Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Rare candies, and which items are randomly found?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Hi there.

Another couple of questions for you more experienced R/S players:

Firstly - does using a Rare Candy differ in any way from leveling a
Pokemon via battle? Will I still get every benefit?

Secondly - is there a list of items I can find in game - say using
Zigzagoon's ability to find items 10% of the time after battle (even if
he's not lead Pokemon) which is very neat earlier on, when I'm always
broke! :-)

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Another couple of questions for you more experienced R/S players:
>
> Firstly - does using a Rare Candy differ in any way from leveling a
> Pokemon via battle? Will I still get every benefit?

Yes, it differs greatly. Besides experience points, you also gain what
are called "effort points" when you battle pokemon. The short
explanation is that effort points help increase your stats when you
level up, but if you choose to use Rare Candies, then you won't gain
EPs, you will simply raise levels. Therefore, your stats won't be as
high as they could if you battle. You can still gain these EPs, but
generally speaking Rare Candies are for testing certain things, not just
gaining levels as you play.

> Secondly - is there a list of items I can find in game - say using
> Zigzagoon's ability to find items 10% of the time after battle (even if
> he's not lead Pokemon) which is very neat earlier on, when I'm always
> broke! :-)

Check out www.gamefaqs.com for a list of what/when you get things using
Pickup, and also search for an FAQ about Effort Points if you're
interested. It's great stuff to know.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

In article <1gw3dq2.22699n1n5r3piN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>,
Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
>Hi there.
>
>Another couple of questions for you more experienced R/S players:
>
>Firstly - does using a Rare Candy differ in any way from leveling a
>Pokemon via battle? Will I still get every benefit?
>
Not every benefit.

Pokemon get experience points, which are displayed on the screen, and
also effort points, which aren't. A Pokemon can get up to about 510
effort points, and gets 1-3 of them each time it gets experience for
an opposing Pokemon fainting. They are divided into HP, Attack,
Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, depending on
the opposing Pokemon (fainting a Silcoon gives you two points for
Defense, while a Spinda gives special attack and a Zigzagoon speed).

You can read up on this at www.gamefaqs.com.

The short answer is that rare candies provide only experience, not
effort. Therefore, they don't provide all the benefits of battling.
This isn't a reason not to use them, as the Pokemon can always pick
up effort points by battling, so it doesn't miss out on anything
permanently.

>Secondly - is there a list of items I can find in game - say using
>Zigzagoon's ability to find items 10% of the time after battle (even if
>he's not lead Pokemon) which is very neat earlier on, when I'm always
>broke! :-)
>
Try www.gamefaqs.com.

--
David H. Thornley | If you want my opinion, ask.
david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
http://www.thornley.net/~thornley/david/ | O-
Related resources
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:33:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

David Thornley <thornley@visi.com> wrote:
[snip]
> The short answer is that rare candies provide only experience, not
> effort. Therefore, they don't provide all the benefits of battling.
> This isn't a reason not to use them, as the Pokemon can always pick
> up effort points by battling, so it doesn't miss out on anything
> permanently.

Precisely what I needed to know - thank you David! :-) Cheers also to
the other helpful respondents to my recent queries.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:20:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Well, there's one slight flaw... according to Meowth346, once a Pokemon
reaches level 100, they don't earn any more EVs, so you have to still
do all your EV training at or below Lv. 99.

However, with Vitamins, Macho Brace, Exp Share, and the Emerals
un-EV-ifying berries, you can basically do all of your EV training
entirely at Level 98 or 99.

I typed out a long explanation of how to do it, but just deleted it
cause I'm lazy and didn't want to finish it.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:31:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

<chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1115796015.123935.197020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Well, there's one slight flaw... according to Meowth346, once a Pokemon
> reaches level 100, they don't earn any more EVs, so you have to still
> do all your EV training at or below Lv. 99.
>
> However, with Vitamins, Macho Brace, Exp Share, and the Emerals
> un-EV-ifying berries, you can basically do all of your EV training
> entirely at Level 98 or 99.
>
> I typed out a long explanation of how to do it, but just deleted it
> cause I'm lazy and didn't want to finish it.
>

There are berries that take away your unwanted EVs?!? Wow, I really need to
get my hands on more Pokemon games....Emerald, Fire Red & Leaf Green to be
exact.

daramark
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:28:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Only in Emerald do these Berries have that effect. In R/S/FR/LG they
just appear as Pokeblock/powder ingredients.
!