Need help! Please comment!

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
SpeedFan is obiously reporting my temperatures (TCase and Cores) wrong. I'd like to get it configured right, and have the difference between Core temperatures and TCase at 15 degrees.

Prime95%20Torture.JPG

Judging from this, I believe that Core temperatures are reporting corectly. This is with 2x Prime95 Torture going on.

Thus my guess is that the TCase is being reported incorrectly. Can you confirm this conclusion? I've found where to modify the offsets, how would you recommend modifying the offsets to correct values in SpeedFan?

Some other details:

Ambient: 27 degrees celsius

BIOS idle: 40~41

TAT Idle: 44~45

TAT 100% Load: 68~72 usually 71 and 69.

vDroop: 1,36 -> 1,32 at worst.

Kaerwek

h00kman2o

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
first i would recomend to turn every thing back to stock for now . get a bassline to start from what you are reporting isent unherd of so for now go back to stock 1.8 gigs and another thing is im sure you read the temp guid befor posting this but we have no clue what kinda mobo you have or anything put your stuff in this formula

Ambient = 23c
Chipset = 965
C2D = E4300
CPU Cooler = intel stock cooler
Frequency = 1.8 gig
Load = TAT 100% 10 Minutes
Motherbord = GA-965P-S3
Vcore = 1.28 to 1.34

idel
TAT
core 0 36c to 38c
core 1 37c to 39c
speed fan
temp 1 35c ( not ure what it is)
temp 2 26c (this is the tcase )
temp 3 22c (ambiant)(offset +23)
core 0 35c to 37c (offset +15 )
core 1 36c to 39c offset +15 )(Tjunction)

load TAT 100%
core0 60c
core1 61c
speedfan
temp1 36c
temp2 53c (tcase)
temp3 22c (ambiant )
core0 62c (offset +15) (Tjunction)
core1 61c (offset +15)

if you but your data in this format people might answer lol
good luck

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Ambient = 27,5c
Chipset = 965
C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler = ThermalRight Ultra 120
Frequency = 2,4 GHz
Motherbord = Asus Commando
Vcore = Stock (1,20?)
Case: Antec 900 with 4x120mm (3 intake, 1 outtake) and 1x200mm outtake. So Airflow is good, though not at max because it won't make much difference with ambient temps around 28... and 30 at summer.

idle
TAT
core 0 36-37
core 1 37
speed fan
temp1 29 (CPU i.e. TCase)
temp2 31 (System)
temp3 27 (HD1)
core 0 35
core 1 36

load TAT 100%
core0 54
core1 53
speedfan
temp1 46 (CPU i.e. TCase)
temp2 31 (System)
temp3 27 (HD1)
core0 54
core1 54

Kaerwek

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Yes I've read that temperature guide, and understood as much that my temps are a little high when overclocking, but what I do not get is that TCase and Core 0 and 1 is just off by 5C. In the guide it's specified to be 15c.

Kaer

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
My temps that I posted was at idle, no OC. The picture was at OC. People requested an non-OC temp, i.e. stock speeds.

Kaerwek

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Kaer, I've taken another look at your data in this thread, and I can't make heads or tales out of it. Your results are conflicting and inconsistent. I can't help you unless you test and provide results as shown in the Guide, so read it again, carefully. Stock mixed with OC'd Idle and Load isn't exactly a uniform or controlled data set. I'll be glad to help you, but I can't analyze an apples and oranges fruit salad, so please try again.

Thanks,

Comp 8)

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Sorry for causing confusion with my first post with OC temperatures and later post with stock temperatures. I understand that it compared to each other causes confusion.

CompuTronix, could you please specify a little in what format you would like me to post the data of my machine. I would be glad to fill the information in, if I knew exactly in what way I should write it. If you refer to the heat score, then here it is.

Total (@ Stock, i.e. no OC at all)
(A) = 3
(B) = 1
(C) = 1
(D) = 1
(E) = 1
(F) = 1
(G) = 1
Heat Score = 10

Scale:
17 - 21 = Hot
12 - 16 = Warm
7 - 11 = Cool

What I'm confused over though, is that the offset between Core temperature and TCase is NEVER 15 degrees. Generally for me the Core temperatures are at maximum 9 degrees hotter than TCase, and this is when running TAT. At Idle, the difference is about 5-6 degrees. What I'm confused over is which to trust, as you say that the difference should always be 15 degrees. Is my TCase reported too hot or the Core reported too low? Curiously I get pretty much the same results for the Core temperatures in SpeedFan and in TAT.

Kaer

CompuTronix

Intel Master
This is shown in the Guide twice:

Background

...when expressing Idle & Load test results, it's also necessary to define the variables such as:

Tcase = Idle & Load
Tjunction = Idle & Load, Hottest Core

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Program
Motherboard = Model
Vcore = CPU Voltage

Results

Tcase (Motherboard Utilities) = 30c Idle, 50c Load (SpeedFan: CPU or Temp X)
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 45c Idle, 65c Load (SpeedFan: Core 0 / Core 1)

Variables

Ambient = 22c
Chipset = 975X
C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler= AC Freezer 7 Pro
Frequency = 3.6 Ghz
Load = TAT @ 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard = Asus P5W DH
Vcore = 1.45

The answers are in the Guide, so read it again, because there's alot of information.

Comp 8)

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Alright, I read the guide once again. I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Still I am confused over the nonexistant 15c difference between TCase and TJunction i.e. TCase + 15c = TJunction.

I will post now two result sets with first one at stock frequencies and stock voltages and the other one a little bit overclocked.

Stock frequencie Results

Tcase (SpeedFan) = 29c Idle, 46c Load
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 37c Idle, 54c Load

Stock frequencie Variables

Ambient = 27,5c
Chipset = 965
C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler = ThermalRight Ultra 120 with S-Flex 120mm fan
Frequency = 2,4 GHz
Vcore = 1,20
Case: Antec 900

Overclocked Results

Tcase (SpeedFan) = 35c Idle, 59c Load
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 42c Idle, 65c Load

Overclocked Variables

Ambient = 24,0c
Chipset = 965
C2D = E6600
Frequency = 3,0 GHz
Vcore = 1,35 set in BIOS, SpeedFan reports 1,31V which droops to about 1,27V when CPU utilization goes high.

Looking at these results myself, I'd guess that lapping my heatspreader would do some good, as well as lapping the Thermalright Ultra 120. Also I'd guess that TCase is being reported by hardware a little bit too high. Do you CompuTronix reach the same conclusion as I do?

Um, and yeah I know the ambient temperature varies in the two tests. That is because I did not do the stock frequency check now again, but it was from an earlier look. If you insist, I could do it again, but the room temperature here varies between 24 and 30 degrees celcius. To me it seems quite linear though. When ambient rises x degrees, so does TCase and TJunction rise with x degrees...

Kaer

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree. Although Tcase Idle shouldn't indicate lower than Ambient at stock clock with low Vcore, the intake temperature at floor level may be a few degrees lower than 5' higher at the wall thermostat. With this in mind, the accuracy of Idle temps are logically of lesser concern than Load temps. If you configure SpeedFan with a -5c offset for Tcase, then you'll have Load temps which make sense, and are appropriate relative to your Ambient, Vcore and CPU cooler. Do the Tjunction temps (Core 0 / Core 1) in SpeedFan agree with TAT within ~2c?

Comp 8)

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Yes, SpeeFan Thunctions temps agree with TAT pretty much within ~2c, though it may sometimes be even ~3c. Right now at Idle TAT shows 42 and 44 for the Cores as SpeedFan shows 41 and 41 for the respective Cores. I've figured out that this is pretty much normal, but I'm a little confused as to which of them to trust.

Btw, about ambient, I do not take it from the wall thermostat. I have a thermostat on the table at the level of my front intake fans. I'm trying out a new OC setup again, so posting some new results soon. Over here the sun warms the apartment up at daytime very effectively. During the summer we usually have almost 30c inside. And this is in supposedly cold Finland. :p

Kaer

Kaer

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
3,15 GHz 1,385 vCore:

Overclocked Results

Tcase (SpeedFan) = 41c Idle, 56c Load (With -5 offset!)
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 44c Idle, 67c Load (Speedfan reports 41c idle and 69c load, which's rather odd.)

Overclocked Variables

Ambient = 24,5c
Chipset = 965
C2D = E6600
Frequency = 3,15 GHz
Vcore = 1,385 set in BIOS, SpeedFan reports 1,35V which droops to about 1,31V when CPU utilization goes high.

My conclusion: Definitely need to lap that heatsink and heatspreader. I think I will try to find a stabilized system setup at maximum OC without putting vCore this high. Later when I have the time I'll lap those. Any good guides about?

Kaer

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Overclocked Results

Tcase (SpeedFan) = 41c Idle, 56c Load (With -5 offset!)
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 44c Idle, 67c Load (Speedfan reports 41c idle and 69c load, which's rather odd.)

Actually this is typical and expected. From the Guide:

Interpretation

** The second part...Since Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) is a Notebook tool, and desktop C2D's have an integrated heat spreader, TAT will typically indicate ~ 2c lower than SpeedFan.

For info on lapping, check out the Cooler and Heatsinks section of the Forum.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your rig!

Comp 8)