Aspect Ratios: input signal vs output signal

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 4, 2004 1:06:00 AM

I have a brand new HD-ready 4:3 tv. I just added an LG LST4200A STB.
Plugged it in, scanned for stations, and am able to receive about 25
stations beautifully. No problems at all considering I'm about 65 miles
away from the transmission sources. The STB is set for native input
(420i/p, 720p, and 1080i). The tv can display all of those formats as
well. My question is this: I was watching the football game this
afternoon on the CBS affiliate. The LG said the input was 16:9/1080i.
The picture displayed on my tv was just amazing in widescreen format. I
don't mind letterboxing so it was ok. Just like watching a widescreen
DVD only better. After the game, another program came on and the LG
said that the input was also 16:9/1080i. This time, the picture
displayed was in a standard format (25" diagonal) so I had a 4:3 inside
of my 4:3 tv. The picture and sound was exceptional only it had
pillorboxing as well as letterboxing. Why? I could expand the picture
so that it filled the screen like a widescreen DVD but then the picture
was distorted a bit. Later on, on another station, the same sort of
thing happened. One program is beautiful widescreen and the next
program is standard formatting even though the input says HD (16:9,
1080i). Are the stations playing games because they don't quite have
their act together or what. Thanks.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:26:17 AM

"Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a brand new HD-ready 4:3 tv. I just added an LG LST4200A STB.
> Plugged it in, scanned for stations, and am able to receive about 25
> stations beautifully. No problems at all considering I'm about 65 miles
> away from the transmission sources. The STB is set for native input
> (420i/p, 720p, and 1080i). The tv can display all of those formats as
> well. My question is this: I was watching the football game this
> afternoon on the CBS affiliate. The LG said the input was 16:9/1080i.
> The picture displayed on my tv was just amazing in widescreen format. I
> don't mind letterboxing so it was ok. Just like watching a widescreen
> DVD only better. After the game, another program came on and the LG
> said that the input was also 16:9/1080i. This time, the picture
> displayed was in a standard format (25" diagonal) so I had a 4:3 inside
> of my 4:3 tv. The picture and sound was exceptional only it had
> pillorboxing as well as letterboxing. Why? I could expand the picture
> so that it filled the screen like a widescreen DVD but then the picture
> was distorted a bit. Later on, on another station, the same sort of
> thing happened. One program is beautiful widescreen and the next
> program is standard formatting even though the input says HD (16:9,
> 1080i). Are the stations playing games because they don't quite have
> their act together or what. Thanks.

Your problem is typical of a non-standard 4:3 HD ready set.
HD is a 16:9 format............always............

That means when a 4:3 picture is shown on an HD transmission it is within
the 16:9 frame.

If you can trade up for a proper 16:9 set, you should do so.
======================================
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:51:23 AM

In article <41615bdb$0$27716$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com>, Richard
C. <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:

> "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message
> >I have a brand new HD-ready 4:3 tv. I just added an LG LST4200A STB.

<snip>

> Your problem is typical of a non-standard 4:3 HD ready set.
> HD is a 16:9 format............always............

what I found out is that if the original programming is not done in
true HD (16:9, 720p/1080i) then the broadcaster will "add" the side
bars and upconvert the signal to 720p or 1080i. The STB sees the input
as 16:9 720p/1080i and sends that to the tv. The tv see "HD" and adds
the bars to the top and bottom. The side ones are already coded and
hence I have letterbox/pillarbox.

> That means when a 4:3 picture is shown on an HD transmission it is within
> the 16:9 frame.

yep.

--

!