Mouse Problem: X1600's fault?

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
This problem happens every now and again, and I cannot identify the source. When I move the mouse, it sometimes tweaks a little bit. In other words, it is not as accurate as it is at other times. When I move the pointer around in a circle, the pointer-circle will sometimes shift positions on the screen, and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my GPU settings. I have an X1600pro and my res is at 1280x1024. I fooled with the settings a bit, but the problem is still persisting (I also tried unplugging and plugging back in the mouse). I sthere anything else I can do to fix this little annoyance? Thanks for any ideas.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
If you're using a cheap optical mouse then that's the problem, if it's a ball mouse, you need to clean the sensor.

The video card would have nothing to do with it.

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
thats very kind of you.

Yeah I could have put it a little more gently... 8)

Seems like if it's and old school mouse it either needs to be taken apart and have the sensor rollers cleaned of the gunk that tends to build up or it's going bonkers and needs to be replaced.

Ditto for the optical. Clean it. Still don't work? Toss it.

Your DAAMIT card is fine.

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for the advice and the burp :lol: It is an optical, and it is a cheap one. I plugged up my Microsoft optical, and I'm back in the groove now. The trash can has a new friend. I'm still learning about the little problems, so sorry if this was a stupid question. [A first-build takes some work, but I feel confident that I'll be able to build future rigs with little difficulty]

edit: Oh yeah, I know the X1600 is pretty crappy in relation to the 'big boys,' but I got it for 100 bucks from Best Buy, the day after Thanksgiving ("black Friday." After the fact, I realize that I could have just put another 50-75 to get something better, but I don't think it was too bad of a move for a rookie. Is this a reasonable thought?