Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win7 mermory usage too high?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 29, 2009 4:17:18 AM

Hello all,

I recently switched from winXP pro sp3 32bit to win7 pro 64bit.
I am using win7 as classic mode, all fancy stuffs turned off.

- Windows XP used 300mb when bootup with all softwares default installed that I use
- Windows 7 uses 1200mb when bootup with all softwares default installed that I use

I think the base memory usage is too high, even though I have currently 6gb stick of ram.
Is there anyway to lower the 1200mb ram usage and achieve most efficiency?

Thank you for your comments in advance.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 29, 2009 4:24:17 AM

Not really anything that can be done, but I wouldn't worry about it. You may be able to drop the default ram usage a small margin, but not enough to make it worth actually doing it.

If your system is running fine, leave it alone.
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:31:44 AM

But isn't win7 clumsy just because it uses so much ram initially?
WinXP feels much snappier because it uses much less ram from the start.

I believe my above logic is true and it is important to lower the mem usage.
Just leaving alone because the system runs fine is not a good a solution, for it is still clumsy.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 29, 2009 4:37:25 AM

I'm not so sure it's clumsy. Windows 7 prefetches a lot of frequently accessed data to make it more readily accessible to the user. Background services are also pre-loading a lot of stuff to make the system feel snappier. I think if you ask around, many people will tell you Windows 7 actually feels snappier than XP. I certainly think so. The actual count of how much ram the OS itself uses is almost irrelevant given how much RAM costs these days.

Edit: What I'm really saying here, is that you're nitpicking over something that really doesn't matter. If you have to look at the OS ram usage, you're either too paranoid about that kind of thing, or you need more ram (read: cost of RAM)
m
l
November 30, 2009 2:08:57 AM

Cmon.

Maybe you are the kind who prefers a gas guzzler, just because the gas price was so cheap.

For me, even when the gas price was so low, I always leaned on most efficient cars in terms of mpg.
Never felt interest on a big fat stud, even though it was so darn cheap.

Sigh.

I was expecting more detailed answers such as, which services can be turned off, etc....
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 30, 2009 2:12:04 AM

publicjj said:
Cmon.

Maybe you are the kind who prefers a gas guzzler, just because the gas price was so cheap.

For me, even when the gas price was so low, I always leaned on most efficient cars in terms of mpg.
Never felt interest on a big fat stud, even though it was so darn cheap.

Sigh.

I was expecting more detailed answers such as, which services can be turned off, etc....

If you're really that picky about it, see BlackViper's Windows 7 Service Configurations

And for the record, I wouldn't compare Windows 7 to a gas guzzler. Windows Vista, maybe.... but not 7. You really are making something out of nothing here.
m
l
November 30, 2009 2:41:45 AM

Thanks !
Great site !
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2009 7:57:34 AM

Don't worry about how much is used. Windows 7 will use more RAM if more is available, since anything that is in RAM can be accessed much more quickly than if it were on the disk. If you installed it on a computer that only had 1GB of RAM, it would only use 300-400MB. As for how snappy an OS feels, I've never felt an XP install that did everything as quickly as my current win7 install does. XP always seemed to take a while to log in, especially as the computer aged. Win7 logs in and is ready to work almost instantly.
m
l
November 30, 2009 2:11:11 PM

Yeah.. I don't get why people complain about high memory usage. It's a good thing. What's the point in having all that ram if it never gets used? It's better to have windows prefetch or whatever so it's already in the ram when you need to use it.

And just so you know, if you're using a program that needs a lot of ram, windows will drop the other stuff that isn't necessary to make room for the program.

The prefetching is why vista and windows 7 use more ram than xp. And it's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Also going to a 64bit os does increase the base memory usage.
m
l
November 30, 2009 3:59:24 PM

yadge said:

And just so you know, if you're using a program that needs a lot of ram, windows will drop the other stuff that isn't necessary to make room for the program.

You sure ? Any link regarding your info above?
m
l

Best solution

November 30, 2009 4:09:57 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-vista-super...

"Similar to conventional Windows caching, SuperFetch will not touch its cached data unless there is an application that requires main memory space. Windows will not prioritize the SuperFetch feature over memory requests by applications, as this would cause the memory management to swap data onto the swap file, which of course would slow down the whole system considerably."

I'm pretty sure that's what that means. In any case, you can always disable superfetch if you like.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-dis...

I'm guessing it's pretty similar on windows 7. Also, if disabling superfetch doesn't have much of an effect, and you want other services disabled, I don't know of any really... but someone here can probably give you a few ideas.
November 30, 2009 5:33:55 PM

yadge said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-vista-super...

"Similar to conventional Windows caching, SuperFetch will not touch its cached data unless there is an application that requires main memory space. Windows will not prioritize the SuperFetch feature over memory requests by applications, as this would cause the memory management to swap data onto the swap file, which of course would slow down the whole system considerably."

I'm pretty sure that's what that means. In any case, you can always disable superfetch if you like.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-dis...

I'm guessing it's pretty similar on windows 7. Also, if disabling superfetch doesn't have much of an effect, and you want other services disabled, I don't know of any really... but someone here can probably give you a few ideas.

Wonderful info !
Thank you for mentioning Superfetch.
m
l
December 15, 2009 7:05:13 PM

I would also think Superfetch saves your hard drive a bit, allowing it to work less by pre-loading some process used by frequently accessed programs. Although i was concerned about how much RAM my system was using at Idle too, until I read a few articles here and there.
m
l
!