eVGA 8800GTS heat problem

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
hey guys...
i was wondering if load temp 70C, idle temp 57C for 8800GTS is too high? if so, any suggestion on how to cool it down is gratefully welcomed.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
It is a bit high but certainly not to where you gotta drop everything and drop off your pc. Video cards can go up to 120c. I like to have min around 55c personaly. Try getting a aftermarket heatsink from newegg and maybe some Artic silver 5.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
It is a bit high but certainly not to where you gotta drop everything and drop off your pc. Video cards can go up to 120c. I like to have min around 55c personaly. Try getting a aftermarket heatsink from newegg and maybe some Artic silver 5.
i was thinking about buying a VGA water block from Thermaltake, since i already have a bigwater SE for my CPU.

i tried dissecting the video card, but the closest i've ever got to the G80 core was the heatsink. no matter what method i tried, i cannot remove the heatsink and the heat conducting plates off the PCB board.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
If it was any other card i'd say you might want to get that temp down a little. But 70C for an 8800 isn't all that bad.
well i took a look at the nTune software, and the threshold for 8800 is set at 127C. :p

so may i ask what's your suggestion? should i purchase aftermarket air/liquid cooling solution, or stick with the stock one? thanks :p

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
That's up to you. If you can live with those temps then don't worry about it. They are notheing too high for that card so you will be fine.
yeh thanks. i'm just afraid that the card will catch fire one day when i'm playing a game = =... it happened to one of the newegg buyers.. poor guy.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

FYI there is no aftermarket air-cooler for the 8800GTS

The HR-03plus is for the 8800GTX. They did anounce they would make an adapter kit for the GTS though

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Dude you are alright , :D i would be worrying if wasant heatin to those levels you know like ain't firing on all cylinders :lol:

Its a performance card --woooohooo :D

hehehe

no serious you are okay otherwise download NTUNE and put the fan on 100%. 8)

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Download Ntune from Nvidia. After you do this, enter nTune and go to GPU Performance. On the cooling area, click on manual fan control. Slide the slider all the way to the right and click on APPLY. You might have to do this a couple of times for some reason for the settings to stick. Your fan will be PERCEPTIBLY louder, but I have mine INSIDE an open-backed desk and I run my 8800gts at 600/900mhz and I only see maybe 60C full load with the fan on high. Now, if I open up my computer cabinet in the desk, it drops to 51C under full load with STOCK cooling.

Also, for some reason, it wont allow you to save your overclocks to start automatically, so you will have to do this everytime you boot, or figure it out with Ntune. I have no patience for that crap, so I just turn it up before playing.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
hey guys...
i was wondering if load temp 70C, idle temp 57C for 8800GTS is too high? if so, any suggestion on how to cool it down is gratefully welcomed.
My X1900GT gets to 70C under load quite fast.

Your temps look good for a 8800 card.