Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pocket IE and Sharepoint Web?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:09:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices (More info?)

I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and Pocket IE
does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a form.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Scott,-

More about : pocket sharepoint web

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:35:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Probably Sharepoint is punting out invalid HTML, or it is using the
DHTMLEdit controls rather than 'real' textarea / input boxes, or it's
using javascript to create parts of the page.

Without a code sample it's impossible to say, other than "suspect
broken Sharepoint" which means it's a site webmaster issue to correct.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:09:05 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
<scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:

>I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and Pocket IE
>does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a form.
>
>Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
>
>Thanks,
> Scott,-
>
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:08:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices (More info?)

It's known that PPC access is not supported.

Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
WSS FAQ at http://wss.collutions.com
Please post questions to the newsgroup only.


"Scott Townsend" <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote in message
news:uOSLfGadFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and Pocket
IE
> does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a form.
>
> Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott,-
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:23:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices (More info?)

How about using NetFront?

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Mike Walsh" <englantilainen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2356%23iqbdFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> It's known that PPC access is not supported.
>
> Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
> WSS FAQ at http://wss.collutions.com
> Please post questions to the newsgroup only.
>
>
> "Scott Townsend" <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote in message
> news:uOSLfGadFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and Pocket
> IE
>> does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a form.
>>
>> Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott,-
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:14:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices (More info?)

I have no idea what NetFront is - presumably you as a Mobile Devices MVP
would know.

All I know is that I was at a Mobile Devices tour event and got a clear
answer (which confirmed everything that I have read elsewhere) that v2 of
WSS is not supported on a PPC device.

Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
WSS FAQ http://wss.collutions.com
please reply to the newsgroup only

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%236wCahgdFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> How about using NetFront?
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "Mike Walsh" <englantilainen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2356%23iqbdFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> It's known that PPC access is not supported.
>>
>> Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
>> WSS FAQ at http://wss.collutions.com
>> Please post questions to the newsgroup only.
>>
>>
>> "Scott Townsend" <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote in message
>> news:uOSLfGadFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and
>>> Pocket
>> IE
>>> does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a
>>> form.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott,-
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:38:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi Mike - it's an alternative browser for Pocket PC made by a company
called "Access" (IBM do a mutimodal aka voice enabled variant).

http://msmobiles.com/article.php/60.html
http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/index.html

The main feature which pops up in this newsgroup is that it has Java
support (which Pocket IE doesn't have), but AFAIK Sharepoint (or at
least STS) doesn't use Java Applets in its pages.

But my feeling is, sharepoint is doing something odd with scripting or
DHTMLEdit - Pocket IE in general doesn't handle ActiveX controls, and
dynamic page rewiting isn't realistically possible, so anything which
uses script to do that,will break.

It's possible Netfront would support the hackery of sharepoint, but I
wouldn't hold my breath as the javascript object support may be
different that either PIE or desktop IE4/5 !

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:14:12 +0300, "Mike Walsh"
<englantilainen@microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have no idea what NetFront is - presumably you as a Mobile Devices MVP
>would know.
>
>All I know is that I was at a Mobile Devices tour event and got a clear
>answer (which confirmed everything that I have read elsewhere) that v2 of
>WSS is not supported on a PPC device.
>
>Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
>WSS FAQ http://wss.collutions.com
>please reply to the newsgroup only
>
>"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:%236wCahgdFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> How about using NetFront?
>>
>> --
>> Sven
>> MVP - Mobile Devices
>> "Mike Walsh" <englantilainen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%2356%23iqbdFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> It's known that PPC access is not supported.
>>>
>>> Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
>>> WSS FAQ at http://wss.collutions.com
>>> Please post questions to the newsgroup only.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Scott Townsend" <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uOSLfGadFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>> I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and
>>>> Pocket
>>> IE
>>>> does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a
>>>> form.
>>>>
>>>> Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Scott,-
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 3:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices (More info?)

NetFront
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12427

Micro browser NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC 2002 with JV-Lite2 supports rich
functions such as Smart-Fit rendering, Multi-Window and Auto-Cruise. Java
applets run with JV-Lite2 VM as Java plug-in.

Though @ $30, is it worth it? Its last review was in Dec of 2003... Not
real inviting...

Scott<-

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%236wCahgdFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> How about using NetFront?
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "Mike Walsh" <englantilainen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2356%23iqbdFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> It's known that PPC access is not supported.
>>
>> Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland
>> WSS FAQ at http://wss.collutions.com
>> Please post questions to the newsgroup only.
>>
>>
>> "Scott Townsend" <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote in message
>> news:uOSLfGadFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> I tried to log in to a windows Sharepoint site with my new PPC and
>>> Pocket
>> IE
>>> does not display the Textbox fields so I can not enter in data on a
>>> form.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott,-
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 8:03:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices (More info?)

"Scott Townsend" <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote in message
news:o zpBpxodFHA.3224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> NetFront
> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12427
>
> Micro browser NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC 2002 with JV-Lite2 supports rich
> functions such as Smart-Fit rendering, Multi-Window and Auto-Cruise. Java
> applets run with JV-Lite2 VM as Java plug-in.
>
> Though @ $30, is it worth it? Its last review was in Dec of 2003... Not
> real inviting...
>
> Scott<-
>


I would suggest trying a demo. So far I have found that it simply isn't
rich enough to support the web sites that do require the extra effort, and
fails to load some pages that it should otherwise. So far the best in
browser on a PPC for my particular use is the default wm2003 SE browser
with MultiIE, typically leave it single column for easy vertical dragging.

I am sure you will find other opinions, but this has been my own personal
experience.
!