Sign in with
Your question

Ordering new comp... Need advice

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2007 2:38:52 AM

I am somewhat savvy to computer hardware but am by far a genius to understanding it all. I'm going to post the specs for a new computer I want to build... If you guys see anything that wont work out please! let me know

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ (Dual Core) AM2 2048K Cache

Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe nForce 590, SLI PCI-EX, DDR2 ,1GB LAN, iEEE,WiFi

DDR2 memory:
4GB (4x1GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 Dual Channel (IS this to much RAM or should i got with a 3 or 2?)

Video Card: GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb PCI EXpress 16X dual head, tv out

Hard Drive: 320.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache

I want the best and something that will last years to come. So, if there is something better that I can do let me know.

More about : ordering comp advice

March 25, 2007 3:23:02 AM

So should I buy an intel since it out does the AMD x2?
March 25, 2007 3:24:22 AM

Also, im using this computer only for gaming, so should i buy XP or Vista. I heard vista has problems running games
March 25, 2007 4:05:27 AM

ok this is from what i understand, wouldnt a 10,000RPM HDD be better then the 7,200 you selected? Some1 correct me if im wrong.
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2007 4:06:21 AM

Quote:
So should I buy an intel since it out does the AMD x2?

This is up to you and the budget you want to spend. AMD has priced down their CPUs to a point that for the money they are competitive.

If you want the fastest processor you can get today for a reasonable price, the E6600 is a great processor, coming in the 300-320 range. If your budget goes as high as 500 for the processor, the E6700 is the next step up, and will give 10-15% better performance.

However, the AMD 6000+ just barely underperforms this processor on normal routine things (encoding, multimedia, games), and performs above it in rendering (fractal algorithms, raytrace rendering etc). It is about to get the price axe down to the 240-250 range so compared to the E6600 is attractive.

Any AMD processor above a 5600+ or Core 2 Duo at E6600 or higher will give you a good few years before software exceeds it to the point of needing another upgrade. Prehaps longer.

I don't really want to steer you one way or the other, my preference is the Core 2 Duo for several reasons --- Intel's process technology is more robust (evidenced by the overclocking capability of these chips), they run cooler, and will perform great with lower speed memory. AMD's chips need DDR2-800 to match what I guided you interms of performanc above. I would not pair an AMD processor with anything lower than DDR2-800.

PS: C2D strength is actually in gaming, so if this is your major app, then this is the processor to get in my opinion.

Jack

ditto! If $ is not too much of an issue, the C2D is the way to go. If your wanting to save some $ and still have a good system than go with AMD. Good luck with either system that you buy.

PS What case/PSU were you going to use? Make sure you have a competent PSU to power the video card and everything else. Otherwise you will have a kicka$$ system that doesn't work fully.
March 25, 2007 2:35:56 PM

Ok so if I go Intel this is the build I would go with

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700, 1066FSB (Quad Core) 8000K (I've actually heard somewhere that the quad core isnt that great should i just go with the dual 6600?)

Fan: Spire VertiCool II Socket 775 Intel EXTRA QUIET (Since I know that Intel requires a heavy duty fan I made sure to get a socket 775)

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, (Quad Core) SLI PCI Express, Sound, GB LAN, iEEE

1rst Hard Drive: 36.0GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM SERIAL ATA UDMA 150 8m cache

2nd Hard Drive: 320.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache

Case: Thermaltake Shark AV7000BWA black, side window, front USB & IEEE

PSU: Apevia (Aspire) 680W ATX Aluminum Power Supply, SLI Ready, Fan Controll

My AMD system was going to cost me 2,800 the Intel system is going to cost me 3,800. So I'm going to spend 1,000 more than I would have hoped is there something I need to change or dont need? Let me know and thanks for all your help
March 25, 2007 2:37:50 PM

processor: quad 6700 or dual 6700 i meant?
March 25, 2007 2:38:13 PM

once again like i said earlyer, and im 75% sure on this wouldnt a 10,000RPM HDD be better then your selected 7,200?
March 25, 2007 2:43:28 PM

My first hard drive is a 10,000 rpm
March 25, 2007 2:44:02 PM

oh i seei, i didnt see the 1st and 2nd thing goin on there, sry. :oops: 
March 25, 2007 3:29:22 PM

Quote:
Ok so if I go Intel this is the build I would go with

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700, 1066FSB (Quad Core) 8000K (I've actually heard somewhere that the quad core isnt that great should i just go with the dual 6600?)

Fan: Spire VertiCool II Socket 775 Intel EXTRA QUIET (Since I know that Intel requires a heavy duty fan I made sure to get a socket 775)

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, (Quad Core) SLI PCI Express, Sound, GB LAN, iEEE

1rst Hard Drive: 36.0GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM SERIAL ATA UDMA 150 8m cache

2nd Hard Drive: 320.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache

Case: Thermaltake Shark AV7000BWA black, side window, front USB & IEEE

PSU: Apevia (Aspire) 680W ATX Aluminum Power Supply, SLI Ready, Fan Controll

My AMD system was going to cost me 2,800 the Intel system is going to cost me 3,800. So I'm going to spend 1,000 more than I would have hoped is there something I need to change or dont need? Let me know and thanks for all your help

Many people on here think the Striker is overpriced. The EVGA 680 SLI board is quite popular, and cheaper.

The E6600 is comparable to the you orignally chose, switch from QX6700 to E6600 and use the EVGA board and you're almost back to the price of the AMD system with superior overclocking capabilty. Or supposedly the E6700 will drop to about the current price of E6600 (~$310) on April 22. I think the concensus on this board is that the Core2Duo's work fine on the standard Intel heatsink if you don't plan to overclock them - they have much less power dissipation than the Pentium 4/D did.

That PSU isn't one of the "preferred" ones. I would go with PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, or Silverstone myself. Check out the PSU101 sticky thread in the PSU forum.

What RAM are you going to use? Somebody on here will probably have some suggestions on that for you as well.
March 25, 2007 3:32:18 PM

O yea i forgot to put the ram

I was going to go with 4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2 800 Dual Channel ...
Is 4 to much or should I got with 3 or 2? Also about vista... should i get for gaming or shout i just get xp?
March 25, 2007 3:36:41 PM

All they have as far as PSU is thermaltake, Okia, and Apevia should I just go somewhere else for a PSU?
March 25, 2007 3:45:01 PM

Quote:
O yea i forgot to put the ram

I was going to go with 4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2 800 Dual Channel ...
Is 4 to much or should I got with 3 or 2? Also about vista... should i get for gaming or shout i just get xp?

I'm going for 2 Gigs myself in the next build, but more usually doesn't hurt. I say usually because some people have had trouble getting Vista to work with 4 Gigs. I would also stay with XP for now - Vista seems to be a bit slower and last I checked people were still compaining about the GF8800 series drivers in Vista. I wouldn't upgrade to Vista until they get a service pack or two out and games that support DX10 start coming out. Or to be safe you could always dual-boot Vista and XP.

Also, if you go Vista (esp. if you dual boot), you might want to jump to the 75 GB or 150 GB Raptor as each OS seems to take up more and more HD space. I have the 37G Raptor in my 3-1/2 year old computer and love that drive. It's probably the only piece that will migrate into my new system. However, it gets a little tight with space when I forget to change the install directory for software onto my bulk drive or when crappy software doesn't prompt me for where to put it.

Overall that sounds like an awesome computer you've got shaping up there. Remember today's overkill is tomorrow's baseline.
March 25, 2007 3:45:27 PM

Quote:

If you want something with similar performance to the 6000+ then go with the E6600 or E6700, not the QX6700 which has four cores instead of two and costs a lot more. The QX6700 costs ~$650 more than the E6600.
March 25, 2007 3:52:19 PM

Quote:
I say usually because some people have had trouble getting Vista to work with 4 Gigs.

The problem with 32 bit Vista (and XP) is that it can't recognize all 4 GB, not that it won't work.
March 25, 2007 4:19:35 PM

To get the full effect of anything over 1.5 gb of ram (if memory serves) youll need either windows xp 64bit, or vista 64bit. problem is in a 64bit system, at least in basic windows performance, Intels C2D line loses a good bit of its performance advantage.
March 25, 2007 5:01:20 PM

Well, I don't know if this will be any help, but I'm currently building a system and here's what I've ended up with some explanations why I chose these.

C2D E6700 (Wanted X6800, couldn't justify $450 for an extra 266MHz. The C2D are just plain the fastest chips out there right now.)

Zalman 9700 NT (Planning on doing a slight overclock, this guy has a massive amount of heat dissipation.

EVGA 8800 GTX (If you're going with an 8800 series, you should go with EVGA only because it's been out for almost 5 months, video cards are refreshed typically every 6 months, EVGA has a step up program so you aren't obsolete quite so quickly.)

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 (Wanted something that would be able to support the next gen Intel chips with 1333 FSB plus the hardware checksumming on the ethernet can take a fair bit of load off the CPU when doing high speed transfers. Was originally looking at the ASUS P5N32-E SLI as I've always liked ASUS and the striker extreme only had LEDs all over the board so you could work on it in the dark and a display on the back that I'd never look at. But I've read some stability issues with the P5N32-E SLI and the EVGA has been highly recommended several places. Then to top it off, newegg was offering a free copy of supreme commander when buying the proc and EVGA mobo together.)

Disk 1 Raptor 150 gig. (The descreased seek times are always a good thing on your primary boot drive.)

Disk 2 320 gig Western Digital SATA II. (Have one of these in my current system, going to migrate it to my new one)

Disk 3 750 gig or 1 TB drive. (Decision on this will be when the 1TB drives come out, if they're way to expensive, I'll just skip it and go with a 750 gig. You can never have too much HDD space.)

2X2gig Kingston HyperX PC2-800 DDR2 low latency RAM. (Wanted to go with 8 gigs, but nervous about if any OS could actually support 8 gigs. I know Win XP and several distros of Linux top out at ~3.5 gigs. I'm hoping the 64 bit versions won't run into the same ceilings, so I'm testing at 4 gigs first. Everybody says 2 gigs is enough, but I view 2 gigs as kind of the base line anymore. The Kingston HyperX was chosen because they're the only ones who currently have low latency 2 gig DIMMs, that I could find and was a brand I trust, just not familiar with G-Skill. Also as a note, the memory is my biggest worry of compatibility, this is the only component which hasn't come in yet, and when testing with some borrowed memory, everything worked fine, but as 2 gig DIMMs aren't that prevalent, I'm just hoping everything works out.)

850 watt Enermax Galaxy (I like Enermax, have had good luck with them in the past, wanted a Liberty, but couldn't find them for sale in the US when I bought my PSU. Was looking at PC Power and Cooling, but the single rail design seemed like a bad idea, just seems like running that much amperage through a single rail would cause significant voltage losses due to I*R losses. The Galaxy had enough amperage on a single 12V rail and a friend has one and says it works great for him.)

TJ-09 case. (Toms recommended it, though I wasn't convinced and compared it to several Lian Li cases. It won out due to it's size, I wanted something very large, and also the top panel USB/firewire/audio jacks. When I was putting all my components in, I fell in love with it because every time I decided I wanted to do something, a started to look at the case to figure out how I wanted to do it, and immediately found a way to do it included with the case. A bit expensive, but wonderful case.)

Thats what I went with and why, hope it's a bit of a guide since it seems you're building something similar.
March 25, 2007 7:00:06 PM

Quote:
I say usually because some people have had trouble getting Vista to work with 4 Gigs.

The problem with 32 bit Vista (and XP) is that it can't recognize all 4 GB, not that it won't work.

There seem to be some issues even with Vista 64 bit - maybe only with the nVidia chipset. Like for example this fix from M$:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930261/en-us
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2007 2:38:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Just get 2gb and xp for now. Vista so far sux for games.

2nd that! Don't forget to look at the PSU reference here http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

It will direct you to some very good and stable PSU's for your system. I believe you would need at least 34 Amps on the 12V rails to meet your minimum system specs that you want. If you go with a PSU with more Amps on the 12V rails than you will be better off later down the road when you want to upgrade. Good luck with the build, whichever way you go. You won't regret building your own system.
!