Pesky random lock-ups, help!

cm_rollo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Hi, I'm a linux guy and arent very experienced at tracking down tricky problems in Windows XP Pro so I was hoping someone could give me a helping hand.

The problem is that windows will freeze up at random. It will stay frozen for somewhere betwene 10 seconds to a minute normally, and sometimes it never comes back. The screen will freeze up, the keyboard and mouse will stop working, any sound playng will hang and sometimes it seems to try and access my (empty) cd-rom player (led flashes). It doesnt seem to be connected to any particular activity. I'v gotten it connected to the internet, not connected, sound on/off, browsing the net, just using a text editor etc etc.

I dont know exactly what I could have done to cause it, but I guess its due to my tune-up/update session I had before it started acting up. I got all available patches from windows update, flashed with a fresh BIOS. New nForce4 drivers, new graphics card drivers (nvidia 6600gt), new network drivers. I'v tried reinstalling all those drivers and it hasnt helped :(

I dont think it could be a bios problem since linux is working fine (I'm double-booting), heat sensors arent registering anything wierd and my 520W PSU should be plenty for the hardware I'm using.

I'm not getting any BSOD or entries in the Event Log under Administrative Tools about errors so I'm at a complete loss as to how to track down the source of the problem. *squeaks for help*

EDIT Some stuff i forgot: accessing the internet seems to make it happen more frequently (but that could be my imagination) and I'v had it happen while the Task Manager was open and I didnt see any new processes pop up or eat lots of CPU. I'v also scaned for viruses with a newly updated version of Kaspersky.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Have you scanned for malware? Most will not be found with antivirus software. I'd suggest first using the online scanner at www.pandasoftware.com or www.trendmicro.com. They will tell you if you have malware not being detected by your antivirus. This may not be your problem, but it's what I would try first.

cm_rollo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Thanks for the reply :) I'v tried it with adaware and couldnt find anything. There is also no wierd processes in any of the registry startup locations... but I'll try out the programs you suggested tonight.. I'm getting desperate :S

CcXD

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Have u tried Windows restore? Itws an option that comes with windows, which lets u "go back in time", and change most system configuration/changes uve made in since last system bakcup. its the safest to do after reinstaling. Maybe one of those "Drivers" was a troyan or malware, try checking more often those files

cm_rollo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ah yes.... I kind of had Windows Restore turned off ;S I'm pretty sure none of the drivers are malicios software though. They are downloaded through MSIs auto-updater that came with my motherboard.

cm_rollo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I ran the suggested programs and didnt find anything overly malicious (just some nasty cookies), and I did a windows "repair" installation which didnt help either. I'v also run with the case open and an extra fan in there cranked up on max, so I dont think its heat problem. Anyone have any more good idea? *cries like a scared little kitten*

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Very often those new drivers make things worse. You shouldn't update at all unless you are having problems. The XP patches shouldn't hurt you - word of advice though on future XP updates; use Custom Install. That way you see each one download & install successfully. If there was a glitch, Express won't show it. Try going back to the original drivers.

If you don't think that is the problem, freeze-ups are almost always hardware related. You will have to troubleshoot the following: Memory - Hard Drive - Power Supply.

Get MemTest, and run it for at least 6 hours. If there are no messages on the MemTest working screen, you're probably okay there.

Get SpinRite 6.0, and run it at level 4 on your entire hard drive. Depending on size, could take up to 18 hours. Ocassionally check the Detailed Technical Log for problems. If it runs clean, you're okay there too.

Next, buy another power supply and replace the one you have.

If all of that has still not solved your problem, you have accomplished this: your hardware is NOT an issue; you now own great utilities which you can use for the rest of your life; and you have a spare ps which is a very good thing.

Take your system back to before your tuneup session, if you can. If you can't, another piece of advice. Get an imaging, cloning app like Acronis True Image and take regular images of your hd (only takes 30-45 min), especially before major changes. If things get screwed up, just re-image the hd.

You may have to wipe and re-install XP. If so, unless you're gaming, stay with XP's native drivers. On my system, I only had to add video. Also, make sure OS pnp in the BIOS is answered NO. Much better to let the BIOS set up your hardware. XP is fine with that. Good Luck!

cm_rollo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I manged to solve the problem, so I thought I'd share it in case someone else run into something similar. Apparently my cd recorder had broken down somehow. It could still read cd's but once in a while it would make a really wierd noise (I didnt notice this at first because I have earphones on all the time) and when I disconnected it - no more freeze-ups! I switched it with a dvd burner that I was going to get anyway and its working fine. very wierd.