question on ping??

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
When u use ping and ping a website for example and u get packet loss is it your cables that could be bad or the websites. I have pinged the loopback and get no packet loss. i tried replacing the dsl modem to router cable but still see packet loss when pinging other website?? Is my dsl modem bad

riser

Illustrious
No, the webpage probably doesn't allow you to ping it.
The opening line gives you an IP address, meaning the site ir probably there (because its showing up in whichever DNS).

Pinging cnn.com [64.236.24.12] with 32 bytes of dat

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.236.24.12:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100%
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

www.cnn.com is up, but they don't allow you to ping it.

If you get nothing like what is listed above, at that point the webpage is down.

Trying pinging your router, then your modem.
After that, try pinging your Default Gateway.
If you can ping all of those, everything is fine.

Riser

harvyk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Packet loss occurs because the time out is reached, when a ping heads out onto the internet it has to return within a certain amount of time otherwise it will be deemed as lost... You will probably notice that when you ping a website the response times will go up and down, this is because of congestion on the routers and QoS... when a ping is lost it has just taken to long to get back...

With 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...

harvyk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Just quickly to answer your original question, no your cables DSL router and any other piece of equipment is not bad as long as if they have an IP address you can ping it with no packet loss...

With 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...