Sign in with
Your question

Graphic/mobo/psu issue

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2007 11:41:57 AM

Hello! Today i was putting my computer together and everything worked fine. I installed windows and turned my computer off to organize the wires some more.

When i tried to start the computer everything stopped after maybe 1 second. After a few attempts i reconnected everything and started the computer. The problem disappeared but instead a new porblem showed up. The psu (i think) begins to whistle very high, and the cpu fan is running REALLY SLOW like 1 round per second or even slower.

And also, i think a wire went in the way for the cpu fan for a few seconds, could this be the fault?

I have tried to reconnect everything but still no success. Please help me locate this problem!

Here some important info:

e4300 cpu
Zalman ZM600-HP Psu (modular)
Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

More about : graphic mobo psu issue

March 25, 2007 2:57:40 PM

I got some great news, the cpu fan have started to work again but the high pitch sound still persists. I have also found out that the high pitch sound comes from the motherboard! The old problem that it starts up and then shutsdown have also come back.

Does someone think it could be motherboard psu or maybe that i have connected wrong?
March 25, 2007 3:32:27 PM

Sounds like a faulty motherboard. Disconnect everything from the motherboard except your power supply (which should have two connections -- the 24 pin, and a 4 pin cpu) and the on off switch, and try again. Same result?
Related resources
March 25, 2007 4:04:18 PM

Do you mean disconnect the cpu and everything?
March 25, 2007 4:13:03 PM

No.
You want to test the CPU/Motherboard/video card/power supply, with no other components connected. Even disconnect the panel lights, reset switch, usb connectors, etc.

In fact the best way to do this is to have the motherboard out, on a test bench, with just cpu, memory, power supply and video card. This eliminates possible short circuits from the case mounting.
March 25, 2007 4:24:20 PM

Okey, i have removed everything and i came to conclusion that everything works fine and computer starts untill i'm putting the graphic card (8800gts). Then suddenly something (probably motherboard) starts to scream again.

Now after trying to start the computer it won't boot just as before..
March 25, 2007 4:27:43 PM

Are you sure you have the graphics card seated all the way into the slot? Sometimes it seems like it is, but it goes down one more "click". There shouldn't be any gold contacts showing on the card. Also, make certain you have the pci-x connector from the power supply connected to the video card and, if you have modular cabling on the psu, that the same cable is firmly seated in the connector at the power supply box.
March 25, 2007 4:34:39 PM

Well i haven't tried to press it in harder, that's worth trying.

I got modular power supply and i'm using a 6pin cable that goes directly from the psu and it is a Pci-e1... The canble is directly connected to psu and i can't remove it...
March 25, 2007 4:47:58 PM

Good on the psu. Don't break anything, firm, not hard -- look to see if the gold contacts on the video card are showing.
March 25, 2007 4:50:50 PM

I have made sure that the graphic card is connected and the cable to, but as soon as i connect graphic card to the computer computer and start it, the computer is as good as dead. Nothing happens, some rare times the fans rotate like 1/4.

Could it be that the graphic card is defect or the psu? Or could it be that it's not enough power from the rails of the psu? Maybe you could judge that...

Or do you have any other suggestions that i could try?
March 25, 2007 5:15:17 PM

I did a new test the computer would start with the video power connector connected but the fans isn't running. But as fast as i connect the video card with the motherboard it fails the computer fails to start.

And when I connect the video card with the motherboard and do not use the power connector the video card fan starts to work but then the scream comes again.

Maybe this could be of some help.
March 25, 2007 7:13:37 PM

Bump!

Is there ANYONE who can share some thoughts about this problem?
March 25, 2007 8:24:20 PM

Quote:
Bump!

Is there ANYONE who can share some thoughts about this problem?

I would say the mobo. Do you have any other systems that you could test the PSU with?

Look in your manual. It should tell you what each beeping sound means. Mobos give off different beeps to tell you what problems it has.

GOOD LUCK
March 25, 2007 8:25:07 PM

Post all of your components, but especially the brand and model of your PSU, include wattage and amps. Starting to sound like your psu doesn't have enough "suds."
March 25, 2007 8:33:01 PM

Quote:
Post all of your components, but especially the brand and model of your PSU, include wattage and amps. Starting to sound like your psu doesn't have enough "suds."

600w 42 max amps plenty of juice

either faulty mobo or psu.

Try is with only 1 stick of ram in. Or the other stick. Or try in another slot.
I had a friend with this same issue a couple weeks ago. Turns out one stick of ram was bad.
March 25, 2007 10:02:38 PM

Quote:
either faulty mobo or psu.
Sorry 'bout that, brain's not all here last few days (migraines). Agree with billdcat4, but leaning towards m/b as Zallman builds pretty rock solid products. Usually that type of cut-out is the result of the psu detecting something wrong and shutting the power off before it burns something up. Also agree, see if you can borrow another psu just to test the system.
March 26, 2007 5:05:48 AM

Okey, thank you both, i will try these things out... I do not have an another system but i could try with the little company town that i bought the system from. I just wanted to avoid turning the computer in because it would be sad, especially when i just bought a system i believed was rock solid, and i still think it is.
March 26, 2007 8:48:11 PM

Quote:
Okey, thank you both, i will try these things out... I do not have an another system but i could try with the little company town that i bought the system from. I just wanted to avoid turning the computer in because it would be sad, especially when i just bought a system i believed was rock solid, and i still think it is.

You dont have to RETURN it for a refund. One of the parts is probably defective and you can get a REPLACEMENT RMA.

Your system is very nice and balanced and compatible.
You dont have to turn it in, itll work fine after the defective part(s) are replaced.

gl
March 27, 2007 6:24:33 AM

Okay thank you, but I have already turned the computer in for free at my local store and they said they would fix it too today or tomorrow. I don't know how to see which part that is defective because i don't have a computer with same compability. I mean i use amd and agp on that computer.
March 28, 2007 2:54:26 AM

If they're giving you the same box back, make sure you ask them what the problem was, and how they fixed it, so you can file it away under learning experience AND keep an eye on it for future problems. Good luck. MM
March 28, 2007 2:05:34 PM

I will! Thank you for all the help mm, thanks to you i feel really welcomed here. =)!
!