New player strategy.

I am fairly new to the Pokemon games. My daughter has the GBA and had
Ruby. I bought Fire Red and Sapphire (before I knew that Sapphire was
just Ruby with some different pokemon.) I have played a little on
Sapphire and less on Ruby, but I have over 40 hours in on Fire Red. I
The first of May I bought Emerald. I haven't seen it yet, but my
daughter keeps talking about how much she likes it.

My question is, how many pokemon should I be raising? I have finally
raised all my critters to at least 10-14 and more than half 15-19 with
about a dozen raised over 20. Two are over thirty including my 48
level charmelion (evolved to the third level).

I have spent many hours trying to keep the critters leveled together
and paired (male and female) so they may be bred later on. Now I find
out that I need an extra for trading, lol.

I found the right combination for fighting Misty was four Pekachu
level 14+ and two level 14 Butterfree. However, I used vs seeker to
help level up my critters so my main force is now close to level 30 or
higher. At this point, I am just over powering the challengers and
gym leaders.

I don't want to restart the game again. (I had to do that when I met
Misty without any pekachu.) But I am considering creating a few
retirement bins and parking the pokemon I don't want to build up etc
there and keep a main force of about six to twelve pokemon raised for
fighting etc.

any thoughts?

Buck
Buck
--
For what it's worth.
8 answers Last reply

    Buck wrote:
    > I am fairly new to the Pokemon games. My daughter has the GBA and had
    > Ruby. I bought Fire Red and Sapphire (before I knew that Sapphire was
    > just Ruby with some different pokemon.) I have played a little on
    > Sapphire and less on Ruby, but I have over 40 hours in on Fire Red. I
    > The first of May I bought Emerald. I haven't seen it yet, but my
    > daughter keeps talking about how much she likes it.
    >
    > My question is, how many pokemon should I be raising? I have finally
    > raised all my critters to at least 10-14 and more than half 15-19 with
    > about a dozen raised over 20. Two are over thirty including my 48
    > level charmelion (evolved to the third level).
    >
    > I have spent many hours trying to keep the critters leveled together
    > and paired (male and female) so they may be bred later on. Now I find
    > out that I need an extra for trading, lol.
    >
    > I found the right combination for fighting Misty was four Pekachu
    > level 14+ and two level 14 Butterfree. However, I used vs seeker to
    > help level up my critters so my main force is now close to level 30 or
    > higher. At this point, I am just over powering the challengers and
    > gym leaders.
    >
    > I don't want to restart the game again. (I had to do that when I met
    > Misty without any pekachu.) But I am considering creating a few
    > retirement bins and parking the pokemon I don't want to build up etc
    > there and keep a main force of about six to twelve pokemon raised for
    > fighting etc.
    >
    > any thoughts?
    >
    > Buck
    > Buck

    I just raise about four or five to take me through the game, plus one
    for HMs to sit in the back of the group. The level doesn't matter for
    breeding.

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > Buck wrote:
    >> I am fairly new to the Pokemon games. My daughter has the GBA and had
    >> Ruby. I bought Fire Red and Sapphire (before I knew that Sapphire was
    >> just Ruby with some different pokemon.) I have played a little on
    >> Sapphire and less on Ruby, but I have over 40 hours in on Fire Red. I
    >> The first of May I bought Emerald. I haven't seen it yet, but my
    >> daughter keeps talking about how much she likes it.
    >>
    >> My question is, how many pokemon should I be raising? I have finally
    >> raised all my critters to at least 10-14 and more than half 15-19 with
    >> about a dozen raised over 20. Two are over thirty including my 48
    >> level charmelion (evolved to the third level).
    >>
    >> I have spent many hours trying to keep the critters leveled together
    >> and paired (male and female) so they may be bred later on. Now I find
    >> out that I need an extra for trading, lol. I found the right combination
    >> for fighting Misty was four Pekachu
    >> level 14+ and two level 14 Butterfree. However, I used vs seeker to
    >> help level up my critters so my main force is now close to level 30 or
    >> higher. At this point, I am just over powering the challengers and
    >> gym leaders. I don't want to restart the game again. (I had to do that
    >> when I met
    >> Misty without any pekachu.) But I am considering creating a few
    >> retirement bins and parking the pokemon I don't want to build up etc
    >> there and keep a main force of about six to twelve pokemon raised for
    >> fighting etc.
    >>
    >> any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Buck
    >> Buck
    >
    > I just raise about four or five to take me through the game, plus one for
    > HMs to sit in the back of the group. The level doesn't matter for
    > breeding.

    Depends on why you are breeding. If you are breeding to pass on moves that
    are naturally learned you need to raise both the male and female to have
    both with the moves you would like to pass on.

    As for the original poster Buck, mostly what works is having a wide variety
    of types. And while bug types tend to be available and evolve early in the
    game they also tend to fade away. The goal is to beat the Elite 4 (E4 with
    actually one more) and they have certain types that you need to raise pokes
    to beat.

    You don't need to start over again though. I turned off my gameboy when I
    found I didn't have the Ice moves neccessary to beat the Dragons. This is
    called resetting, and it can be very important. There are some pokes that
    are only available once in a game and if you lose or beat it without
    catching it you will not have a chance to get it again without resetting the
    game.

    And you can always come back and raise your favourites later, and some pokes
    grow at different rates, making the slow ones harder to raise.

    Depending on how much you like knowing what is to come you could check out
    www.gamefaqs.com for info. There are walkthroughs that are very specific
    and there are guides that cover a wide range of the compications of Pokemon
    and Pokedexes so that you know what moves are to come. Have fun!

    daramark

    On Mon, 9 May 2005, daramark wrote:
    > As for the original poster Buck, mostly what works is having a wide
    > variety of types. And while bug types tend to be available and evolve
    > early in the game they also tend to fade away.

    Depends on the Bug, really. In R/S/E, Beautifly (Aerial Ace, Silver Wind,
    Giga Drain and Stun Spore being my preferred moveset) is well worth the
    time and effort. In my Emerald game, I'm about to assault the Team Aqua
    hideout and my level 42 Beautifly (with that moveset) is still taking an
    active role. She'll probably still be around for the Elite Four. :)
    Now, for battling against humans, I probably wouldn't take it against the
    more fanatical battlers, but it'd do quite well, I'll bet, for the casual
    battlers (you know, those who use their story-mode lineup and don't
    specifically tune to take on other humans - far more fun that way, IMHO)

    Buck wrote:
    > My question is, how many pokemon should I be raising? I have finally
    > raised all my critters to at least 10-14 and more than half 15-19 with
    > about a dozen raised over 20. Two are over thirty including my 48
    > level charmelion (evolved to the third level).

    That depends on what you're raising them for. If you're trying to beat
    the game - e.g., beat Misty et al - I've found that Ash's strategy works
    well: raise one main pokemon, and rotate a few others as they give type
    advantages or moves of use against certain trainers. Mainly, just work
    that one pokemon (my starter, usually, unless I acquire another pokemon
    of similar level but better stats) to the bone, using it to lead against
    every trainer and quite a few wild pokemon until it's near fainting.
    I've been able to build up a consistent 10 level advantage over even the
    gym leaders by the latter half of the game that way - and at that point,
    so long as you keep enough variety of move types so you don't have to
    use ones that are weak or ineffective due to type against whatever
    specific pokemon you face, you can often just roll right over the gym
    leaders.

    This strategy doesn't work once you get to level-automatched areas like
    the Battle Frontier, but by that point you've already "beaten" the game.
    (Then again, for the BF itself, you can apparently get the stat-up items
    cheap in terms of Battle Points, then sell those for Pokeyen or whatever
    the monetary unit is, which can in turn be spent to acquire TMs and
    other useful items. Now if only you could buy Rare Candies, levelling
    up would become a lot less time consuming.)

    "Chet Weaver - But the talent contest is tomorrow!" <ZeroOhki@netscape.net>
    wrote in message news:428129fd@news.usenetzone.com...
    > Buck wrote:
    >
    >> I don't want to restart the game again. (I had to do that when I met
    >> Misty without any pekachu.) But I am considering creating a few
    >> retirement bins and parking the pokemon I don't want to build up etc
    >> there and keep a main force of about six to twelve pokemon raised for
    >> fighting etc.
    >>
    >> any thoughts?
    >
    > Yeah, that's what I do. I go with two special boxes, one for my team and
    > another for Pokemon I'm trying to evolve. Once I fully evolve a Pokemon,
    > I either put it on my team or just to another box. For my team, I
    > generally stick to one favorite per type and rotate them when they level
    > up. When I get tired of that, I just try to keep all my bases covered
    > typewise and keep to six Pokemon. In the past, I've spread out my HMs
    > amongst my team, but next time I think I'll keep the HMs on one or two
    > utility Pokemon.

    I have done both the HM slaves (Farfetch'd was great for this) and spreading
    out the HMs. I think the HM slaves work best because then you just have to
    level them up to about 40 playing through the game, and switching them out
    for some other more useful pokes leveling up. But once you beat the E4 and
    are just leveling up pokes and catching pokes they become the strongest
    members of your young teams and can really help out.

    Because of all the Water HMs I find that Azumaril is wonderful, especially
    if you get one with Huge Power (or whatever it's called) instead of Thick
    Fat. They learn 5 HMs, so you don't have to stick all the water on one but
    you can, and still have a physical attack. Tropius is another, because of
    Fly (very important for leveling up, fight until everyone is almost gone and
    then Fly to the Pokecenter of your choice) and it learns Cut (it's a useless
    move though) too. And of course there is Zigzagoon/Linoone who can learn
    lots (including Surf), but you should leave Covet on. Never know when you
    might need a Heartscale. :) Mind you for Flash I still can't seem to break
    my dislike of the move. I tend to find some poor poke who can learn it, use
    it for those tasks only and box it till next time. I don't even know who
    has it right now in either Sapphire or Ruby. And yet I love Sand Attack.
    Same move but with different accuracy, so maybe that's why (doubt it
    though).

    daramark

    Leveling up is a very anooying thing for me to do but I find that it is
    the best. This is just my oppinion but take a few pokemon you like and
    are of different types(for type adv. and dis adv.). Find a place to
    train based on level and move when your pokemons exp. isn't gaining any
    ground and move to spot where you can find higher level pokemon.
    Depending on where you're at in the game this could take anywhere from
    a couple of hours to weeks of leveling up you partners. Hope this helps
    daramark wrote:
> [...]
    gone and
    > then Fly to the Pokecenter of your choice) and it learns Cut (it's a
    useless
    > move though) too. And of course there is Zigzagoon/Linoone who can
    learn
    > lots (including Surf), but you should leave Covet on. Never know
    when you
    > might need a Heartscale. :) Mind you for Flash I still can't seem to
    break
    > my dislike of the move. I tend to find some poor poke who can learn
    it, use
    > it for those tasks only and box it till next time. I don't even know
    who
    > has it right now in either Sapphire or Ruby. And yet I love Sand
    Attack.
    > Same move but with different accuracy, so maybe that's why (doubt it

    Ha, I do the same thing with Flash. I think in RUBY I caught a nobody
    Pokémon who could learn FLASH, named him "TORCH" (which I think is the
    British term for "flashlight" ... no, I'm not British), and only pulled
    it out of the PC when I had to go into a cave. I did not even bother
    to level it up.

    I sort of wish that you just needed a FIRE Pokémon in your party in
    order to see in caves rather than have to use a special move. I think
    Charmander's tail lit many a dark cave for Ash on the show.

    - Chad
    who really wishes trading between games was not *required* in order to
    acquire all of the Pokémon

    daramark wrote:

    > Mind you for Flash I still can't seem to break
    > my dislike of the move. I tend to find some poor
    > poke who can learn it, use it for those tasks only
    > and box it till next time.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "Chad Rushing" <notus00@aol.com> wrote in message
    Ha, I do the same thing with Flash. I think in RUBY I caught a nobody
    Pokémon who could learn FLASH, named him "TORCH" (which I think is the
    British term for "flashlight" ... no, I'm not British), and only pulled
    it out of the PC when I had to go into a cave. I did not even bother
    to level it up.

    I sort of wish that you just needed a FIRE Pokémon in your party in
    order to see in caves rather than have to use a special move. I think
    Charmander's tail lit many a dark cave for Ash on the show.

    Now there's a Bright Idea. I dislike naming my pokes, so I probably
    wouldn't have thought of it. Though I have named a few pokes, usually
    because I hit the wrong button when I caught them.

    I tend to have to look at all the pokes in several boxes to find the
    miserable Flash move. And yes the Brits call a flashlight a Torch (I'm not
    either, but I read a lot of mysteries and Brits tend to write some of the
    best).

    Thanks! I am hoping to get something Pokemon for two special occasion coming
    up. Money permitting of course.

    daramark

Sapphire Video Games