C2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
when I click on a program it opens the "Open With" window and I have to track the boot program inside my 'Programs' folder. other times it wont open the program at all and "Open With" doesn't appear.

that is the least of my problems...

I have deleted parts of my system32 folder and I am unable to look at my calender(double clicking on time on the toolbar) I am unable to restore my computer to a day before I deleted portions of my 'System32' folder. I am unable to use the shortcut in the toolbar to open help and support. I can open my control panel. But for most of the shortcuts it says: " '...'.exe application not found" and I am unable to open it.

The problem is that I am missing portions of my 'system32' folder. The prolem started when I got a virus who hid in my 'system32' folder called 'lockx.exe'. So in attempts to remove it I deleted alot of things I shouldn't have.

Thank you for your comments unless they are telling me how dumb I was for deleting that stuff lol. But thanks for reading and takeing time and lending a hand to us.

~C2

ohh btw... I lost my OS restore disk

riser

Illustrious
I have deleted parts of my system32 folder
The problem is that I am missing portions of my 'system32' folder.

I know what your problem is.. it's not the missing system32 folder..

It's you.

If you copied your i386 folder over to your C: drive which is highly recommended, you can restore..otherwise, you've fubar'd your computer. Borrow a CD and start over..

C2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
inside my system32 folder there are .exe files that are missing. Not all of them were deleted just some, for example my "rundll32.exe" is missing and the reason I know this is cause this file is the one that opens the calender/time for my computer on the toolbar(same example given above). There are others such as my "system" shortcut and my "install new hardware" as well as several others. Not that my system32 folder has been deleted just portions of it.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Theoretically!

Do a printout of your System32 files.

Take this to a friend's Xp comp and print out his collection of files in his System32 folder. Cross off on his, everything you have. What's left is what you need.

Hoping he has a burner; burn what you are missing to a cd. Take it home and copy these guys to your System32 folder.

What the hell; it's worth a try.