rosherau

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Hi I have read for a few weeks and on other sites about hdd's and peformance.
find that 74gig raptor 10,000 is the bomb.

But I am worried about the OS and swap file getting in the way of my programfiles lord of rings game read/ write SPEED etc.

So is it better to buy x2 36 gig 10000raptors (install os and swap file partitioned on first hdd then other hdd have game)
or a single 74gig 10000 raptor for os swap file and game?

Also can I disable swap file if using vista with 2 gig oif ram and a readyboost chip?
Cause if I raid then my entire theory about swap file and os demands on same hdd as game just goes.

Hardware considerations.
Western Digital 36.7G SATA Raptor 10000 rpm HDD (16M) two x2
or
Western Digital 74G SATA Raptor 10000 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache)

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
all ADFD raptors offer the same performance, but since youre using vista, it might be smarter to just get the 74GB raptor, so you dont risk running out of space quite as easily on the OS hdd (vista takes 10+ GB just by itself, with updates and all)

2*36GB raptors would be the way to go for parallel hdd performance, if space isnt at all an issue, with the pagefile and games on the second raptor, you can use raid 0, but the performance boost over a single hdd might be disappointing

i would just say though to just go for the 74GB raptor, simply due to being able to maintain str performance at a higher level for a longer amount of time, and not having to bother with the complications of raid 0 either (always have backups though regardless)

for vista, i would not disable the pagefile on only 2GB of ram