Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I know this is a little OT, but noone answered me after 3 days in the proper section :(

Hey, Im looking for a USB or PCI solution to use to convert home videos on VHS to DVD. I would input the video thru Svideo or Composite, and the Audio thru component.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116628

Cost isnt really an issue, I just want the best quality.

Ive read up on this card and It seems to be great, its got TONS of inputs, dual processors, and a good brand name. One thing is that there are 2 versions of the card, one manufactured by Samsung and one by Phillips. The Samsung SUX and the Phillip rocks. Everyone who got the Samsung seems to be returning it. How would I tell If I got a Samsung? Does it say it on one of the chips?

Also, Ill be running XP Home. I dont plan on watching/recording TV on this though. Should this be an issue ??(WinXP.) ? It also says that I need a compliant dvd software decoder. Would PowerDVD 6 /5 be fine?

Lastly, this card seems to be HUGE. This should fit though in a Antec P180 though, right?

*ALSO* needs a sound card, will my Bluegears Benspirer work with it? There might be some internal connection btwn the Sound card and the Hauppauge card.

tell me anything you know on the subject

thnx