Sign in with
Your question

Memory Issues

Last response: in Memory
March 24, 2007 8:41:31 AM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 Small Form Factor and it is getting blue screens all the time. I ran MemTest overnight and it didn't find any errors in the memory at all. Could it be because the motherboard isn't compatible with the memory? I have two sticks of 512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR.

Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : memory issues

March 24, 2007 5:10:44 PM

Anyone?
March 24, 2007 5:26:11 PM

It's not clear to me which program you ran. If you haven't yet, run memtest86+ through at least a few complete cycles. If that works w/o errors, run Orthos under Winidows for at least a few hours. If still no errors, your CPU/RAM are probably OK.
Related resources
March 24, 2007 5:43:37 PM

Yes, I ran MemTest86+ overnight. (8+ hours) No errors at all. I'll try Orthos.

Do you know if there is a compatibility issue?
March 24, 2007 5:44:39 PM

to check your RAM ask any of your friends to test in their own computers..
so that atleast u can rule out the possiblily of defective RAM modules..
after that check the compatibility at manufacturers website..]
hope it helps..
March 24, 2007 5:50:12 PM

Quote:
to check your RAM ask any of your friends to test in their own computers..
so that atleast u can rule out the possiblily of defective RAM modules..
after that check the compatibility at manufacturers website..]
hope it helps..

Test the RAM for what exactly?

My computer is running right now with the RAM. It runs fine. It just has blue screens every once in a while. I'm just wondering if there is a compatibility issue maybe.

Can you link me to where I should be looking on the website? I have already found that my RAM speed and type are fine. But I need to know if there is SPECIFICALLY an issue with the brand (Mushkin). And THAT I cannot find anywhere.
March 24, 2007 5:50:31 PM

Umm, if he doesn't get errors with memtest86+ or Orthos, he's pretty much ruled out defective modules/incompatibilities.
Compatibility lists are typically not very useful, because RAM module designs/components change on a weekly basis (even if the part number doesn't change).
March 24, 2007 5:53:41 PM

Paul, don't worry about sh's post.

It sounds like RAM is likely not your problem (but I'd still run Orthos to stress test things). More likely are bugs in a driver (especially video drivers), or perhaps a component (like the graphics GPU) overheating. This might be something to pursue with Dell tech support.
March 24, 2007 5:57:08 PM

I'll try Orthos just to make sure. Is this it?
http://sp2004.fre3.com/

Is there any way to see the temperature of devices? I can't find anything in my BIOS (flashed to latest version).
March 24, 2007 6:21:24 PM

When did the BSODs start? Have you installed IE7?

I've seen a few computers developing BSODs or freezing after installing IE7, uninstalling did the trick. IE6 will automatically be reinstalled duing uninstallation. If it doens't fix the BSODs then at least you know it's not IE7 and you can reinstall IE7 from Windows Update.
March 24, 2007 6:24:45 PM

Quote:
When did the BSODs start? Have you installed IE7?

I've seen a few computers developing BSODs or freezing after installing IE7, uninstalling did the trick. IE6 will automatically be reinstalled duing uninstallation. If it doens't fix the BSODs then at least you know it's not IE7 and you can reinstall IE7 from Windows Update.

I try not to install viruses on my computer, haha!

(I never installed IE7 on this machine.)

BSODs started maybe a few days after I reformatted. Don't really remember now.
March 24, 2007 6:27:25 PM

Good :) 

I suppose you have checked at Dell for the latest drivers?

Have you checked your harddisk for errors?
March 24, 2007 7:13:45 PM

Quote:
Good :) 

I suppose you have checked at Dell for the latest drivers?

Have you checked your harddisk for errors?

Just rebooted and did a full check of my hard drive for errors. Everything went fine except for stage 4 of 5. It said "Windows replaced bad clusters in file of name \system~1\resto~1\RP8\A0009347.dll". Cool, I guess.

---

As for drivers, I flashed the BIOS to the latest ones. I have the latest video drivers and stuff.

But which drivers do you mean specifically?

-
March 24, 2007 7:25:09 PM

Yes, that's Orthos. In "normal" MB BIOS's you can view the current temps of a few components, usually CPU, PWM and "SYS". However, Dell tends to disable such features so as not to confuse the users. You might try running PC Wizard 2007 (another nice free utility) which reports all kinds of useful info and may be able to report temp info for your system. For GPU temp, though, you normally need a utility tailored to the specific graphics card you have.

However, your disk check concerns me. First, the file was a saved earlier-version system library (dll) file from system restore point 8, which likely means that that saved restore point is at least slightly corrupted. Perhaps it's just a fluke, but I would run a proper low-level disk diagnostic program (after backing up any important data in case the diagnostic pushes an ailing hard disk over the cliff of death). The different hard disk manufacturers each have their own free software for this. You may be able to find the name of the hard drive manufacturer and the drive model in the BIOS, but it should be available in PC Wizard 2007 as well.
Then, go to the correct manufacturer's website and download the diagnostic program, and run it according to the instructions. If it passes that, it's unlikely to be a disk drive hardware problem.
March 24, 2007 8:32:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's Orthos. In "normal" MB BIOS's you can view the current temps of a few components, usually CPU, PWM and "SYS". However, Dell tends to disable such features so as not to confuse the users. You might try running PC Wizard 2007 (another nice free utility) which reports all kinds of useful info and may be able to report temp info for your system. For GPU temp, though, you normally need a utility tailored to the specific graphics card you have.

However, your disk check concerns me. First, the file was a saved earlier-version system library (dll) file from system restore point 8, which likely means that that saved restore point is at least slightly corrupted. Perhaps it's just a fluke, but I would run a proper low-level disk diagnostic program (after backing up any important data in case the diagnostic pushes an ailing hard disk over the cliff of death). The different hard disk manufacturers each have their own free software for this. You may be able to find the name of the hard drive manufacturer and the drive model in the BIOS, but it should be available in PC Wizard 2007 as well.
Then, go to the correct manufacturer's website and download the diagnostic program, and run it according to the instructions. If it passes that, it's unlikely to be a disk drive hardware problem.

I'll check out PC Wizard.

And then the hard drive diagnostic program. And I suppose the Seagate Tools as well.

---

But alright, I'm about to run Orthos first.

What should I use for all the settings to best test the RAM? Should I run custom? Do I need to change the sensors?

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/74/settingsev3.jpg

-
March 24, 2007 10:59:33 PM

Blend - CPU and RAM. I didn't even look at the sensor window, but if it works for you, I'd watch temps.
March 25, 2007 6:15:30 AM

i ve said in previous post that u shud check the RAM is yr friends computer
but as you tested your RAM so RAM defectiveness rules out ,right ...

now we have to check for compatibility so do vice versa....i means
get RAM modules from your friend and check on your mobo...
and see if it still gets blue screen of death....

Also regularly check the harddisk..for bad sectors..
March 25, 2007 11:07:13 AM

Quote:
As for drivers, I flashed the BIOS to the latest ones. I have the latest video drivers and stuff.

But which drivers do you mean specifically?-

The drivers for you motherboard like chipset driver and so on.
!