Batteries on Game Cartridges

I recently started up my POKéMON SILVER game for the first time in
probably a year and was immediately given a message after pressing the
START button that I had to set the time on the game again before
proceeding.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is the game catridge's internal
clock the first thing to be dropped if the battery is low? How long do
these batteries last anyway? I hate to think I'm going to sink 100+
hours into a cart only to have it erased when the battery dies
unexpectedly.

Does it help to start up the game every now and then rather than just
letting a cartridge sit idle for months or even years? My interest in
POKéMON waxes and wanes over time, so my games often go unplayed for
long periods of time.

Also, it seems that it takes longer and longer to save my game as I
collect more POKéMON, so I wonder if that affects the battery life,
too.

- Chad
who still cannot get his WURMPLE to evolve into a CASCOON on EMERALD no
matter what time of day or night it is
10 answers Last reply
More about batteries game cartridges

    Thanks for the advice on the CASCOON, but does anyone have any comments
    on the batteries dying issue?

    - Chad

    Chad Rushing <notus00@aol.com> wrote:
    [snip]
    > who still cannot get his WURMPLE to evolve into a CASCOON on EMERALD no
    > matter what time of day or night it is

    I'm unsure if things have changed in Emerald, but in R/S Wurmple's
    evolution depends on it's personality.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Chad Rushing <notus00@aol.com> wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > who still cannot get his WURMPLE to evolve into a CASCOON on EMERALD no
    > > matter what time of day or night it is
    >
    > I'm unsure if things have changed in Emerald, but in R/S Wurmple's
    > evolution depends on it's personality.

    Um, no. It's completely random (or maybe semi-random, based on IVs since
    resetting and evolving over and over never managed to change what the
    Wurmple would become) which way the Wurmple will go. Personality (proven by
    both the Dustox and Beautifly on my Ruby game both being Timid), time of day
    it's caught or time of day when it evolves, gender, or even whether it's
    leveled up normally, via Rare Candies or Exp.Share.

    Wish I still had the records that I made tracking the Wurmples I evolved
    for that very purpose, but they were lost in a pre-Christmas crash. :/

    It really depends on time, but not exactly day and nigut :

    To evolve Wurmple into Cascoon, you'll need to make it reach level 7 between
    21h00 and 23h59
    In the other case, it'll evolve into Silcoon
    "Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> a écrit dans le message de
    Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050517060405.8670B-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

    "Ze Killer News" <zekiller12000@free.fr> wrote in message
    > It really depends on time, but not exactly day and nigut :
    >
    > To evolve Wurmple into Cascoon, you'll need to make it reach level 7 between
    > 21h00 and 23h59
    > In the other case, it'll evolve into Silcoon

    So it needs to evolve from 9 PM to 11:59 PM? Easy way to check, get a
    Wurmple, get to level 7 before, reset the game, get to level 7 after. Just
    found a fun project ^^ I'll post results after a couple days.
    --
    fluxxdog
    www.bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/fluxxdog

    That is exactly what I did

    I also noticed that for Eevee the day/night limit for evolution is at 10h00
    A.M.

    "fluxxdog" <screw.the.sp@m.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    Bbtie.1388$Uy2.672@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
    > "Ze Killer News" <zekiller12000@free.fr> wrote in message
    >> It really depends on time, but not exactly day and nigut :
    >>
    >> To evolve Wurmple into Cascoon, you'll need to make it reach level 7
    >> between 21h00 and 23h59
    >> In the other case, it'll evolve into Silcoon
    >
    > So it needs to evolve from 9 PM to 11:59 PM? Easy way to check, get a
    > Wurmple, get to level 7 before, reset the game, get to level 7 after.
    > Just found a fun project ^^ I'll post results after a couple days.
    > --
    > fluxxdog
    > www.bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/fluxxdog
    > The worse crime you can commit against another human is to make them
    > think.

    Yeah, my LEGEND OF ZELDA and FINAL FANTASY for NES are both still able
    to save games after almost two decades ... go figure.

    - Chad

    Chet Weaver - But the talent contest is tomorrow! wrote:

    > As for battery life, I have an old issue of Nintendo Power that
    > says the batteries the keep save data saved should last for about
    > five years. I imagine that modern cartridges can maintain a save
    > longer, though. However, I have a Star Tropics game for the NES
    > that still maintains it's save data... assuming I can get the NES
    > to work.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chet "Tech" Weaver
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "Chad Rushing" <notus00@aol.com> wrote in news:1116803497.786515.81350
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Yeah, my LEGEND OF ZELDA and FINAL FANTASY for NES are both still able
    > to save games after almost two decades ... go figure.
    >
    > - Chad
    >

    > Chet Weaver - But the talent contest is tomorrow! wrote:
    >>
    >> As for battery life, I have an old issue of Nintendo Power that
    >> says the batteries the keep save data saved should last for about
    >> five years. I imagine that modern cartridges can maintain a save
    >> longer, though. However, I have a Star Tropics game for the NES
    >> that still maintains it's save data... assuming I can get the NES
    >> to work.

    At the other extreme my girlfriends Ruby cartridge on occasion produces
    the message, "the internal battery has run dry, you may still play the
    game but time time based events do not occur."
    The Cartridge probably has about 200 hours of playtime on it.
    Ted

    --
    Stare to long into the abyss and the abyss looks like a nifty place to
    hide the bodies

    On Mon, 23 May 2005, weirdwolf wrote:
    > At the other extreme my girlfriends Ruby cartridge on occasion produces
    > the message, "the internal battery has run dry, you may still play the
    > game but time time based events do not occur."
    > The Cartridge probably has about 200 hours of playtime on it.

    That bug in Ruby/Sapphire is fixable by linking up with Fire Red/Leaf
    Green (dunno about Emerald)... [link the GBAs with the Fire/Leaf being set
    as player 1. Turn on the F/L, but not the R/S. When F/L reaches its title
    screen, hold Select & B to get to the rest of the instructions]

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    Joseph William Dixon <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in
    a:

    > On Mon, 23 May 2005, weirdwolf wrote:
    >> At the other extreme my girlfriends Ruby cartridge on occasion
    >> produces
    >> the message, "the internal battery has run dry, you may still play
    >> the game but time time based events do not occur."
    >> The Cartridge probably has about 200 hours of playtime on it.
    >
    > That bug in Ruby/Sapphire is fixable by linking up with Fire
    > Red/Leaf
    > Green (dunno about Emerald)... [link the GBAs with the Fire/Leaf
    > being set as player 1. Turn on the F/L, but not the R/S. When F/L
    > reaches its title screen, hold Select & B to get to the rest of the
    > instructions]

    Hmm, the clock problem doesn't cause that message to occur though does
    it? It only stops time based events occuring after 100 hours of play
    without the message about the battery.
    Ted

    --
    Stare to long into the abyss and the abyss looks like a nifty place to
    hide the bodies

Battery Games Nintendo Video Games