pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
When I first heard of slipstreaming on this forum, I thought I'd like to try it just for the experience. You know, broaden one's horizons.

Well, I finally decided to give it a go yesterday. Downloaded all of the following:

Network version of SP2
IsoBuster
nLite
.Net Framework 2.0

I copied my XP cd to a folder and then "integrated" the SP2 download into the XP files. I received confirmation that the "Integrated install has completed successfully."

Using IsoBuster, I extracted Microsoft Corporation.img and placed that into the XP files folder as well.

Everything humming along so far. The next step is to burn a bootable cd using the contents of that XP file folder. My first attempt at this was using Nero Burning Rom. I set up the boot tab parameters as per instruction, and then ISO, Label, hit New and drag & drop all the files into the ISO1 pane. The next step is to start the burn. Blank disc in.

Nero NEVER TOUCHED MY CD-R,RW DRIVE. Instead, it proceeded to assemble the image, and "burn" it to my hd. Upon inspecting it, it wasn't even a replica of the XP cd. It was one giant *.nrg file.

Okay, this Nero app is stupid. I go to nLite (which needs the Framework) and go through all the same steps. Hit the "burn" button, and nLite NEVER TOUCHED MY CD-R,RW DRIVE. Instead it also deposits a giant *.iso file on my hd. OOOOOh for two.

I try the same process with Roxio Easy "Whatever" v6 with the exact same result. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh for three.

Now, I'm a guy who is very scrupulous in following directions from people smarter than me. So what did I miss??????????????

BTW, I also tried doing a cd burn of the XP files folder just for the hell of it. This cd does not boot.

Let's all beat this up and get educated.

This added note here comes two hours later, the contents of which will make this post even more interesting.

For the hell of it, I took the cd with the XP folder contents over to one of my 98SE machines. I copied the cd to the hd - opened up Nero Burning Rom and PROCEEDED TO PRODUCE A WONDERFUL, BOOTABLE XP INSTALL DISC; thank you very much!

I can only think that the negative result inside of XP, may have something to do with the native cd burner monopolizing (or locking) my rom drive to be available only to it? We all know that it's a Roxio product.

Is there a way to kill the inherent burner to free up my CD-Rom drive? This is my educated guess. The floor is open.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I did choose "CD-ROM boot" as the first step. When it asked for the image file, I sent Nero to the XPcd folder where I had placed the image, which in this case is Microsoft Corporation.img extracted from the XP Home cd.

The basic problem is that Nero DOES NOT SEE MY CD-ROM DRIVE! The native burner does, however, and has no problem writing to it.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did your burner show up in Nero (in Choose Recorder menu)? And what is the brand name and model of your burner? From your post, obviously none of these programs (Nero, Roxio and NLite) did not recognize your burner at all. Did your XP's Device Manager list your burner there?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Burner did not show up in Nero's menu. It only lists a "virtual device" which does not see media.

Dynex (from BestBuy) dx-cdrw. 52-32-52

Device Manager lists the Dynex, and says it's working properly. Well, for the native burner it does.

Another glitch, for informational purposes: When I pop up My Computer, the CD-Rom drive shows up as CD-RW. After I put in a blank media, this changes to CD drive only.