Thermaltake 1000w & 1200w psu

secunda

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Does anyone know about when these beauties(Thermaltake 1000w & 1200w psu)will be out ?.. I am working on a New Build...
I am going with Intel-quad core, considering r600, plus min-4g of ram....
Just waiting for the prices to fall some on the CPU's to make it more in my budget...
I want a PSU that will be there for when I up-grade the GPU & Memory later...
I already have an Thermaltake Armor series case

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
''I want a PSU that will be there for when I up-grade the GPU & Memory later... ''

i doubt we will need more watt in the future with the shrinking and 1200 watt whats up with that? ur using 40 harddrives?

with the gpu shrink hopefully we will see em use less watt and DDR3 which will come out in half of 2007 will use less also. u will be fine with a 750watt PSU

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Hmm, you could look for the corsair 600w power supply. The damn thing could power a whole 4x4 setup and an sli config. It sez that it's 90% efficient so you'd get the most out of juice.

It'd be better for your electric bill, but haven't checked how much is the damn thing. :lol:

sailer

Splendid
I ran some numbers through a psu calculator and you could get by with a 750wt psu even while running two 8800 GTX cards, which I'm guessing will be comparible to R600's as far as wattage used. If you're only planning on one video card, something in the 600-700wt class would be more appropriate. If you really wanted extra power for other upgrades, a 850wt psu could be used with two video cards. There's no reason to look at 1000-1200wt psus.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I already have an Thermaltake Armor series case

But man, he already got the case, but who knows he might ditch it. Still personally think 1K might be overkill, but if he truly need to have lots of hard disks and XFire, then 1K or even 1.2K PSU is the way to go

sailer

Splendid
I agree, its not simple. I was just trying to show how much power was actually needed, not which company's psu to buy. You're completely right, a poorly made psu rated at 750wt, or even 850wt, will cause trouble. For that matter, a poorly made 1200wt could cause trouble.

sailer

Splendid
Sailer: I'd have to disagree with you on that one, the r600 is going to have an 8pin 12v rail for a reason, for every two pins, you generally add 50w, so for the r600's 14 pins, you get 350w a piece, so double that for xfire to get 700w, and then add 300w for a quadcore, and you already reached a thousand, I know I may be over estimating a bit, but you don't want to stress the psu too much that it fries, which is why I like the p190's dual psu concept, so you don't stress the psus too much but spreading the load over seperate psus

Disagreement accepted. Here's my reasoning, which admittedly may be based on some false assumptions, but its what I have to go by. Using the eXtreme power supply calculator, an Intel Quadro Q6600, overclocked 20% at 1.4V, shows only 196 wts used. Changing the cpu to a QX6700 overclocked 20% is also 196 wts used. Running some guesses on total amount of hardware, I find 564wt used with a single 8800GTX and 750wt for SLI, using a 10% aging factor for surge compensation and 10% for capacitor aging. Even a 20% figure on capacitor aging only yeilds a 813wt use.

Until the R600 actually comes out, we won't know its actual power usage, so only guesses can be made. At the moment, I think a good 850wt psu would suit the need. Only actual figures about the R600 will tell if it has to be 1000wt.

secunda

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
thanks all for all of your insights on the matter.....

Also, i even thought about doing some modding some with hard-drive coolers, ect....

I just didn't want to under calulate...but also didn't want to over kill either...so far a good medium is looking like an 850w psu....but no more than 1kw psu....

sailer

Splendid
thanks all for all of your insights on the matter.....

Also, i even thought about doing some modding some with hard-drive coolers, ect....

I just didn't want to under calulate...but also didn't want to over kill either...so far a good medium is looking like an 850w psu....but no more than 1kw psu....

Ok, that's a thing I couldn't factor, how much hardware that you have. If you do a lot of mods/hardware additions, a 1000wt psu may be needed. For the moment, though, a 850wt should be enough and will cost a fair amount less. What is really needed is to know how much power a R600 is going to use.

It like I'm planning on a a new build in June and I'm buying parts as I go, such as hard drive, case, and such that won't care what cpu or motherboard I use. But without knowing how much power will be needed, I can't plan on how big a psu to buy. If I buy too big, then I've wasted money on excess power, but if I buy too small, then I've still wasted money because I need to buy a larger psu. Bah, Humbug!

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
theres a lot of websites recommending the rock solid Power & Cooling 750W QUAD SILENCER. but honestly, we should just wait until mphilchfamily comes to show his acknowledge in Powersupplies ;)