Using Dual Gigabit Ethernet Mobo as a switch?

howierr

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard (Windows XP Pro), and it has two onboard Gigabit Ethernet ports. Port 1 is connected to my router (D-Link DGL-4300) 50 feet away using a Cat5E patch cable using the 1st Ethernet port on the Mobo. Port 2 is connected to my Xbox 360 5 feet away with another patch cable.

Is it possible for the dual Ethernet mobo to act as a switch? I have tried bridging the two connections (by selecting the two connections in Network Connections then right click > Bridge connections), it allows the Xbox 360 to go online, but it creates an extra IP address. I would like to avoid bridging the two connections because I move the Xbox 360 a lot, and it seems like every time I reconnect the Xbox 360, I have to delete the old Network bridge, and make a new one (hence the new IP).

Basically I am wondering if it is possible for my P5W DH Deluxe system to route the internet connection from the router, to my Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 -> P5W DH Deluxe Ethernet Port 2 -> P5W Ethernet Port 1 -> Router

If anyone knows any other method for doing this type of setup, please share with me. Any thoughts and comments are always appreciated!

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I'm having a similar problem. I have two PCs now. I have one 20 foot network cable. (CAT6 I think - I don't remember) I also have no wireless capability in either (not that I'd want it) one, have already filled up all 4 ports on the router anyway, and want to link the old PC through the new PC.

I'm running XP Home on both of them, with SP1 on the old one & SP2 on the new one (which has two NICs). When I installed the motherboard drivers (EVGA 680i by the way - and while I'm here, I doubt it makes any difference, but I have ASP.NET 1.1 on the SP1 PC & ASP.NET 2.0 on the SP2 PC) & rebooted, I was automatically connected to the internet through my router (a DGL-4300 by the way; somewhat finicky) on my new PC.

So as of now, I have LAN1 running from my new (currently used to type this) PC to the router, which then runs to the modem. All the other computers connect through the router as well. I have a shorter network cable running from the 2nd port of my new PC to the network port of my old PC. Hopefully there's some way to share the internet connection properly.

When I try to enable the internet sharing on LAN1 (where this PC gets its internet connection from) it tells me this:
An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address
that is required for automatic IP addressing.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I actually tried to enable ICS on LAN2 first, which gives me this error message:
An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) cannot be enabled due to an IP
address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be configured to use
192.168.0.1. Please ensure that no other client on the network is
configured to use 192.168.0.1.

I'm not exactly sure what bridging does, but I tried bridging the two LANs together & I didn't get any immediate results, so I deleted it while I wait to try something else in the meantime. I'm hoping that if I change the router's internal IP to 192.168.0.2 (or something) then enabling the ICS on LAN2 will work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to have to buy a switch & more network cables.

EDIT: I bridged the connections again, and it worked immediately this time...?_?... Thanks for the help in the other topics though!

howierr

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I just got this setup working earlier. You have to enable Internet Connection Sharing, and to do this without getting the error, you have to change the IP of your DGL-4300 to anything other than 192.168.0.1, because Windows only allows internet connection sharing through 192.168.0.1.

routergn7.jpg

After that you should be able to connect to the internet on your 2nd computer. The IP address and default gateway should be recognized automatically. If the two comps still won't connect, you probably have to try a cross over patch cable. In my case I tried both cross over and straight-through patch cables, and they both work.

DBEST1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi,

i have the same mobo, but im in halls so i don't have a router, i currently have my Local Area connection 1 connected to the network point in my room ( i live in student halls so its similar to a cable connection in a home but without the router )

isit possible for me to connect a laptop to my Mobo and " share " the internet??