Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In Win Explorer I see what appears to be a duplication of files in the
listing under C:/

Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents

Further down, still under C:/

My Name/Documents

The files in both My Documents and Documents are identical.

I have no idea what created this duplication, unless I inadvertently
dragged and dropped the folder. Should I leave these folders alone or
delete the the second one (My Name/Documents).

Subfolders in both "Documents" and "My Documents" contain such items as
CCWIN, CCWIN9, My Downloads, My Pictures, My Music, etc.

thanks

It is VERY easy to inadvertently duplicate folders using
drag-and-drop. If you can satisfy yourself that the number
of files, sizes of each file, and dates of the files are
exactly the same, use WINZIP or something to make a
compressed copy of it and then delete it. Check for
hidden files too.

Good Luck !

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:54:17 -0500, richard wrote:

> In Win Explorer I see what appears to be a duplication of files in the
> listing under C:/
>
> Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents
>
> Further down, still under C:/
>
> My Name/Documents
>

> The files in both My Documents and Documents are identical.
>
> I have no idea what created this duplication, unless I inadvertently
> dragged and dropped the folder. Should I leave these folders alone or
> delete the the second one (My Name/Documents).
>
> Subfolders in both "Documents" and "My Documents" contain such items as
> CCWIN, CCWIN9, My Downloads, My Pictures, My Music, etc.
>
> thanks

Are you positive the second folder is under C:? If you collapse C in the
tree, does the second folder disappear or stay in view? Is the folder
actually under "My Computer"?

If it is under My Computer, this is normal. Explorer is showing two
different representations of the same folder. In other words, multiple
routes to the same folder and, consequently, the same folder contents.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Both folders currently contain identical items, but it would be a good idea
to check which folder your system is using. Start Word, type a few lines in
a new document, click File/Save As, click My Documents on the Places bar,
save the file, and then check the two folders again to be certain the file
is saved to the Documents and Settings subfolder rather than the subfolder
directly off the C: drive.

Joan

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> In Win Explorer I see what appears to be a duplication of files in the
> listing under C:/
>
> Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents
>
> Further down, still under C:/
>
> My Name/Documents
>

> The files in both My Documents and Documents are identical.
>
> I have no idea what created this duplication, unless I inadvertently
> dragged and dropped the folder. Should I leave these folders alone or
> delete the the second one (My Name/Documents).
>
> Subfolders in both "Documents" and "My Documents" contain such items as
> CCWIN, CCWIN9, My Downloads, My Pictures, My Music, etc.
>
> thanks

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sharon F wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:54:17 -0500, richard wrote:
>

>>In Win Explorer I see what appears to be a duplication of files in the
>>listing under C:/
>>
>>Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents
>>
>>Further down, still under C:/
>>
>>My Name/Documents
>>

>>The files in both My Documents and Documents are identical.
>>
>>I have no idea what created this duplication, unless I inadvertently
>>dragged and dropped the folder. Should I leave these folders alone or
>>delete the the second one (My Name/Documents).
>>
>>Subfolders in both "Documents" and "My Documents" contain such items as
>>CCWIN, CCWIN9, My Downloads, My Pictures, My Music, etc.
>>
>>thanks
>

> Are you positive the second folder is under C:? If you collapse C in the
> tree, does the second folder disappear or stay in view? Is the folder
> actually under "My Computer"?
>
> If it is under My Computer, this is normal. Explorer is showing two
> different representations of the same folder. In other words, multiple
> routes to the same folder and, consequently, the same folder contents.

Sharon,
You are right. When I collapse the C, the Documents folder does NOT
disappear. It is under "My Computer."

I performed a small test--saved a document in "My Documents" and the
saved text appeared in BOTH "My Documents" and "Documents."

If this is normal, as you say, I wonder what the rationale is for there
being two representations of the same folder.

Thanks

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:19:24 -0500, richard wrote:

> You are right. When I collapse the C, the Documents folder does NOT
> disappear. It is under "My Computer."
>
> I performed a small test--saved a document in "My Documents" and the
> saved text appeared in BOTH "My Documents" and "Documents."
>
> If this is normal, as you say, I wonder what the rationale is for there
> being two representations of the same folder.

Well, a true file tool would only show disk drives and their contents.
Windows Explorer extends upon this basic concept and uses Desktop as its
"root" for the local machine. Probably because access to most everything on
your system is available via the desktop one way or another.

So what you have in Windows Explorer is actually a representation of "two
trees" combined: disk structures and, if you will, "system structure."
Items such as "My Documents" and "My Computer" are what's referred to as
"namespace" items.

Namespace items can be portrayed in other areas of the system. For example,
think of the My Documents folder on the desktop (when placed there using
Display> Desktop> Customize). It doesn't have a shortcut arrow like regular
shortcuts to other folders. It is not stored on the desktop like other
folders that were created directly on the desktop. The namespace info
allows Windows to handle this folder a little differently.

Anyhow, the rationale is "many ways available to do the same task." A theme
that is prevalent throughout the structure of Windows.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sharon F wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:19:24 -0500, richard wrote:
>

>>You are right. When I collapse the C, the Documents folder does NOT
>>disappear. It is under "My Computer."
>>
>>I performed a small test--saved a document in "My Documents" and the
>>saved text appeared in BOTH "My Documents" and "Documents."
>>
>>If this is normal, as you say, I wonder what the rationale is for there
>> being two representations of the same folder.
>

> Well, a true file tool would only show disk drives and their contents.
> Windows Explorer extends upon this basic concept and uses Desktop as its
> "root" for the local machine. Probably because access to most everything on
> your system is available via the desktop one way or another.
>
> So what you have in Windows Explorer is actually a representation of "two
> trees" combined: disk structures and, if you will, "system structure."
> Items such as "My Documents" and "My Computer" are what's referred to as
> "namespace" items.
>
> Namespace items can be portrayed in other areas of the system. For example,
> think of the My Documents folder on the desktop (when placed there using
> Display> Desktop> Customize). It doesn't have a shortcut arrow like regular
> shortcuts to other folders. It is not stored on the desktop like other
> folders that were created directly on the desktop. The namespace info
> allows Windows to handle this folder a little differently.
>
> Anyhow, the rationale is "many ways available to do the same task." A theme
> that is prevalent throughout the structure of Windows.

I think I understand what you are saying--but one more observation:
when I looked at the tree again, I see there is a third "My Documents,"
right beneath the first item, "Desktop." Is it normal to have three
namespace items all the same?

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:55:10 -0500, richard wrote:

> I think I understand what you are saying--but one more observation:
> when I looked at the tree again, I see there is a third "My Documents,"
> right beneath the first item, "Desktop." Is it normal to have three
> namespace items all the same?

Yes, it is normal.
--
Sharon F