Network card is on even if the computer is off?

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Hi, i have a router, and i have 4 computers plugged into it, and every time i shutdown these computers the lights on the router are still on, expect two is off(one is a laptop, and the other is a PC with a on-board network card). Now i'm wondering why is the light still on for two computers(these are on-board network card)? as if there is still power running through the network card even if its off.

I checked the BIOS and i didn't see any options that could turn this off. Unless this is a feature that i don't know about? anyone have any ideas?

thank you all in advance.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Your network cards are powered by the 5 volt standby from your power supply. That 5 volts is present as long as the power supply for your computer is plugged in and turned on. It allows the computer to be turned on over a network, such as in a business where an IT deparment worker might want to do system upgrade or troubleshooting remotely. It's not used in a home computer.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
In some drivers there are a advanced setting that allow you to turn off remote start, Awake from ethernet port. May are may not. BIOS also have settings for remote startup.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Although you can't turn you NIC off, since you say it is onboard on your PC, you do have an option to boot from it in the section of the BIOS that you use to set boot order. The selection may be, "boot other." Disable that and a network turn-on signal to your NIC will not be activated. Do not be concerned that the lights are still on. The lights just indicate the presence of power on your motherboard and that the NIC is alive and well. If it bothers you that the lights are on, unplug your switch and power off your PC using the power supply switch.

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I didn't see any of those options in the BIOS, i guess my motherboard doesn't have that options. I guess i won't worry about that that much. thanks for you reply.