SP2

Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has dialup
and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I can't find a
site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the professional
one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??

Patty
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Patty wrote:
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has dialup
    > and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I can't find a
    > site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the professional
    > one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

    go to this link:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx

    Item #6 is the full SP2.

    You can download, then burn it to a CD.

    gls858

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

    It's about 272MB. In the future, you can find things like this by
    going to the MS site (http://www.microsoft.com) and clicking on the
    Downloads link. Then Search for a Download such as: "SP2" as the
    keyword and "Windows XP" for the Product.

    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has
    dialup
    > and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I
    can't find a
    > site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the
    professional
    > one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

    You can download the full version of SP2 here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    There is no Professional version of SP2. This download is meant
    for both versions. It is become quite common for dial-up users to
    get someone they know who has a broadband connection to download
    this file and burn it onto a CD for them.

    An alternative would be to order the free CD from MS here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    When I ordered this CD last fall, it took less than a week to
    arrive.
    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister
    > has dialup and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it
    > faster but I can't find a site that has it separate from MS
    > upgrade site. I did find the professional one but can she get
    > in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

    Try here

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Then burn it to disk

    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has dialup
    > and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I can't find
    > a site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the
    > professional one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

    Patty

    Your sister has three choices..

    Choice #1.. it can be ordered from Microsoft, free of all charges..

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    Choice #2.. go to any major computer store and ask for the free SP2 CD..

    Choice #3.. relies on a friend or colleague having high speed internet and a
    CD burner..

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Your sister will also find the following website useful reading PRIOR to
    installing the SP2 update..

    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has dialup
    > and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I can't find
    > a site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the
    > professional one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

    Thanks guys;
    I found that one myself but was alittle confused at the developer line. I
    have DSL I am the friend! Just wasn't sure if that was the same download I
    got from updates. It seems larger than the one they gave me. Also she
    cannot get the about blank out of her machine and we have tried it all from
    trend micro--Microsoft--hijackthis---and the shredder. Can SP2 still be
    installed? We got everything else out--searchbar etc. We both use Pc Cillin
    2005. And yes all was done in safe mode. Just can't shake the about blank,
    homepage.
    Patty

    About:blank.. http://lunatic-skydance.de/mr/soft/SpoonWeg.exe

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Thanks guys;
    > I found that one myself but was alittle confused at the developer line. I
    > have DSL I am the friend! Just wasn't sure if that was the same download I
    > got from updates. It seems larger than the one they gave me. Also she
    > cannot get the about blank out of her machine and we have tried it all
    > from trend micro--Microsoft--hijackthis---and the shredder. Can SP2 still
    > be installed? We got everything else out--searchbar etc. We both use Pc
    > Cillin 2005. And yes all was done in safe mode. Just can't shake the about
    > blank, homepage.
    > Patty
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Patty
    >>
    >> Your sister has three choices..
    >>
    >> Choice #1.. it can be ordered from Microsoft, free of all charges..
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >>

    >> Choice #2.. go to any major computer store and ask for the free SP2 CD..
    >>

    >> Choice #3.. relies on a friend or colleague having high speed internet
    >> and a CD burner..
    >>

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
    >>

    >> Your sister will also find the following website useful reading PRIOR to
    >> installing the SP2 update..
    >>

    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has
    >>> dialup and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I
    >>> can't find a site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find
    >>> the professional one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP
    >>> home??
    >>>
    >>> Patty

    Hi Patty, You can get a sp2 disk from Microsoft.
    Go to Microsoft web site, under " product Families" click windows, go down
    to the sp2 block click that, and on the right side below Get windows XP
    service pack 2, click on order CD and follow the instructions, the disk and
    shipping is free, and you should get it within a week,
    Hope this helps, Bill
    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has dialup
    > and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I can't find
    > a site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the
    > professional one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks guys;
    > I found that one myself but was alittle confused at the developer line. I
    > have DSL I am the friend! Just wasn't sure if that was the same download I
    > got from updates. It seems larger than the one they gave me. Also she
    > cannot get the about blank out of her machine and we have tried it all
    > from
    > trend micro--Microsoft--hijackthis---and the shredder. Can SP2 still be
    > installed? We got everything else out--searchbar etc. We both use Pc
    > Cillin
    > 2005. And yes all was done in safe mode. Just can't shake the about blank,
    > homepage.
    > Patty

    Do NOT install SP2 on an infected machine. All sorts of things may break.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    SP2 is SP2 there is no "Home" and "Pro" versions of the service pack.

    "Patty" <pbrown32@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to download the upgrade to a folder? My sister has dialup
    > and it says 57 hrs for the download---I can get it faster but I can't find
    > a site that has it separate from MS upgrade site. I did find the
    > professional one but can she get in trouble with that one on XP home??
    >
    > Patty

Download Microsoft Windows XP