Akhenaton

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Dear forum,
I have a Pentium 3 with 500MHz processor. It has a windows 2000 Pro and XP installed on it.
Could some one tell me how I ccould delete the windows 2000 without having to format the whole system? I' like to keep the windows XP
Thanks

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Use disk management in XP and just reformat the partition that 2000 is on. It will wipe out the 2000 installation and leave you with an empty, formatted partition.

Akhenaton

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hey, the problem is that I do not want to lose the existing information on my Win XP by formatting. No other way without formatting??

riser

Illustrious
You should have 2 partitions, C: for Win2k probably and D: for XP, or vise versa. Just go in and select the Win2k partition and format which would be the easiest way.

You won't format your XP installation, it'll just do the partition. But if I think about it, you'll delete your boot record I would imagine if Win2k is on your C: drive.. never really tried it.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
You should have 2 partitions, C: for Win2k probably and D: for XP, or vise versa. Just go in and select the Win2k partition and format which would be the easiest way.

You won't format your XP installation, it'll just do the partition. But if I think about it, you'll delete your boot record I would imagine if Win2k is on your C: drive.. never really tried it.

I think he has both os's on one partition

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005

I think he has both os's on one partition

yes must be that, they have different WinRoot Dir names, so u can install both on the same partition

@Akhenaton, just delete the Drive: WINNT folder, and then edit the boot.ini with notepad, u should see a line like this

[code:1:996c5d0855]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect[/code:1:996c5d0855]

just delete the line where it says WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" (the full line)

thats all, would prefer to clean the Pagefile, but not really a big thing

TRENDING THREADS