Pokemon ABC learns cool move#1 at level 26, but normally evolves
>> into a higher form - XYX - at level 20. Evolved form XYZ learns cool
>> move#2 at level 22.
>>
>> If I halt the evolution of ABC to obtain cool move#1, will I lose my
>> chance to have XYZ learn cool move#2, because it's now past level 22
>> when ABC evolves? Do I have to pick, or will I still be able to get both
>> (so long as I wait for move#1, of course)?
>>
>> How does this work?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jamie Kahn Genet
>
>These are the tricky decisions. You'll have to decide between the two
>moves. I don't believe the Move Tutor can teach moves that are not
>learned as result of this type of evolution. The main reason not to
>evolve is to learn moves earlier than you would otherwise, but sometimes
>it's necessary to evolve if a certain higher evolution learns a move
>that the first evolution does not (usually as a result of the
>second/third evolution gaining an additional type).

The example I always give is getting baton pass on an Eevee, because
some people like that option.

Eevee learns Baton Pass at Level 36 and it's after that you'd do the
regular stone evolution. Or in R/S/E the happiness/time of day
evolution into Umbreon or Espeon.

James