Supporting the Weight of the Scythe Infinity

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I have concerns about the weight of the Infinity and how much stress it will put on my motherboard (P5W DH Deluxe). So I want to support it by bracing it to the metal frame above the cooler with one of the faceplates from the back of the case I removed to install the graphics card (if you find this confusing, look up pictures of my case, the Lian Li PC-65). I'll use a self-tapping screw to make the attachment into the Scythe and chassis. My question is, is it okay to have the metal of the HSF indirectly touching the metal of the chassis by this bracing? I'm worried about electrical discharge issues.

I can't respond for two hours, if you need pictures of this, I'll gladly post them later tonight (Pacific Daylight Time, currently 5:35 PM).

vonagio

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I have an Infinity, and it shouldn't be to heavy. As mpilch said as long as you don't move it much, or throw it around there shouldn't be a problem.

If your worried about electrical conductivity, use a rubber washer to isolate the heatsink. Although I dont think that would be a problem...

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
If you're concerned about the mounting of the Infinity you can always remove the plastic push-pins and replace them with a more secure screw method. Link! Not only do you get a more secure mounting but as a result temperatures will drop a few degrees because more pressure is being applied. I wouldn't worry about its weight, the other heatpipe tower coolers do just fine though a lot of them use a backplate (you can use one made by Thermalright for the mod if you really are that worried). If motherboard PCB couldn't handle the weight then we wouldn't have coolers that are so heavy.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Thanks for your replies guys, my dad is REALLY the one worried about this, since he footed the bill for this build :twisted: . It's an, ahem, "family computer". I don't expect this to be a LAN party machine, so it shouldn't be an issue.

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Thx Arrowyx - that's a great link.

I'll be looking into applying that mod as I am not comfortable with the supplied fixing for this heatsink.