Spyware Doctor Worth $10 More Then CounterSpy?

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Hi, I'm going to reinstall windows and am going to buy a Spyware program. I always hear rave about Counterspy and it's reviewed al the time in PC World Magazine. Spyware doctor is also an amazing program too. Spyware doctor costs $30 while Counterspy only costs $20. Can anyone that has used both programs or can help me out, Is Spyware Doctor worth the extra $10? Does it have more features then Counterspy? There both amazing programs and either one will be great to have. Thanks

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Because I respect steve_sa's views, I decided to try Spy Sweeper.

I am now in accordance with him. Spy Sweeper is better than Pest Patrol. Very user friendly; very copious in its' work; and full reports with easy to see results. Highly recommended!

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
:) :D

Thanks, pscowboy!

I got on their mailing list, and received a promotional offer for $10 off, so if you don't buy, you can wait for that. I don't know if they will repeat or not, but that was nice.

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I run the yahoo toolbar with anti-spy, spyware doctor and of course lavasoft's ad-aware.

however, since I switched browsers to firefox I almost never find any spyware on my pc at all.

I tried a number of those freeware applications earlier, but a number of them removed programs that caused my pc problems. and that was when I was using netscape. but with firefox running it doesn't matter what I'm doing with my browser I almost NEVER pick up even 1 tracking cookie, etc.

it seems to me spyware is simply another method the industry is using to scrape nickels out of your wallet into theirs, and I refuse to go along with it if I have any choice

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Already bought; and opted for the two years @ $39.

There is a problem when sweeper is installed where IE becomes very slow. If you see that, make sure to upgrade to the latest sweeper s/w version. Took me 2 hours to figure this baby out.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I have used most of the major anti-spyware programs (currently have Pest Patrol, CounterSpy, Spy Sweeper, as well as Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE, SpywareBlaster, custom HOSTS file, custom blocking lists, among others).

I have found that Spy Sweeper can be a greater drag on the system, therefore, I keep it current but "inactive" and fire it up as a scanner only. My experience has been that when new versions come out, they are often buggy and it's best to wait a week or so for the revised builds that fix the problems.

With that said, you can always get the latest version/build from Webroot by going to this site and requesting the latest and greatest: Spy Sweeper. Of course you will need your registration information - ie, email address you used originally to register the product. Webroot will email you a link to the latest build in minutes.

Hope this helps.

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The best thing to do is provide preventive maintenance. Thats why I use spywareblaster and now I'm totally spyware free and have been for 2 years.

PC Magazine rated Spyware Doctor over Spy Sweeper, but their tests were pretty biased and the spyware sample was pretty low in count. Same with PC World's test. Only 72 spyware files. I'm so pissed off that I'm purposely using sites like SpywareGuide and databases like Spybot's in-program list of products to create the largest test sample of spyware in the universe.

My advice is to get a free basic scanner and Google all the .exe processes you find in Task Manager. Then use Hijackthis and manually kill the buggers.

However if I were to incorporate some kind of commercial scanner I would definitely use CounterSpy. Resident protection hardly takes any resources for me, it doesn't slow down performance (unlike Norton Internet Security, which, IMHO, is a train wreck), and its the only one to remove Sony's Rootkit.