long startup time w/ SATA drive

mrgumbytoyou

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I bought a new Seagate SATA hard drive and it kept locking up the computer. In a desperation move I decided to just let the computer sit and sure enough it finally completed the startup, loaded Windows XP and I was good to go. I did have to wait 3-4 minutes vs the usual ~1 minute.

I read the other post regarding long boot times and installed bootvis as suggested there. I have a boot log w the SATA drive connected and w/o. Surprisingly, it says the boot is complete quicker with the SATA drive (37 secs vs 58 secs) and the entire log is much shorter than the actual time from power on to windows XP login screen.

Any thoughts?

Intel D865GBF mb
Seagate 320 Gb Sata hard drive
Windows XP Sp2

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Is that a SATA II drive (300mbs)? Does your motherboard support SATA II? Sometimes, if you've got a board that only supports SATA 150, you have to set a jumper on the hard drive to make it compatible. All SATA's are not created equal. Just a thought.

mrgumbytoyou

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
This motherboard does not support 300 mbs so I set the jumper on the drive to 150. The drive does work if I wait long enough, it's running right now and it works normally as far as I can tell. I'm just uncomfortable about the long startup time.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Use the Seagate utility CD, or download from their website, and run a DOS level check on the drive. Sounds like something's amiss in the boot sector. Have you run a disk check through windows? Do you have the drive in the SATA 1 port? It just shouldn't take that long.