Jittery CPU

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hello,
Am I right in thinking that the CPU (and overexertion of it) is the main cause of lag in games? I'm wondering because I'm experiancing some kind of "jittering" in games such as Oblivion and FEAR, with an 8800GTS, E6600 @ 3.06GHz (no voltage raise :D), and Patriot eXtreme Performance at 877MHz. When I look at such peformance measuring utilities such as nTune, I see that my hardware is nowhere close to being maxed, and with Fraps and likewise FPS measurers, I get reported frames of 70+, but the games still have an ugly jittery feel. I would like to fix this.

Could my overclocking be a problem?

I hope someone understands what I'm asking. I know it's not very clear. Thanks anyway.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Hello,
Am I right in thinking that the CPU (and overexertion of it) is the main cause of lag in games? I'm wondering because I'm experiancing some kind of "jittering" in games such as Oblivion and FEAR, with an 8800GTS, E6600 @ 3.06GHz (no voltage raise :D), and Patriot eXtreme Performance at 877MHz. When I look at such peformance measuring utilities such as nTune, I see that my hardware is nowhere close to being maxed, and with Fraps and likewise FPS measurers, I get reported frames of 70+, but the games still have an ugly jittery feel. I would like to fix this.

Could my overclocking be a problem?

I hope someone understands what I'm asking. I know it's not very clear. Thanks anyway.

Enable verticle sync and see if that seems better, or try using a higher refersh rate.... this is not a CPU problem. Do you hear the sound stutter?

i had problems with (fear) on my 8800gpu, my older 6800gpu played it
better, until i disabled v-sync.
must have set v-sync by defualt after the new card was installed.

Ive read somewhere online (some gaming spot) that on Oblivion, sometimes you need to actually have your charactor look around in a 360 degree, allowing the graphics ( I guess) to load in the v-ram. If its a 320mb gts, this could be the culprit