lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hello all,

i was on my computer earlier this morning, doing various odds and ends, when the power suddenly cut off to this room. i wasn't doing anything extremely drastic at the time (checking email, probably downloading), but i was wondering, what kind of things can i try to make sure that all is well?

it turns out that the breaker was tripped somehow, and no matter how many times i've tried to flip it back or remove things from the specific circuit, i can't get it to power back on... [can anyone offer any help on that, also?]. i've switched my comp ONLY onto another circuit, and its working decently, but it didn't boot the first time...

i'm trying to defrag, i believe i'll run disc scan next, what else should i try? and am i freaking out too much? :lol:

thanks for your time, and i look forward to some input.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
By using your comp on another circuit I would say you have ruled it out as being the cause of the problem, a power outage is very unlikely to cause any serious damage to your PC.

Now you have the issue of just what is causing the trip, which we need to leave to you. Mind you take care, normally a good reason trip switches go, something in the house is leaking current.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
By using your comp on another circuit I would say you have ruled it out as being the cause of the problem, a power outage is very unlikely to cause any serious damage to your PC.

Now you have the issue of just what is causing the trip, which we need to leave to you. Mind you take care, normally a good reason trip switches go, something in the house is leaking current.

thank you very much for the reply, jamesgoddard. i am scared about the breaker deal, especially with it not being able to flip back to normal... somethings definately not right, and i'll try to call an electrician sometime.

i didn't really think that the computer itself could be the CAUSE for the tripping of the circuit, its USUALLY on [ :lol: ] and nothing bad has happened like this before... oddly enough i can't think of anythign that was extra or suspicios on the circuit at the time of the trip. regardless, i was worried more about the shape that my computer itself was in; it appears okay, but some suggestions on tests would be appreciated.

hdds don't appear fried 8)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Circuit breakers trip due to something on their circuit using more current than the breaker is rated for. Breakers do get old, BTW, and weaker with age, so say a 20 amp breaker that is quite old might actually have a rating of 15 amps. Breakers can alst trip due to an external reason such as a power surge, but I'd expect more breakers than one to trip...

I'd do two things if I were you. Find out what else is using that circuit and unplug the stuff, and retry the breaker. If no joy, you do probably need an electrician...

And think about getting a good ups.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Circuit breakers trip due to something on their circuit using more current than the breaker is rated for. Breakers do get old, BTW, and weaker with age, so say a 20 amp breaker that is quite old might actually have a rating of 15 amps. Breakers can alst trip due to an external reason such as a power surge, but I'd expect more breakers than one to trip...

I'd do two things if I were you. Find out what else is using that circuit and unplug the stuff, and retry the breaker. If no joy, you do probably need an electrician...

And think about getting a good ups.

haha yeah i think i need an electrician... i took like EVERYTHING off the circuit pretty much... oh wait the alarm clock was still on :roll:/ :lol: . i will look into a ups, it scared me BAD when everything was just OFF in a split second and i feared i had lost it all... not a good feeling.

the house is quite new, we're coming up to our first full year of living in it. that not only means that it shouldn't do this, but also it should be under warranty :twisted: so we'll see how it goes. thank you very much for your response.