trouble installing windows on my new pc

jonnnnnnnnnnn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I am a first time builder that is having a great time working on my new machine. however, I have encountered a problem while trying to install windows xp to my system. Here is the situation:

1)Computer is completely built and BIOS is configured, the next step is to install windows.
2)I have a Widows Upgrade that has already been used on another computer in my house and a Window ME disk so I can use the upgrade.
3)The install works fine until the end of the final installation of window. Windows should go right to the "welcome to windows screen" so i can hit the next button and so on. On my computer, the computer reboots once the installation is complete and goes to a screen that says something like "sorry for the inconvenience, but windows could not start. This may be do to recent hardware or software changes in your system". The screen gives several options:

start windows in safe mode, start windows normally, start windows at the last working settings etc...

Inevitably, the computer reboots after 30 seconds and gets stuck on the same screen.

4)I have run hard drive tests as well as memtest to test my ram, and the computer has passed.

Any information you could give me on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
For some reason, something got corrupted during the install. Wipe the hd and start over.

FYI, you cannot legally run the same XP copy on two machines at the same time. You will only be able to get updates & patches on one.

jonnnnnnnnnnn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
ive tryed the install several times, once with an XP update and once with a CD that came with my brothers computer all leading to the same result. Does anyone think that if i just bought windows for myself the problem would go away...i dont see how this would make a difference during the actual install.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Your problem is not connected to the cd's at all.

Were you diligent in making sure that the memory is completely compatible with your mobo? There are literally dozens of different timing issues happening between cpu - chip set - ram.

When you bought the ram, was your mobo listed in its' compatibilty chart?

Since you've used different cd's to attempt the install, and all the equipment is brand new (that is right, isn't it?), my educated guess always turns to a memory problem.

How many sticks? Upon carefully reading the mobo manual, are they in the proper banks?

Even though they passed Memtest, they still may not be okay with your mobo. Clear this issue with us, and we'll go from there.

Something else to do. Go into your BIOS, find the page where you can set defaults, and do so.

jonnnnnnnnnnn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
all eqipment is brand new.

i checked Crucial's site to check compatibilty with my motherboard, unfontunalty my mobo is not not even in the directory. I think this might be because my mobo model is pretty new so maybe crucial hasn't updated yet. my memory stick was listed as compatible for the platnum version of my mobo...im not sure this means anything.

my ram info: 1 Gb, Crucial product #:CT12864z265.
my mobo: MSI K8N SLI pn: ms-7185.

I have 2 questions,

Was it ok for me just to get one large stick of memory?
Should I send the crucial memory back and start with some memory that im sure is compatible with my mobo?

thanks so much for the help so far

-jon

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Check your mobo's manual in the memory section. Some mobos require two sticks. This will tell you. If the manual lists just bank 0 as being occupied on one of the lines, you're okay with one stick.

I would definitely call Crucial to speak to a techie there. Tell him you want to verify, beyond doubt, compatibilty on the ram you've purchased. Tell him installs are not working on brand new equipment. If his database can't do that, ask for a suitable replacement.

I would also call MSI tech support. They test their products with memory. Find out what they recommend.

sturm

Splendid
You mentioned the bios is configured. Does that include any overclocking?
If so you might try loading defaults and see if that fixes the problem. You might try it even if you arent overclocking.
Once windows is up and running correctly then you can go back and try the overclock or any other changes you had made.

jonnnnnnnnnnn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I fixed the problem!!!!

It turns out that i was simply not partitioning my hard drive correctly...i was assinging windows to unpartitioned space so it obviously could not be recalled later on. Thanks for everyones help, if it had not been for some of your ideas this problem would have taken alot longer.

-Jon