Games crash after 15-20mins

hutchinson118

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Hi, I'm new to the forums, but a long time reader. I don't feel I know much about computers, but more than the average person. So, here is my problem I've recently upgraded a bit with a new mobo (DFI nf4 SLI-D), 2 gigs of patriot signature series, 7900gs and amd 3800 X2, but now when I play any game it crashes to desktop with the error blah blah xyz game has encountered and error.

I'm using xp pro which has all the updates, also I've tried graphics drivers with a rollback and even tweaked drivers, which did not solve any problems. So, I'm confused and am seeking advice from anyone and everyone. (just what other info you need and i'll get it asap)

Thanks Hutch

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sounds to be almost certainly the PSU. Post details of your current PSU for confirmation, but I reckon it's probably that.

You should have about a 400/450w PSU for that system to be safe, and of good quality.

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Always worth running a memtest86 test - helps rule out hardware.

Make a boot disk (http://www.memtest86.com/) then run the tests for a few hours - maybe 12?

No overclocking i assume?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Thanks for the reply, i have a 550w PSU Rosewill model: win550PS

Could you give us a link to where you bought it or the manufacturers page?

Or you could look at the sticker on it and tell us how many amps it gets on the 12v rail(s).

Good luck

Mondoman

Splendid
... I've recently upgraded a bit with a new mobo (DFI nf4 SLI-D), 2 gigs of patriot signature series, 7900gs and amd 3800 X2...
How exactly did you do the upgrade? In particular, did you reinstall Windows? If not, you'll have to do that (a fresh install would be best, but a "repair install" may work) so Windows installs the proper low-level code needed to deal with the specific hardware (chipset, etc) on your MB.