PC periferals stay on after system shuts down..

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Got a question (not sure if this is the right place to post it but oh well)

Iv recently built a new system:

Thermaltake V8000A case (5 fans)
asrock 775 dual vsta
E6600
2 gb DDR400 ram
x1950 pro
250 gb seagate hdd
2 DVDRW drives
tagan 380 watt psu

It runs great, though iv got some issues with it.

Every time i shut my pc down, everything shuts down as they should, except for my modem and my mouse. They still have power going to them and my modem shows signs of activity even though there is none, while my mouse still have the laser switched on. its only after i flick the power switch off on my psu that they stop responding.

Switching the psu back on cause those two components to start up again.

I have no idea what the cause is, as iv used the psu before on another system and it worked fine.

This is not exactly a big problem as it doesnt do anything, its just a little hassle that id rather not have if i can avoid it.

sooooo, anyone got any ideas????

btw i have a motorola SURFboard SB4200 External Cable Modem and a logitech MX510 mouse

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
No worries.It is quite common for things like modem cards and lazer mice to remain on after powering down your machine.There is always some residual power running through the system.This is why it is recommended to shut down and unplug the power cord when you are installing memory or other such hardware.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
So both items are connected through the USB ports right?

This is common with many motherboards. The 5V going to the USB ports stay active even while the system is off. So it's not really a problem. It's kind of a handy feature if you have items that get charged from the USB port like a Palm Pilot. Then these items can charge without the system being on.

well, they both have USB capabilities, but I use the ps2 port for the mouse and the ethernet for the modem. oh well, just wanted to check that it wasnt damaged or whatever.

But i see what you mean about charging up stuff. makes sense :lol:

@dahak: yeah i always unplug the mains aswell just to be safe :)

mustardman24

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Well of course the modem will remain on, it's powered by an external source, ethernet doesn't power the modem. As for the mouse, I have no idea.

pat

Expert
Well of course the modem will remain on, it's powered by an external source, ethernet doesn't power the modem. As for the mouse, I have no idea.

Because you can power on most computer with the keyboard or a mouse click, power has to be present to these devices.

You can check your BIOS to see how to activate these feature.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Well of course the modem will remain on, it's powered by an external source, ethernet doesn't power the modem.

I know that much :p

what i said was that it shows activity, as in the connection is doing something.

normally it just shows that it has power but no download/upload, but when i shut down, the download/upload led lights keep flashing as if im using it.

before you ask, no i do not have any wireless output from it, so there is absolutely no possibility of someone using the connection.

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
The external modem has its own power supply. If you look carefully, you will find a power cord attached to the back of it. The power cord will most likely terminate in one of those little blocks that are such a pain to deal with. You should also find a discrete on/off switch on the back of the modem.

PS/2 ports are powered. That is why the mouse remains active. You will also observe that the ethernet port on the back of your system remains lit even when the system is turned off. All of this happens because some residual power is supplied to the MoBo to enable certain peripherals to "wake-up" the computer on reciept of input by these peripheral devices. Wake on keyboard / mouse; wake on LAN; and, if you have a fax/modem card installed in your computer, wake on ring.

Your system is working correctly. There is no need to worry. If you check your MoBo manual, it may reference one or more LEDs that indicate 5 V power flow to the board.